Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2007 7:53:51 AM EDT
With the states preemption law can the county say I can't open carry on a public bike trail? Hunting is banned on the trails, but the sign also says no guns or snowmobiles on the trail. I don't plan to hunt.

I did talk a bit aobut this with a lawyer, but even he wasn't 100% sure that the county could or could not ban guns on bike trails.

Perhaps I should talk to one of the members of the County Board and see if that can be changed.........
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Like everything else, Just cause it's not legal does not mean you wont have to PROVE it was legal to a court.

Good Luck getting the county to change it. I have often considered carrying on the fox river trail in green bay. But don't have the cash for a lawyer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
With the states preemption law can the county say I can't open carry on a public bike trail? Hunting is banned on the trails, but the sign also says no guns or snowmobiles on the trail. I don't plan to hunt.

If you are on the trail with a gun, the DNR will consider you hunting.  By posting the sign, they are making you subject to prosecution.  Without an open carry law in Wisconsin, we are subject to all kinds of stupidity.   It would take someone with the resources to fight a citation to make an impact and change things.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are on the trail with a gun, the DNR will consider you hunting.  By posting the sign, they are making you subject to prosecution.  Without an open carry law in Wisconsin, we are subject to all kinds of stupidity.   It would take someone with the resources to fight a citation to make an impact and change things.  

How does the DNR have anything to do with a county owned/run bike trail. You don't need a firearm to hunt, and just because you have one does not mean you are hunting.

And we don't need the open carry law.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting idea....if it says no hunting, but not no guns... you could go for unconcealed in a holster.  Either they let it go, or else they do what happens in many cities and you get it for disorderly...

Never thought about this before.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Interesting idea....if it says no hunting, but not no guns... you could go for unconcealed in a holster.  Either they let it go, or else they do what happens in many cities and you get it for disorderly...

Never thought about this before.

It says no hunting and no firearms. I've talked to one of the members of our county board about it.  He recomended that I discuss my concerns with the DA and see what he says. I'm waiting for a call back from the DA's office.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top