Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 2:13:40 PM EDT
Just heard a breaking news story stating that Walker is pulling out of the Governor's race. This should be interesting...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just heard a breaking news story stating that Walker is pulling out of the Governor's race. This should be interesting...

WTF? Nice meeting you today at the club
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Lack of money needed to defeat doyle so he's backing his friend Mark Green.

Home  
Family  
Biography  
Walker News  
Press Releases  
The Walker Weekly  
Issues  
Photos & Video  
Students for Walker  
Contact Scott  

Dear Volunteers -

Last night I made the very difficult decision to end my campaign for Governor.  Rather than explain this to you in an email, I felt it best to attach my speech from the 5th Congressional District Caucus tonight.  I look forward to seeing you in the coming weeks and months as we work to defeat Jim Doyle.  

Very simply I wish to say: Thank you.

-Scott

Tonight is special for me.  Thirteen years ago (when I was the 5th district chair), I announced my candidacy for the State Assembly at this caucus.  Many of the special people who helped me in that race are here tonight.  

A year ago, I got into the race for Governor for three reasons:

- First and foremost, Jim Doyle is wrong for Wisconsin.

- Second, I thought our campaign had the best chance of defeating Doyle.

- Third, I thought that I would make one heck of a good Governor.

Over the past year, Tonette and I traveled all across the state.  From the blue hills of northwest Wisconsin, to the bluffs along the Mississippi; from the shores of Lake Superior to the top of Rib Mountain; from the plains of southern Wisconsin to the frozen tundra of Green Bay, we were re-introduced to the state we fell in love with so many years ago.  

Along the way, we had some great help too.  Over 10,000 donors helped us raise $1.5 million.  Hundreds of great volunteers helped us hand out a half million flyers all over Wisconsin. And, with your help, we took on important issues like the repeal of the automatic annual gas tax increase and the need for ethics reform.  

When Jim Doyle filed his report in January, it showed that his campaign raised as much money as was spent on his entire campaign four years ago.  To defeat Doyle, our campaign would have to pick up the pace in fundraising.  Specifically, we set a goal for a minimum amount we had to raise by the end of March to have a chance against Doyle in the fall.  

Unfortunately, we did not hit that goal.  

Looking at the numbers this week, it became clear to me that our fundraising totals would only allow us to run a campaign in a fraction of the 72 counties in this state.  In addition, our resources would be so limited that most of it would likely be spent on ads attacking our Republican opponent, an un-appealing option for me, which will only bolster Jim Doyle's re-election chances.

Then, even if we made it through the primary, our campaign would face an enormous challenge against the Governor.  A campaign that does not focus on Doyle before the primary will almost certainly insure his re-election.  To me, that outcome is unacceptable.  

With this in mind, I regret to inform you that I am withdrawing from the race for Governor.  

I give my full support and endorsement to my friend Mark Green.  

Mark and I were both sworn in as members of the State Assembly in 1993.  We worked on things like the Limit Excessive State Spending plan, Truth-in-Sentencing, patient privacy and many other important issues.  

His son and our oldest son were born about the same time when we served in the Legislature and Sue Green's parents live just east of where I grew up in Walworth County.  Family is important in both of our lives.

I was honored to serve as a co-chair of the President's re-election campaign with Mark and his campaign manager grew up just down the way from where we live in Wauwatosa.  

Mark just learned of my decision today so he's probably as surprised as many of you.

In the end, I love this state too much to see Jim Doyle elected to another term.  This decision is made with the best interests of the people of Wisconsin in mind.  

I want to thank all of our unbelievably great supporters - particularly the core of volunteers who stream in and out of our office as well as the extraordinary group of people who work on our paid staff.  Thank you!

Most of all, I want to thank my family.  My parents are always there for me and they are a constant source of inspiration - to me and to our supporters.  My father-in-law works harder than anyone I've seen before on a campaign.  Even my 90-year-old grandmother attended a few of our campaign events.  And my brother and his family in Arizona got into the act wearing Walker t-shirts and spreading the word during spring training.  

Our sons Matt and Alex are a big help and a constant source of joy for me.  And Tonette, this campaign reminded me why I fell in love with you the first place.  You are a steady source of strength and I love you.

Early last year, we jumped into the race together after a great deal of prayer.  I believe that it was God's will for me to run.  After a great deal of prayer during the past week, it is clear that it is God's will for me to step out of the race.  Now is the time to support Mark Green.  It is our prayer that all of you who joined our cause will follow my lead and support him too.  

Friends of Scott Walker
Post Office Box 100828
Milwaukee, WI 53210

(414) 298-2006
» E-mail Us «

Authorized and Paid for by Friends of Scott Walker, John Hiller, treasurer.
If any licensed Wisconsin lobbyist receives this document it is not intended to be a solicitation for funds.
Licensed lobbyists are prohibited from contributing under Wisconsin law.
Click here to Unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe via postal mail, please contact us at:
CompleteCampaigns.com Attn: Unsubscribe
610 Gateway Center Way, Suite K San Diego, CA 92102