Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 4:28:26 PM EDT
There's a thread in the General section right now about people getting hassled while openly carrying. I've considered it a few times since it is our only LEGAL choice, but have not yet done it. It's pretty ridiculous to have to throw it in a case when you get to your car.... I'm just wondering if anyone has any Wisconsin specific stories...

-Cygnus
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I did when i was in Az before the CCW anyway, however it was more accepted and common place there. I find it to be a little too agrivating here, case for car, places asking you not too, people p[anicing and calling cops etc etc etc
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]
No one open carries in wis! You will lose your pistol and get a DC ticket!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't look like a kid or a felony-waiting-to-happen many people will assume that you are authorized to carry if your demeanor is correct.

If you have an air-softers nylon drop leg rig with a chrome plated tard-gun and a big grin on your face ... yeah, folks are going to call the cops.
If you have a quality arm in a professional holster, mounted at the hip, your demeanor suggests that the pistol is a permanent fixture on your belt, and you don't look like a societal outcast then the sheep wont be so quick to bleat.

Eventually someone will call in "man with gun" and the cops will likely approach you in a hostile fashion with guns drawn.
It is VERY likely that you will be arrested for disorderly conduct.

The case would be important to CCW no matter which way it went.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

not sure about losing your gun but the disorderly conduct ticket IS used for this. My father works for the wisconsin legislative reference bureau and said the judges support the bullshit ticket.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:11:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Read the part about still trying to get his gun back!
glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=516762
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Read the part about still trying to get his gun back!
glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=516762

Um that happened in Gonzales, La. Not Someplace, Wi. So as much as it sucks, it don't mean jack for what would happen in WI.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Know what that sounds like?

"It's more likely to be used against you"
"You'll shoot your eye out"
"Gunfights will erupt in the streets"

No one has offered anything other than anecdotal evidence that you will get arrested and lose your gun. However, there is a TON of legal research showing why it is perfectly legal. Tell me how a police officer will arrest you in good faith after you show them the state constitution and the CCW prohibition with annotation. It won't happen guys.

Article I, §25
Right to keep and bear arms. Section 25. [As created Nov. 1998] The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose. [1995 J.R. 27, 1997 J.R. 21, vote November 1998]

Article I, §25 - ANNOT.
The state constitutional right to bear arms is fundamental, but it is not absolute. This section does not affect the reasonable regulation of guns. The standard of review for challenges to statutes allegedly in violation of this section is whether the statute is a reasonable exercise of police power. State v. Cole, 2003 WI 112, 264 Wis. 2d 520, 665 N.W.2d 328, 01-0350.

Is carrying a firearm for self-defense or security in public reasonable? Two thirds of the legislature believes so. All but 4 states think so.

Article I, §25 - ANNOT.
The concealed weapons statute is a restriction on the manner in which firearms are possessed and used. It is constitutional under Art. I, s. 25. Only if the public benefit in the exercise of the police power is substantially outweighed by an individual's need to conceal a weapon in the exercise of the right to bear arms will an otherwise valid restriction on that right be unconstitutional.

941.23 ANNOT - The concealed weapons statute is a restriction on the manner in which firearms are possessed and used. It is constitutional under Art. I, s. 25.

Hamdan case oral arguments. The state argues Hamdan should have carried his weapon openly.Hamdan oral arguments

Can you be falsely arrested? Sure, it happens all the time. But if you have the above statutes printed out
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is carrying a firearm for self-defense or security in public reasonable? Two thirds of the legislature believes so. All but 4 states think so.

Soon to be 3 states if the override vote goes thru in Kansas.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soon to be Now it is 3 states if since the override vote goes went thru in Kansas.

FIXED!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soon to be Now it is 3 states if since the override vote goes went thru in Kansas.

FIXED!!!

hip, hip, hoo-fuckin' ray.  We are now one of only 3 states that deny their residents their Constitutional rights.  How long can this shit go on?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIXED!!!

Thanks

Quoted:
hip, hip, hoo-fuckin' ray. We are now one of only 3 states that deny their residents their Constitutional rights. How long can this shit go on?

Things look good for Nebraska and Iowa may go shall issue too.

We live in such a progressive state
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
delete please
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I live way up north, out in the boonies and open carry all the time when I wander out into the forest. Local Sheriff has seen me doing so plenty walking down the road. No problems. But he also signs off on my NFA stuff for me with no hassle. Last time I brought 2 form 1s to him and just waited while one of his people took them into him and he sent them back out signed while the deputy did my fingerprints.
Some people look at me funny...fuck 'em. If they had any idea how many hungry predators are up here they would also.  A couple of times after shooting out there I came over a hill and saw some stupid city fuckers running away. LMAO.  I always practice. Today on my hike I ran thru about 2 mags with my Glock.  I can kick ass with that thing now.

Sometimes I carry an AR or AK. More often a handgun. Just depends on time of year and where I am going. And I always pack enough ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top