Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:17:05 AM EDT
I haven't lived in WI for more than a decade, so the laws may have changed. But, is it legal to hunt on private property year 'round without a license?

In Florida, as in several states, I can go to a private hunting facility and have my choice of turkey, deer, boar and all I need to do is pay the guy for the animal I kill (i.e.: $150.00 for a boar) and that's it. No license, no bullshit, NO ARREST for killing an animal to feed my family.

IIRC, in WI, this sort of thing would never happen. Which is also the reason, as I was told in Hunter's Safety class, why you can't have a loaded firearm in your car - it is called poaching, as in... the only reason a person would have a loaded weapon in their car is so they can poach animals (and what, I guess NOT pay for a license?).

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#1]
If I remember the law correctly, if it's your land...not you cousins/brothers/uncles...you can hunt squirrells, rabbits, racoons, and possum year round without a license.   In Wis you can go to certain game farms and hunt year round but it's a lot more expensive than just buying meat in supermarket.   You can find the exact regs here: http://dnr.wi.gov/  There are a lot of reasons why you can't have a loaded gun in your car and I'm guessing poaching is pretty far down the list.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#4]
From the Legal FAQ at the top of the forum:

www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/regs/index.htm

Page 9 of this manual addresses landowner questions.  It doesn't mention private "game farms" or year-round no-license hunting on private property.  I thought I've seen that advertised, though.

I'm out of my specialty area.  I guess I don't know the answer.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't deer hunting open year round in the CWD eradication zones?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top