Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2011 10:24:59 AM EDT
Beginning in March, there will be construction at the Shiocton Lake Park Rifle Range.  The 200 yd berm is being moved back to 100 yds.  New range rules are in place for 2011 which prohibit "ground" shooting.  A copy is being E-mailed to me and I will post it when it is received.     It sounded like during construction the 500 yd side would remain open.  I will have clarity when I go there to pay the reservation fee for the June 4th-5th Appleseed shoot.  That will be within the next couple of weeks as soon as I get the check from Fred.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Interceptor_Knight,

When you are there can you check the time frame given for this construction?  Will it take 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc?  Also, if there is a a list of the closure days/dates that would be great.

I am sure you will cover that, but I wanted to check.

The reason I ask is we drove up there twice this year, not so much a big deal for me, since I am 22 minutes away, but it was for my buddy from Oshkosh.  The other 8 or so times I was there there were no problems.  

One time there was a Fireman's Picnic, the other was for a Cabbage Launch.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a sample......

•It is the responsibility of all Range Users to know and obey all range rules.  Before using the range for the first time, all users must read the Range Rules and sign and an acknowledgment that they have read the Range Rules and agree to abide by the rules.
•Know where others are at all times.
Shoot only at authorized targets.
•Do not handle a firearm or stand at the firing line while others are downrange.
•While others are down range, all shooters must step away from the firing line.
•Stop shooting immediately upon the command “Cease firing.”
•All firearms on the firing line shall be handled in a safe manner
•Keep the muzzle direction downrange at all times or under your control
•Keep finger off the trigger until ready to fire
•Keep all firearms unloaded and all actions open until on the firing line and ready to fire
•Any firearms requiring maintenance shall be removed from the firing line to a designated safety area ONLY after it has been cleared of all ammunition
•Keep the action of the firearm open at all times except when actually shooting or holstering the firearm
Shoot only proper targets that have been approved by the Village Board.  No shooting at unauthorized targets (cans, bottles, boxes, etc.).  At no time shall any individual discharge a firearm in a manner that potentially jeopardizes the safety of others. This may include shooting at target stands or frames, any object containing glass, or any such material that may cause potentially dangerous debris.  Shoot only so that the projectile impacts the backstop berm.  
•All shooters are required to pick up all targets they used and all spent ammunition casing when finished with shooting.  Failure to retrieve such targets and casing shall be considered littering and subject the violator to possible fines and loss of shooting privileges at the range.
•Everyone within close proximity to an active firing line must wear eye and ear protection at all times.  Spectators are also required to wear ear and eye protection on the firing line.
•Prior to leaving the firing line, a shooter must unload and make their firearm safe

•All target materials will be either paper or cardboard, or those provided by the Firearms Range.  No other material to be used.
•No skeet or clay target shooting
•Shooters are responsible for removing their target material
•Shooters are responsible for picking up all their brass/shell casings
•Litterers will be cited for violations
•No firearms or devices may be used on the range that exceed the design specifications without the prior approval of the Village Board

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Apparently, .50 BMG will still be allowed....
Village of Shiocton  Meeting
Regular Meeting December 13, 2010

The Chief received a complaint from a property owner near the Rifle Range. The person had been hunting over the weekend and said he saw bullets. The Chief looked into it and determined that it could not have been bullets from the range given where the man was sitting; however, just to be safe the Chief closed the range for the weekend.
Harold Meisenhelder also asked about the people shooting 50 cal. And the Chief said it is legal. The future work being done at the Rifle range will help the richochets.

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Who's Harold?
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who's Harold?

A Village Trustee Candidate.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who's Harold?

A Village Trustee Candidate.....

He needs mind his own bidness...
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He needs mind his own bidness...

It is a legitimate question when so many rounds are leaving the range on a regular basis....
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
They must have been reading the "early planning" threads for Roasted Nuts II here...  
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The new rules arent out of line. Many of us have been there and seen the trash left by others on the range. While the new regs will limit the fun shoot, they are not beyond reason.

With so few public ranges in this state I am for one happy it will remain open to the public.

Have they extended the center berm yet? I havent been up there in a couple years
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the range going to be manned by someone now? Every time I've been up to the range, there was no one of any official capacity there, so who is this theoretical person who is providing and/or approving targets?
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
So does no "ground" shooting mean no mat on the ground –– or shooting down into the ground at oh, um, what was that –– oh yeah, tennis balls?  Appleseed???

