Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2011 3:17:41 PM EDT
Was wondering if anyone around the oshkosh area would be able to help me get my rifle zeroed. Not sure if I just need new rings or what. I do not have a boresighter to use and cant afford one atm. No I am not in any realy big hurry as I don't hunt.  For what it matters its a savage mod 11 .308 with a simmons scope. I replaced the crappy 2 part scope mount to a full picatinny rail. still have the same rings though.

Thanks for looking at least.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You really don't need a boresighter with a bolt action rifle.
Pull the bolt out of the rifle.
Set the rifle on some sandbags, and look through the barrel at a target.
Once you can see that you have the target centered, while looking through the barrel, move the crosshairs to the center of the target also.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
tried that and I thought I had it but the thing shoots way low even at 50 yards. Windage is centered its just the elevation I cant seem to get. This is my first rifle with a scope, irons have worked well for me out to 600 before. I wonder....  Would a full rail be slanted front to back at all or would it be dead level front to back?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Sight it in at 25 yards.  Once you are hitting at 25 yards you will be fine out to between 250 and 300.  Shoot it at the farther ranges for familiarization.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
So far at about 50 yards it is probably 12 inches or more low and that is with the adjustment to all the way up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was wondering if anyone around the oshkosh area would be able to help me get my rifle zeroed. Not sure if I just need new rings or what. I do not have a boresighter to use and cant afford one atm. No I am not in any realy big hurry as I don't hunt.  For what it matters its a savage mod 11 .308 with a simmons scope. I replaced the crappy 2 part scope mount to a full picatinny rail. still have the same rings though.

Thanks for looking at least.

Another possible problem: Will the scope adjust down if you try? I had the (for lack of a better term)the linkage break which adjusted the cross hair movement up and down. It might be the scope's "fault" that it's not working right.  Granted this was a cheap BSA scope which I ended up just tossing because it was junk anyway. I still suspect this could happen to a better brand of optic too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You also might need to shim the rings/mounts if the bases are way off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was wondering if anyone around the oshkosh area would be able to help me get my rifle zeroed. Not sure if I just need new rings or what. I do not have a boresighter to use and cant afford one atm. No I am not in any realy big hurry as I don't hunt.  For what it matters its a savage mod 11 .308 with a simmons scope. I replaced the crappy 2 part scope mount to a full picatinny rail. still have the same rings though. ..

If you get to the Green Bay area, I will give you a hand at my local range.  If there is a local range you use near Oshkosh, I may be able to meet you the next time I go to Wally's U-Pull It which will be within the next week.  I may even go on Wednesday.  I am not sure yet.    Drop me a PM
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#8]
swap the rings back to front.

I've had to do that on a friends rifle.  We ran out of adjustment down because it was shooting so high.  I cranked the scope back to factory(i kept notes) and swapped the rings back to front.  He was almost dead on after that.

Something to try.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Some bases are indeed tapered with 10 to 20 moa built into them.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

swap the rings back to front.

I've had to do that on a friends rifle.  We ran out of adjustment down because it was shooting so high.  I cranked the scope back to factory(i kept notes) and swapped the rings back to front.  He was almost dead on after that.

Something to try.

My Savage has mounts like this.  I can also say at first I bought the wrong mounts on recommendation from the folks at Cabelas, and after burning through a bunch of ammo, paid for boresighting at McMiller, and found the problem right away.  Not trying to throw a new variable into the mix, but it is something I ran into.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top