Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:28:07 PM EDT
Can a person use an AR pistol for deer hunting in a shotgun only zone? I think that would be cool to show up at deer camp with one and hear all the "what the _______?????"

Thanx,Stang
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My best guess would be yes if it is a shotgun & Handgun zone.
I'm sure Photoman will read this post and he is up on DNR Regulations
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My best guess would be test if it is a shotgun & Handgun zone.
I'm sure Photoman will read this post and he is up on DNR Regulations

Hand guns are pemited in shotgun only zones as far as I know. The only thing is that to get good preformance from it it would probably a need 16in barrel in .223 or 5.56, which well kinda kills it to me.

Now maybe an ar pistol in say 6.8 or 6.5 or even 7.62x39 with the right bullet would work if you wanted a shorter barrel in say the 10in-12in range.

The other thing is if yer like me with AR pistols it could get you into trouble if a warden saw it. I have a tendency to want to put the buffer tube up on my shoulder when I shoot an AR pistol i6t doesn't bug me to do it and thats the way I shoot an AR normaly. If a warden saw ya doing that, it would be have fun spending the money in court because even though it's a pistol I'm sure they could make a great case about it being "used" like a rifle in a shot gun only county.

If you can keep it off yer shoulder I don't see any potential problems using one, but I wouldn't do it with one in .223/5.56mm at least not with a barrel shorter then 14.5 and then ranges would have to be kept at 100 yards or under, preferably under depending on the bullet used.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you can keep it off yer shoulder I don't see any potential problems using one, but I wouldn't do it with one in .223/5.56mm at least not with a barrel shorter then 14.5 and then ranges would have to be kept at 100 yards or under, preferably under depending on the bullet used.

Nothing in the regs (ATF or DNR) on maximum barrel length, AFAIK.  Throw your 16 or 20" rifle upper on the pistol lower and have at it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing in the regs (ATF or DNR) on maximum barrel length, AFAIK.  Throw your 16 or 20" rifle upper on the pistol lower and have at it.

Never thought of that. Can this be true? Would it still be considered a "pistol"? The reason I want to use an AR pistol is because I thought it could reach out farther than my 12Ga. Sounds like it won't. But a 20 inch, HMMMMMM!!!

Stang
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, I would choose a black powder  gun in the pistol/shotgun zones as I believe the  rifling would make the difference for accuracy. That being said,  the AR would be the gun of choice... BUT... not in 223. Hafta be in 762x39 or 6.8 OR..... Beowulf.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#6]
From the 2005 Wisconsin Deer Hunting Regulations Hand Book

Handguns:

• To be legal for deer, handguns must use centerfire cartridges of .22 caliber or
larger and have a 5 1/2 inch minimum barrel, measured from the firing pin to the
muzzle with the action closed.

You must be 18 years old to hunt with or possess a handgun.
Note: Target shooting with handguns by persons under the age of 18 years is
allowed only when supervised by an adult.

• You may not possess a concealed handgun.

• Muzzleloading handguns, see “Muzzleloaders.”

Link found at http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/regs/index.htm
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never thought of that. Can this be true? Would it still be considered a "pistol"? The reason I want to use an AR pistol is because I thought it could reach out farther than my 12Ga. Sounds like it won't. But a 20 inch, HMMMMMM!!!

Stang

You can put any legth barrel on it you want to. But then it kind of defeats the purpose of hunting with a pistol if you have a rifle/carbine length barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top