Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 1:22:31 PM EDT
Alright, so my friend and I went to the fun show down in Janesville today. He wanted to pick up either a good S&W 3rd Gen 9mm or a 9mm 1911 of some sort. Everytime he found something that he liked and offered to buy it, the seller would ask how old he is, to which he's 18. The seller's eyes would practically turn over and then say something like "Sorry, but you have to be 21". My friend left the show empty-handed.
Being it seems like most of you guys on here are well over 21, I'd like to get some perspective on this issue. Whats the big deal about selling handguns to people who are 21?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That's been federal law since 1968. 21 to purchase a handgun, 18 for a long gun. However, a 18 year-old can possess a handgun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Really? I've been told here that those who are under 21 can purchase a handgun anywhere except from/through a FFL...

Maybe most of the sellers were FFL's. The private party sellers usually put some kind of sign out stating that. I always assume the rest are dealers, even if they are a one table operation. At least that is my experience at the local fun shows.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
A private seller with a table selling lots of guns at a gunshow would most likely get in trouble with the BATF. You need an FFL to be a dealer in firearms making a buisness out of it, buying a table at a gunshow would seem to qualify as making a buisness out of it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
An 18 year old may legally purchase a handgun the same way they may legally purchase NFA items.  From a private party.  It's just that most people aren't aware of that.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A private seller with a table selling lots of guns at a gunshow would most likely get in trouble with the BATF. You need an FFL to be a dealer in firearms making a buisness out of it, buying a table at a gunshow would seem to qualify as making a buisness out of it.

I hope that wink means that you are joking.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
An 18 year old may legally purchase a handgun the same way they may legally purchase NFA items.  From a private party.  It's just that most people aren't aware of that.  

It seems like a lot of people really don't know what the laws are...
Out of the 6 people I asked if they were dealers, only one said yes, so that would make the rest ignorant.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope that wink means that you are joking.

The couple gun shows I have been to, all the tables with guns for sale were clearly running as a buisness, and were thus dealers, filling out 4473s for each gun sold etc. However I have not been to many, so I guess I am incorrect in assuming it was the norm? The private parties selling guns usually walked around with a rifle or 2 over their shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Usual private party sellers I see ahve big signs saying "No Paperwork, private sale" along with rediculous pricing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Usual private party sellers I see ahve big signs saying "No Paperwork, private sale" along with rediculous pricing.

That sounds dangerously close to dealing in firearms without a license.

Quick google search: www.usdoj.gov/usao/az/press_releases/2007/2007-104(Coolidge).pdf
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
that show today was fucking sad to say the least
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:36:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No kidding. Big waste of $5.

Oh I did find it funny that one vendoor had signs up "You must show your FOID car to handle or buy firearms"
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:09:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding. Big waste of $5.

Oh I did find it funny that one vendoor had signs up "You must show your FOID car to handle or buy firearms"

yeah i saw that shit...he can keep his derringers and single action revolvers for himself haha.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

LMFAO!!

Yes, you can possess handguns at 18 in Wisconsin. I did when i was 18. But you must be 21 to purchase from a dealer.

It could be your demeanor too. When you come from a very anti-gun town, wanting to do a FTF transaction with no paperwork, want to pay in cash, and when you're asked if you have a clean background, you get offended and accuse the seller of having poor "judgement and character"....

I'm just saying
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
*Sigh*
Oh well, I guess now would be a good time to stock up on rifles that'll probably get banned after '08...

I never declined to doing paperwork
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
*Sigh*
Oh well, I guess now would be a good time to stock up on rifles that'll probably get banned after '08...

It's never too late to stock up. Heck, 10 years ago, SKS's were under $100. Machineguns? Most were around $1000.

Now is always a good time. Tomorrow is the wrong time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
*Sigh*

It's never too late to stock up. Heck, 10 years ago, SKS's were under $100. Machineguns? Most were around $1000.

Now is always a good time. Tomorrow is the wrong time.

Lol, yeah. Plus those $100 SKS' came with 1000rds of Wolf...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top