Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2011 6:24:18 PM EDT
about the conference on May 17 in Weston?

if so, thoughts on the title of the conference?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
um, fill in the rest of us, please?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Firearms surrender training
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Firearms surrender training

Huh? Disarming OC'ers and CCW'ers for stops/questioning?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Googled it .... Link
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Googled it .... Link

Do they really register for the class at a website called  '.surveymonkey.com'?

From the brochure...

To provide participants with an understanding of state and federal laws; recognize the
dangers posed by firearms in the hands of batterers to officers, victims and the community, enforce
the firearms laws and identify successful enforcement strategies, and model the best
practices in our professions.

I guess a 'batterer' with a knife, bat, chainsaw, or bag full of rabid racoons don't get their own seminar.
Guns must really be icky.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
"Firearms Surrender Statewide Training"
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
What the F-nugget?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What the F-nugget?

The program description I have is rather vague.  I'm trying to sort this our myself.  

I'll keep you guys updated as best I can without getting fired.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like training on how to disarm the citizens...?
Or maybe its for LEO's to learn how to better deal with the passage of concealed carry and how to make arrests of people carrying.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd post more info, but I don't want to create more smoke until I know how big of a fire there is: if any.

Also, I don't want some jackass to inadvertently (or intentionally) ARock me by calling, emailing, etc and somehow, well, yeah.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Understood.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd say we are already there...

Link

Fear, upon fear.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd say we are already there...

Link

Fear, upon fear.

V
OUT

The scary part is that while this part of the "Patriot Act" is suppposidly only applicable to "Terrorists", the patriot act and the department of homeland security have already painted veterans and active service members in our military as the highest threat potential for terrorism. I think that the biggest part of that is because of the fact that veterans and military are well trained and can oppose a police state.

As far as training on disarming, I can see that they make it look like the training is all about public and officer safety, BUT the sad fact is that police have an ever expanding reputation for being over judgemental and critical of those who carry. I personally, for example, openly carry because of the threat posed by a police officer that has on several occasions either stalked or harassed me. However, any time I make a report they seem to magically disappear. So I am in a position where I have to make the choice of either defending myself and my family, or falling victem to someone who has used every bit of leverage they can to try and tear apart my life.

Giving an officer the belief that they can disarm someone at will based on a judgement call is a scary proposal. Because the fact of the matter is that no matter what this training provides, it will cause some to believe that they have a right to take away legally carried firearms at their own will. This will effectively disarm the public, and cause even more conflict between officers and citizens.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#15]
The "batterers" langauge makes me think this is about confiscation after DV convictions.  Still, the idea of specific training to enforce laws that are pretty clearly unconstitutional (rights "revocation" for a misdemeanor) does sound bad, but certainly not new.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The "batterers" langauge makes me think this is about confiscation after DV convictions.  

Yes.  This is for firearm disposition after someone is convicted of domestic violence.  Since the convicted individual is no longer permitted to possess a firearm, what happens?  This isn't black helicopter / Patriot Act stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, that still doesn't make it okay, Glenn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top