Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 6:28:17 AM EDT
Other than true switchblades, anyone know where I got the idea that assisted opening knives were illegal to carry in WI?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Switchblades are illegal?

I was under the impression that assisted opening knives were legal because you see some pretty reputable businesses selling them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what the legality is, but the spring assisted knives seem sort of gimmicky to me.

Switchblades are pretty well obsolete with all the various thumb-opening configurations and pocket-hooks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't know what the legality is, but the spring assisted knives seem sort of gimmicky to me.

Switchblades are pretty well obsolete with all the various thumb-opening configurations and pocket-hooks.

Very True TJ.

I have own a few Kershaw and Ken Oinion Knives with "spring assisted" flippers and such, and they have broke after a using them for a few hundred times.

thumb-opening knives are the way to go. Most people can open a knife with a thumb stud as fast or faster than a auto.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a thumb operated assisted opening SOG Flash 1. It is the fastest opening knife I own. I use it daily and have opened and closed it thousands of times, with no problems. I don't think there are any leagality issues as it is not "self-opening" by use of a button or switch. I am sure Glenn will shed some light on this.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Switchblades are illegal?

Yup.

Possession of a knife that opens by "pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement" is a class A misdemeanor. Statute 941.24.

This definitely includes switchblades and butterfly knives.  There is no exemption for LE, which I had to firmly explain to a co-worker who thought a nice Benchmade switchblade would be great  

I wouldn't personally carry any spring-assisted knife.  I'm not very familiar with them, but the ones I've seen could be interpreted as fitting the definition in statute.  I don't think they do, but an argument could be made.  And who needs that headache?

I think the thumb-openers don't give up anything, and there's no possibility of running into trouble.  Those are what I own.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I once had an automatic knife when I lived in Georgia and was stationed at Ft Benning.  The thing had a pocket clip and it kept opening on its own in my pocket.  I now carry a Gerber EZ out and I promise you, I am as fast or faster with it then I was with the auto.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I once had an automatic knife when I lived in Georgia and was stationed at Ft Benning.  The thing had a pocket clip and it kept opening on its own in my pocket.  I now carry a Gerber EZ out and I promise you, I am as fast or faster with it then I was with the auto.

Sounds like it is time for a knife fight.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knife fighting is fun.  Ever try it?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]
A good auto knife will open faster than any other knife.  Most people have run into those cheap 7 mile fair autos, they are trash.  When you see a real well made auto knife open, you will be amazed.  As far as those spring ones, I passed on one after my friends kinda wore out.  I just use a normal thumb open folder.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have own a few Kershaw and Ken Oinion Knives with "spring assisted" flippers and such, and they have broke after a using them for a few hundred times.

Chris

I've had my Kershaw Onion for about 2 years now, I use it on a daily basis and it works great for me.  I find it easier than my thumb-opener sytle knives.

-Jason
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've had my Kershaw Onion for about 2 years now, I use it on a daily basis and it works great for me.  I find it easier than my thumb-opener sytle knives.
-Jason

I just started carrying a Kershaw Blur as my jean knife. It's one of the more solid knives I've carried despite being spring assisted and the DLC coating on the blade is as hard as woodpecker lips. The only downside is that skateboard type of finish they have on the handle inlay. It's tearing up my pants like nothing and scrapes the hell out of your knuckles if you're not careful. It's also not stealthy like my SA Gerber. The loud "THWACK" on the Kershaw could be a imtimidation factor if nothing else. The Kershaw is still a solid $60 deal at WallyWorld.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knife fighting is fun.  Ever try it?

I the service a friend and I would stick fight often. (broomsticks) We would beat eachother bloody. It was a good time. Knife fights are a little more tricky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top