Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 5:29:27 AM EDT
Just moved to WI and Im looking for places to shoot. I see thatYellowstone Wildlife Area has a 50 and 100 range, anyone have any experience shooting there?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Use it all the time. It's a bit rough, but there is no one there to give you grief about mag dumps, drawing from a holster, or double taps.

Be aware it's closed on Tuesdays for maintenance and/or LEO use.

There is also a 200 yard firing line that is usable if no one is using the 100 yard line.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
My Fiance and I go there quite a bit too. As mentioned, it's not the newest or the trendiest. But if you time it right you can have the place to yourself. I usually leave five or ten bucks in the donation box as we're leaving.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#3]
What road is this on?  No mention of it on the map from the DNR, and conflicting statements on other forums about it.

I see something that looks like berms off of County Road F with no lot, just a road into what looks like a field.  (This is on the West side of the lake.)

So it's not surprising it's little used, info about it is hard to come by.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
County Road F, ~1.5 miles south of the park entrance on the left side of the road (if you're traveling south on F).
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

County Road F, ~1.5 miles south of the park entrance on the left side of the road (if you're traveling south on F).

I would say it's pretty much exactly one mile according to my odometer.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Globally speaking, what's a half mile between friends?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Globally speaking, what's a half mile between friends?

When I first tried to find the place, I actually stopped at the ranger station in the park to ask where it was.  The lady working told me one mile up the road, and so I figured about 3/4 to 1 1/2 miles down the road.  Turns out she was exact.

Cool story, I know.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Usually down there Wed afternoons, Look for the friendly BFL sticker on a Chevy pickup. II can be weird down there at times. No range master.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
That place makes me really appreciate the private ranges that I'm a member of...  but, if it is the only place you have to shoot, it is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Its not a bad place to shoot.  You do meet some characters down there (some shouldn't be handing firearms).  I'm gonna try to get out there maybe this Saturday for a little pistol work and to dial in a new front sight I put on the AR
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its not a bad place to shoot.  You do meet some characters down there (some shouldn't be handing firearms).  I'm gonna try to get out there maybe this Saturday for a little pistol work and to dial in a new front sight I put on the AR

I like it well enough.  Don't go there much anymore as I joined a new club with steel ranges and is putting in action shooting bays soon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the feedback! I wont be able to make it out there for a while, but it sounds like a decent solution till I can scope out some clubs and such.

Are there any target stands at all, or should I plan on bringing my own?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#13]
see you all there this Saturday!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top