Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 4:59:44 PM EDT
Can I use a minnow trap to catch minnows for personal use on/in the lake I caught them on/in?

V
OUT
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can I use a minnow trap to catch minnows for personal use on/in the lake I caught them on/in?

V
OUT

You are going to have to read the regulations for yourself, I have always gotten my minnows from a bait shop, so this is new to me.  

Go here to see the regs then slide the bar down to pages 16 and 17.  There are multiple references about minnows if you hit the binoculars and type "minnow" in the search box.  There is worry about the impact of VHS (Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia) being spread to non-infected rivers, lakes, etc.  VHS is a relatively new disease to the area, it only showed up a couple of years ago.

Welcome to Wisconsin!

DNR Fishing Regs
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks so much for the link.

It is leagal here at the lake.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You can as long as the body of water is not suspected to have vhs.(Mississippi River,Winnebago system,Great lakes,Wisconsin River up to the Prairie du sac dam and all waters connect up to the first impassable barrier to fish.)  If you do not fall into one of thoes systems you can collect minnows for use only in that body of water. The minnows however can not be transported live away from the body of water, but they can be killed and used for dead bait on the original body of water unless preserved then they are ok for any body of water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top