Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 11:01:00 AM EDT
Ok i have been going through a few range lists calling and even though they are listed as public ranges they are actually public clubs.

So I am in need of a truly public range that is open on a ragular basis :not this one weekend in march one weekend in april garbage: something with at least 100 yards so i can do some pistol and centerfire rifle shooting.

I do know of eagle but im in west bend and thats an 1.5 hour drive for me, anyone know of anything closer. I wouldnt mind that drive if a bunch of us were going to go for a day shooting the ARs but on a reg basis thats a haul just to shoot off a few boxes
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
For 12$ an hour Midwest Shooters Supply has an indoor range (pistol ammo only), located in Lomira.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm from west bend and haven't heard of any free public ranges if thats what your talking about... but theres a club in west bend haven't been there cause its mostly shotgunners from what i heard...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Well im not expecting a free range, no problem with daily or yearly shooting fees. However $12 an hour is nuts and limiting to rimfire and handgun is ho help. Yes I stopped by the barton gun club again today, sponsorship is needed and might be hard to get without joining the clays tourneys. Couple of the members said to stop back tomorrow during the airgun match.

Guess I am still used to AZ there were 6 ranges within 30 min drive indoor and outdoor.  averaging $8 daily to $40 yearly to come and shoot. I am fine shooting paper targets on a sat shooting a few hundred rounds to keep my skills up.

Ah well will see how the west bend/barton shooting club works out otherwise ill be in eagle this weekend. Maybe alot of shotgunners but hey its close and maybe they need a few tactical shooters :)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Jesse how long is your drive to the club?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the west bend club offer tactical shooting?  I know a lot of the ass clowns at these ranges are hunters and old guys who think that shooting anything faster than 1 round every 5 minutes is terrible and lord help you if you want to wear a holster.  I'm thinking that the only place that likes our kind is in Racine...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I do not know for sure, I get the impression NO, the sigh states military shooting but I do believer its mostly clays shooters. However first goal is legal place to shoot 5 mins away, If tactical shooters are uncommon that just leaves more room on the rifle range for me :)

But heck if there are enough shooters in the area we can always enlighten them :) One of the guys today was saying that range membership is less if willing to put in some sweat hours. We all have more time then money these days maybe we can build our own tactical course :)

anyway like i said will go down tomorrow during the "airgun" shoot and see what the real deal is
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 I'm thinking that the only place that likes our kind is in Racine...

It's kind of a tough thing to say really. long and short of it, what we are allowed to do by the BoD comes from us busting our asses and from having a few board members that were willing to back up some of the stuff we wanted to do.  Basicly we showed that hey we belong here and were a good thing for our club and the club has responded by being open to letting us do our thing(within club rules of course).

I need to crash out for the night. If either of you have any questions or anything send me an IM and I'll answer what i can for ya.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:27:13 AM EDT
[#8]
The only "public" ranges I know of are the Langlade County Range, and Yellowstone.  In SE WI, there are a couple public access ranges, with fees, both open on the weekends.  Kenosha County Conservation Club in Bristol, and WI Sportsmans Assoc. in Union Grove.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Probably way to far for ya , but in Shiocton across from the airfield, is a range , 100 & 300 rifle, handgun , archery and I think shotgun , (never went looking for that one). There is a metal box you are supposed to put $3 in . I usually throw in 5 because i shoot for hours and am used to $8 an hour. Really nice place open sunup to sundown 7 days a week. Good for the Green Bay guy's , bad for the Milwaukee crew.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#10]
How many of the AR15.com guys regularly shoot at the Shiocton range?  I think it would be a good idea for a bunch of us to meet and shoot up there sometime.

(Sorry for the hijack)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes I stopped by the barton gun club again today, sponsorship is needed and might be hard to get without joining the clays tourneys. Couple of the members said to stop back tomorrow during the airgun match.
what kind of airgunning do they do there? do have any info on the club?

Ah well will see how the west bend/barton shooting club works out otherwise ill be in eagle this weekend. Maybe alot of shotgunners but hey its close and maybe they need a few tactical shooters :)

I would call before you go, make sure they didn't close for XC skiiers
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
The Columbus sportsmans club is a decently friendly range. I've seen more tactical rifles there than I have hunting rifles in the past 6 or so months of membership there,  just as an FYI.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#13]

what kind of airgunning do they do there? do have any info on the club?

Not sure I must have gotten over there after it was done as there was no one there. I know it was some kind of match leauge but not sure on details sorry
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Douglas county Fsh and Game League rifle range just outside of Superior, FREE ! open monday wednesday and Saturday. before deer season open every day. 25, 50, 100, 200 and 300 yard ranges. Targets provided . Covered shooting benches. There is a warm-up and B.S.ing building and an outhouse.
Josh
StormWerkz
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Man, I feel sorry for you people down south. I,m from GB and we have 3 or 4 "public" ranges within a half Hr. I usually go to the Machikanee[SP?] range in Abrahms.  Like spray said, all you can shoot for $3.  No range dude there telling you what you can and can't do either! The only bad thing is it's only 100YDS.  I gotta try that Shiocton one, sounds nice.  Are we still on for the end of this month?  Take the drive fellas and come up and play with us!  Oh Yeh, cheeseheads only, no FIB's

Stang
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup still on and gaining. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=21&t=224611&page=3

Should be a good day, should be a good group if everyone can make it
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok so where exactly is the range in racine. I have had it with west bend barton sportmans club. Yet again i go down there trying to become a member. What am i told? pfft that i need to come down for one of theit skeet or rimfire pistol leagues. Either of which they charge non-members $40 for

Bull**** I am not paying $40 to meet some old fogies so i can go down on a weekend and shoot at some paper. If my $80 membership fee isnt enough screw them. This has been too much agrivation so time to find a real range with REAL shooters

sorry for the rant but im still a little irked by this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top