Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 9:03:04 AM EDT
I will be going from Buffalo, NY to WA state and I would like to purchase a handgun along the way so I can protect myself during the trip. I am looking for a glock 23. I cannot purchase one in NY as i turn 21 2 days before i leave and the permit take 6-8 months. Would i be able to purchase a handgun in Wisconsin?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Handguns are not able to be transferred from a dealer to an out of state resident. You can buy one from a dealer in WI (If you find one that is willing to do it), but he must ship it to an FFL in your state for the actual transfer. What you can do is private purchase, but I don' t know of any private purchases listed.

In short, you will not be able ot buy one from a FFL outside of NY. Long guns yes, handguns no.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Handguns are not able to be transferred from a dealer to an out of state resident. You can buy one from a dealer in WI (If you find one that is willing to do it), but he must ship it to an FFL in your state for the actual transfer. What you can do is private purchase, but I don' t know of any private purchases listed.

In short, you will not be able ot buy one from a FFL outside of NY. Long guns yes, handguns no.

Couldn't even do a private purchase.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Why can't he do a private sale?

Say I visit a cousin in a different state and said cousin wishes to sell me a handgun. Why isn't such a private sale able to be done?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why can't he do a private sale?

Say I visit a cousin in a different state and said cousin wishes to sell me a handgun. Why isn't such a private sale able to be done?

Per federal law, all FTF private sales are only legal between residents of the same state. Your cousin would need to ship the handgun to a FFL in your state, and that FFL would need to follow the handgun sales procedures in your state when transfering it to you (background checks, licenses/permits to purchase, waiting periods of your state would all apply).

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I will be going from Buffalo, NY to WA state and I would like to purchase a handgun along the way so I can protect myself during the trip.

The big picture is that you can not "legally" protect yourself during the trip without a CCW permit recognized by all states along the way.   Many states have strict handgun posession laws.  Do yourself a favor and read the laws for each state which you are traveling through.  Buy yourself a 870, a 18" barrel  and a ATI top folding stock.  It will be equally "legally" accessble as handgun during the trip.    TAke a step back, look at all of your options, and do what you feel you have to do to protect yourself.  The only official answers you are going to get on the board are those regarding what is "legal".....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You cannot legally buy and receive  a pistol in a state other than NY, if you're a NY resident.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top