I also don't see steel targets allowed, that will suck.  Just ordered from the MGM December Specials with the intent of hiking up that way.  

But I do agree with the general concept that excluding fun shoot –– the rules aren't unreasonable –– and the place is amazing for what it is.  If there are issues, better to fix them before the folks who live there (and provide it) are looking to shut it down.

Guess it is time to join RCLRC even though it is a bit out of the way.

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 2:59:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is the range going to be manned by someone now? Every time I've been up to the range, there was no one of any official capacity there, so who is this theoretical person who is providing and/or approving targets?

There will not be a range officer on site at this time.  Any special event is required to staff one however.  That language is as a blanket so that it is easy for someone to be told that their target is not appropriate if the patrolling town Police officer shows up.

•Authorized and trained Range Safety Officers shall have full authority over all shooting activities conducted at the firearms range.  Absent any Range Safety Officer or Hunter Safety Instructor(s), Shiocton Police Department shall have authority over all shooting activities conducted at the firearms range.
•Department of Natural Resources will cite any and all violators pertaining to DNR rules/regulations
•All violators will be prosecuted to the full extent of any and all Federal, State, County and Village ordinances. There will be no first time warning as all shooters will have read the rules and signed an acknowledgment that they understood said rules.
•All violators are subject to expulsion from the range complex

All users are required to enforce these rules.  All users are expected to politely point out to any user in violations of these rules, the nature of the violation, request they stop and if continued violation occurs, report the incident along with the violators name to the Shiocton Police Department (920-986-3294) for further action.  

Penalty:  The Shiocton Police Department will review all incidents and will take one of the following actions:
No action
Written warning/Citation for Municipal Court
Temporary restriction of use/removal from the range
Loss of privileges
or other penalties as prescribed by the Village Board
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 3:04:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So does no "ground" shooting mean no mat on the ground –– or shooting down into the ground at oh, um, what was that –– oh yeah, tennis balls?  Appleseed???

I also don't see steel targets allowed, that will suck.

Ground shooting means taking whatever garbage you bring, throwing it on the ground and shooting it.   Although shooting TVs and Lawnmowers is fun, they are not allowed anymore without explicit prior permission.  All it would take is a phone call regarding steel targets.   The same with bowling pins, etc.  If the rounds go into the berm and the mess is cleaned up, I am sure that they will be a little flexible.  The problem is people not shooting into the berm and instead shooting into the ground and skipping their rounds out of the range.   Appleseed is 100% compliant with the letter and intent of the rules already.

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm totally fine with the new rules as it keeps a nice range open and clean. They aren't really restrictive either, just rules that makes sense. About the only thing that sucks to me is no longer being able to shoot expired bottles of Gatorade.

I just hope they put those target stands back up. Last time I was there only one was up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

well i didn't see anything prohibiting silenced weapons and full auto. so your int he clear. but i guess my quest of finding out what appliances to hide behind in a house gunfight is over. no steel or clay targets kinda sucks because. clay targets are really easy to see who wins a shoot out between me and my friends. dose anyone know where you get bowling pins?
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well i didn't see anything prohibiting silenced weapons and full auto. so your int he clear. but i guess my quest of finding out what appliances to hide behind in a house gunfight is over. no steel or clay targets kinda sucks because. clay targets are really easy to see who wins a shoot out between me and my friends. dose anyone know where you get bowling pins?

Yeah... I know... and for WI... that's not bad as most are against MG's and .50s. But still... This seems like a big step back. Was there really a problem that needed fixing? Every time I was there, people were friendly, safe, and cleaned up after themselves.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#18]
i have to admit there was a problem there. most people would pack up and leave and leave targets there and bottles and all sorts of crap downrange. now as much as i like the shooting gallery that that provides is it really was a mess. now i think banning steel targets is a little out of line. and i never experienced it but apparently you could get some stray bullets from the 200 yard range on the 500yard range while you were down range but that could have been fixed buy a larger berm. but it is what it is and its better then the place totally shutting down.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
..... and i never experienced it but apparently you could get some stray bullets from the 200 yard range on the 500yard range while you were down range but that could have been fixed buy a larger berm. but it is what it is and its better then the place totally shutting down.

The problem is that people are not shooting into the berms.  The size of the berm does not matter if you are ground shooting 150 yards in front of the berm.    There were strays coming from the "shotgun" (people use it for handguns) range and that has an absolutely massive horseshoe berm!!!    

