Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2007 6:08:42 PM EDT
The area I hunt around Black River Falls has lots of trees and the past two years I have had deer jump out on me within 25 yards.  This creates quick reactions to ID the target and get off a shot.  I don't think my bolt action 30-06 bolt action is the best option for this scenario and am considering a 6.8 SPC or 458 SOCOM upper for next year.  Does any one have experience hunting with these around here and what optics do people use on their AR's for hunting?  Thanks for any input.....12 months to gather the cash and be ready for next season.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Trick is to get the deer to stop close by your stand.I shot a doe this year at 10yds from my stand by bleating at her and she stopped and looked up! I shot her with my RRA AR15 .223 with a 64gr winchester bullet to her neck.Instant dead!My RRA has a Nikon buckmasters 3x9 on it.Great scope.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Try bowhunting for awhile.
You'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I chose the 50 beowulf

I have taken 11 deer with it in the last 3 years

got three this year farthest shot was 30 yards.

shot a doe opening day and had a six point within spitting distance, and I am not kidding....

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=351482

A red dot for me works best. I have taken some on the run....a 1.5 x 4 or something would also be a good choice for thick stuff. but the quickness of the dot is hard to beat.

I would think the 6.8 and the 458 are good choices too I dont think you can go wrong with any of them

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback.....I have an EoTech and am leaning towards a 6.8 SPC because it would be a simple change and re-sight of the EoTech.....I thought about putting it on my 30-06 ....not sure if it would stand up to the beating...but if your survives on the 50, then maybe it will.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the Eotech. Very user friendly and very durable.

I have one on my beowulf and no problems whatsoever.  They even make magnifiers that are compatible with the Eotech if you want to extend your range.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Ditto on the +1. I got my first deer with an AR10 and an EOTech. (Opening day this year)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
My 6.8 deer gun

Sold off my .30-06 bolt gun to pay for it.  I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I am leaning towards the 6.8 now after the responces and doing reading in the AR section.  I may have to sell off the 30-05 to make room in the safe though.....its full and the wife will notice a second safe.  I think the CMMG 6.8 upper is in my future.  The BRD is weeding out my other guns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top