Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2010 1:19:53 PM EDT
My dad lives in IL and I want to give him one of my ak's. Do I have to use a IL FFL or a WI one?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My dad lives in IL and I want to give him one of my ak's. Do I have to use a IL FFL or a WI one?

Have to use an IL FFL

Needs to be sent to the FFL

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to use an IL FFL

can I just bring it to the FFL instead of shipping it?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to use an IL FFL

If you are going to bring it to the FFL, why don't you just hand it over to your dad?  Is that illegal too?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to use an IL FFL

If you are going to bring it to the FFL, why don't you just hand it over to your dad? Is that illegal too?

yes, his dad is an IL resident.

OP, does your dad have a local FFL that he has done business with?

If so a call to that FFL could possibly answer some of your questions.

Also you could ask in the IL HTF about a transfer friendly FFL in your dad's area.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to use an IL FFL

If you are going to bring it to the FFL, why don't you just hand it over to your dad? Is that illegal too?

yes, his dad is an IL resident.

OP, does your dad have a local FFL that he has done business with?

If so a call to that FFL could possibly answer some of your questions.

Also you could ask in the IL HTF about a transfer friendly FFL in your dad's area.

I actually posted over there a little bit ago

The plan was to just bring it down this weekend and sign it over but I guess its not legal. Stupid gun laws
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You can take the rifle down to IL, and do a xfer there.  Downside is that there is a transfer $$ involved, adn a 24 hr wait.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Seriously, it's your dad.  Just give him the gun.  We all have to use some common sense when dealing with these stupid laws.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seriously, it's your dad.  Just give him the gun.  We all have to use some common sense when dealing with these stupid laws.

Yes it's ok to break the law for your dad.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Sarah Brady did it... she bought a hunting rifle and gave it to her son as a gift (he lived in a differant state). The feds didn't do anything after it was made public, and they said because it was "family", it was OK for her. But she has "connections"... the OP doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say your dad lives 1 mile away which just happens to be across the border in Illinois.  When he gets checked into the nursing home are you really going to bring his entire gun collection to a FFL and pay $25 per gun to transfer each in your name????  I'm calling bullshit to anyone that says yes.....unless you happen to be an FFL like Flamethrower and can do it yourself.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say your dad lives 1 mile away which just happens to be across the border in Illinois.  When he gets checked into the nursing home are you really going to bring his entire gun collection to a FFL and pay $25 per gun to transfer each in your name????  I'm calling bullshit to anyone that says yes.....unless you happen to be an FFL like Flamethrower and can do it yourself.

I am bound by federal law.

I think most dealers would cut a guy a break for a transfer on a collection. But that is just me.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Dad was at Gat guns in dundee today and asked them about there transfer fee. They told him that since it's a border state you don't need a FFL just do the normal bill of sale for a transfer

Ok I'm getting confused
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#13]
GAT is WRONG.  

More thasn a few threads with links to BATFE about cross state transfers.  Receiver needs an FFL in his state.  "Border states" (not federal law, state law depending on where you go)  is only about buying long guns from an FFL in an adjoining state.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I understand the border state rule in IL to be what allows us to purchase a firearm from a FFL (and Ammo) without the FOID –– for certain purposes of course (i.e. hunting).

That said, I'm not completely clear on the whole thing. I saw this open house at the place below (with pig roast and gun raffle) and thought "what the heck" –– seems worth the two hour drive (near Rockford) next weekend (12th)... but can I purchase a sweet deal on a rifle or even transfer a raffle win easily? I think so. Maybe. Kind of.

Oh well, I can at least check out the wares and eat some fresh roast hog-on-a-bun.

I also noticed these folks were at a .50 BMG competition at Ft. McCoy this past weekend. I saw it too late but thought it would be an interesting thing to go visit and watch <drooling>. Didn't realize such events were open/hosted there. I guess it's no different than events hosted at Camp Perry.

http://www.schryvergunsales.com

ETA raffle items:

http://www.schryvergunsales.com/openhouseraffleitems.htm

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:52:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Transactions across state lines require an FFL. Plain and simple.

However, I am unaware of any law that prohibits you from keeping a firearm at a place other than your own residence. If you leave the rifle at your dad's place so you can shoot it when you are there, so be it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#16]
FWIW, my father-in-law passed away two years ago.  He had South Dakota rancher's guns, all tools that were used hard.  I wanted his varmint gun, a Marlin 39 that leaned next to the garage door, to pass along to my sons.  There were only two legal ways I could find to bring that rifle to Wisconsin.

(1) transfer through an FFL, or
(2) bring it home on my C&R FFL as it was more than 50 years old.  

Since then, Dave of The Gun Garage beautifully polished and reblued it.  Once I replace the cracked butt plate it will be a nice heirloom for one of my sons.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Transactions across state lines require an FFL. Plain and simple.

However, I am unaware of any law that prohibits you from keeping a firearm at a place other than your own residence. If you leave the rifle at your dad's place so you can shoot it when you are there, so be it.

Two words, Cav Arms.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually no you don't need an FFL for that, there is wording in ATF regs that specifically mention estates and wills.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Two words, Cav Arms.

I fail to see how this applies. The Cav Arms case involves an FFL whom is required by law to keep records of all transactions, and whom also is required to keep his book up to date with firearms that have or have not been sold.

I am not implying that "leave it at your father's house" means "transfer it to him across state lines in violation of federal law". What I am stating, is that as far as I know it is not illegal to leave your firearm at someone's house (normal laws apply, i.e. not a felon, etc).
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
where I see the similarity with the Cav Arms debacle was the issue the ATF had with firearms stored in his personal residence that belonged to someone who lived in another state. Granted the waters were muddied by his being an FFL but it's one of those nasty things with the ATF, if they don't find the big score they're looking for they will still find something no matter how small and make your life a living hell.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok all good.  Ma called the state police and the guy was cool. He told her its stupid and just a paper trail but ya you should go through a FFL it is law.

So that's that. told the old boy he can pay his own transfer fee and he was fine with it and nobody has to worry about the ATF
He also confirmed that estate transfers do not need a FFL

Thanks everybody for the advice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top