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
..... and i never experienced it but apparently you could get some stray bullets from the 200 yard range on the 500yard range while you were down range but that could have been fixed buy a larger berm. but it is what it is and its better then the place totally shutting down.

The problem is that people are not shooting into the berms.  The size of the berm does not matter if you are ground shooting 150 yards in front of the berm.    There were strays coming from the "shotgun" (people use it for handguns) range and that has an absolutely massive horseshoe berm!!!    

A cold range is a cold range. Yes, it may be a pain to coordinate all ranges, but that's the only way to be 100% sure you don't catch lead while heading downrange.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A cold range is a cold range. Yes, it may be a pain to coordinate all ranges, but that's the only way to be 100% sure you don't catch lead while heading downrange.

The firing lines are across a field, at a 45 degree angle and a few hundred yards from each other.  There is no line of sight and no method for practical communication in place.    

If the new pistol range is in place, the Chief said that we can officially close the offending current shotgun/pistol range for the weekend which will take it out of the equation.  If not, I will be ensuring that current safety standards are being followed.  We only use the 500 yd range for Sunday afternoon, so even if it is not "officially" closed, I plan to post signs and warnings before we go down range to set up targets and begin shooting.   Any problems at all and I WILL make it cold..    There is always a patrolling officer on duty for support in enforcing rules if need be.

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The firing lines are across a field, at a 45 degree angle and a few hundred yards from each other.  There is no line of sight and no method for practical communication in place.    

There must be another part I am unaware of, because I remember2 sections from the arfcom shoot.

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There must be another part I am unaware of, because I remember2 sections from the arfcom shoot.

When you first drive into Lake Park, just past the ball diamond you go left instead of staying to the right and going down the dirt road to go to the Archery and Rifle Ranges.

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you first drive into Lake Park, just past the ball diamond you go left instead of staying to the right and going down the dirt road to go to the Archery and Rifle Ranges.

ahhh....gotcha. Wasn't aware of that... or wasn't paying attention.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:dose anyone know where you get bowling pins?

IF tehy forbid ground shooting, they'll probably forbid bowling pins.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The firing lines are across a field, at a 45 degree angle and a few hundred yards from each other. There is no line of sight and no method for practical communication in place.

If the new pistol range is in place, the Chief said that we can officially close the offending current shotgun/pistol range for the weekend which will take it out of the equation. If not, I will be ensuring that current safety standards are being followed. We only use the 500 yd range for Sunday afternoon, so even if it is not "officially" closed, I plan to post signs and warnings before we go down range to set up targets and begin shooting. Any problems at all and I WILL make it cold.. There is always a patrolling officer on duty for support in enforcing rules if need be.

I did one Appleseed and it was at Shiocton. I recall going up to the targets and having people shooting on the long distance side –– and hearing that whizzing noise of rounds passing off to the side. I am sure they were "safe" (?) but it certainly is an uncomfortable feeling.

Quick question –– if you are "taking over" the place for Appleseed and paying a fee –– is there also an insurance requirement, and if so –– I would assume –– it is the parent org with that coverage?

There is no question that there is room for improvement and I am happy to see them do it before there is a problem that causes the place to be shut down. It still amazes me what is provided, and maintained, by a municipality, for little $. I'm also sure not everyone pays the box as they should.

I would add that even after Roasted Nuts I, there was some garbage (mainly ammo boxes) that needed cleanup when everyone was packed up and gone. Was it really bad –– no, but it needed cleanup for sure. I can see the issue.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I did one Appleseed and it was at Shiocton. I recall going up to the targets and having people shooting on the long distance side –– and hearing that whizzing noise of rounds passing off to the side. I am sure they were "safe" (?) but it certainly is an uncomfortable feeling.

Quick question –– if you are "taking over" the place for Appleseed and paying a fee –– is there also an insurance requirement, and if so –– I would assume –– it is the parent org with that coverage?

I have been attending Shiocton Appleseeds for the past 3 years and instructing at the past 2.  This will be my 4th and 3rd accordingly.  Last year down by the 500 yard berm is the first time that any rounds were actually incoming and there was a chance that someone would catch one during an Appleseed.  These were coming from the shotgun/pistol range bowl North of the Rifle Range.  The "whizzing" sounds coming from the long range side while we are on the 200 yd side are of rounds going parallel to us behind the side berm.    Hopefully the new 100 yard berm will be in place by the June 4th-5th 2011 Appleseed and things will be better all around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top