Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2010 3:57:05 PM EDT
All day today, I've been having a strong urge to dust off the 22-250 and get it sighted in, and go after coyotes, esp. during the holidays. I'm at work, so I can't indulge in the first part right now!
I haven't fired it in a few years, and never did work up a really good load, although I did have one that was looking promising at .75" at 100yds (would have to travel for longer range). I do know this rifle likes the 55gr bullets, but I'd have to look at my notes to remember everything. I do recall I did not like the stick powder I was using (4895? or 40XX? Thats why I have notes!) cause it wasn't metering well. Is there something that works well in this round and still meters well?
Is there anyplace besides ganders in the madison area that might carry said powder?
All the factory ammo (all 45-55gr) was grouping at 1" or less, although the generic 40gr I used to get on paper would have the occasional flyer.
I'm pretty dang sure I'm gonna be going to the range tomorrow and get it on the paper.

And when does the last gun deer (ML?) end, so I don't have to wear blaze orange?
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
ML ends Dec.8 and then an antlerless hunt goes from the 9th to the 12th.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Recobs in Sauk City is a good place for reloading supplies.  It is 1000x better than Gander Mountain.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Recobs in Sauk City is a good place for reloading supplies.  It is 1000x better than Gander Mountain.

Very, very, very, very true.
I try to stop there whenever i am in the area.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I've tried Varget, and a few other stick powders in my .22-250, and it didn't shoot as well as I would have liked. It seems to do well with Winchester 760 behind any good 55 grain hp, or soft point, and shoots one hole groups at 100 yards with Combined Technoligies 50 grain, silver ballistic tips.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Dont forget if your in the CWD zone, there is another season coming up around christmas I dont hunt in that zone so I dont know specifics as well as the T-zone hunt on the 9-12th in herd control units.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Gander Mtn sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Alliant Reloader 12 but they don't make it anymore.  I use 55 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]
midwestern shooter supply in lomira is a great place for reloading components as well.
fair prices too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Bill's in Lomira has better service and prices than Midwestern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top