Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 2:10:45 PM EDT
I can very litteraly throw a rock and hit this house from my backyard. Scary shit considering where my dad works. The house is dirwectly accross the street from Fratt school so much for the gun free schools zones law working.....

02/03: AT GUNPOINT, WIFE TELLS PEOPLE SHE HAS THE FLU AND HUSBAND IS TAKEN TO THE BANK WHERE HE WORKS
Category: General Posted by: Editors
After a home invasion, a Bank of Elmwood employee is forced to assist with a robbery.

Updated at 5 p.m. --

BY MICHAEL BURKE
Journal Times

RACINE — Two masked thieves broke into a West Racine home Thursday, bound the occupants, held them hostage and later forced one to aid them in a bank theft.

The victims were not hurt, although they were bound with duct tape and threatened at gunpoint during their lengthy ordeal.
As of Friday the robbers were still at large.

The case began some time before noon Thursday when the two men broke in through the back door of a home. Coincidentally, the home is only about five blocks from where on Jan. 18 Adrial White allegedly shot two men, one fatally, as they reportedly were breaking into cars.

In this case the thieves knew who they were looking for; one of the victims, Michael Cranley, works for the Bank of Elmwood. He was eventually forced to open the doors and admit the thieves to the Bank of Elmwood motor bank at 4101 Durand Ave.

Cranley’s father, Dennis Cranley, said Michael’s wife, Jessica, came home for lunch about noon Thursday and was immediately taken hostage by two men, one of whom was dressed in women’s clothing. She was held hostage until Michael came home around 5 p.m.

During her ordeal, there were several occasions in which the crime in progress might have been accidentally discovered by other family members, the elder Cranley said.

For example, “My wife called in the afternoon,” he said, to invite Michael’s family over for supper that night.
“Jessica said she had the flu. She had a gun at her head at the time.”

The couple’s son was the next to arrive on the scene when he came home from school during the afternoon. Cranley said Jessica told her son not to come into the house — but instead to go to his grandmother’s house because she had the flu.
“About 2 p.m., I went over there with my brother Tom,” Cranley said. Tom was supposed to work on Michael and Jessica’s computer.

Dennis, a retiree from Case Co., had keys to his son’s house — but for some reason, they did not work.

“I decided to leave, but then I noticed (Jessica’s) car sitting in front of the house.

“Thank God I didn’t have the right key,” he continued. “I pounded on the door, and I looked through the windows, but I didn’t see anything.” He left.

Michael got home about 5:30 p.m. and was taken hostage and also bound with duct tape. His mother called the house to invite them to supper, and Jessica answered, again giving her flu excuse.

“My wife asked her, ‘Why didn’t Michael answer the phone if you don’t feel good?’” Dennis said. Jessica gave the excuse that her husband was in the bathroom.

The couple was held hostage until about 3 a.m., police said. At that point, one of the home invaders went to the motor bank with Michael, in Michael’s vehicle, which was later found abandoned. The robber got an undetermined amount of cash and fled, leaving Michael at the bank.

Meanwhile, the other invader continued to hold Jessica hostage at the home for about 10 more minutes. Then he left — presumably to meet his partner — leaving her still bound.
Jessica was able to free herself, but the invaders reportedly had cut the phone line.

She went to Dennis’s house but was unable to wake anyone. Finally, she tried another neighbor and awoke the family. They called police at 3:52 a.m. — nearly 16 hours after her ordeal had begun.

Dennis Cranley said the invaders threatened violence if the young couple didn’t cooperate, but never harmed them. “The fact of the matter was, they were very professional,” he said.
Racine Police Sgt. Steve Madsen said detectives are considering the possibility that the two invaders were among the four thieves who recently committed a similar crime at DeRose Bar. In that case, four masked, gloves men broke in and forced the owner, Edie DeRose, to let them into the bar, where they stole money from the cash register. No arrests have been made in that case.

Tom Rudey, Bank of Elmwood senior vice president of human resources and security officer, said the bank does “extensive” training on robbery prevention and response — including events that begin off bank premises.

He declined to say how much money the robbers got; nor did police report the amount.

The robbers wore masks and gloves; as of Friday afternoon police only had the vaguest of descriptions and no suspects. Anyone with information about the crime is asked to call the Racine Police Department Detective Bureau at (262) 635-7756 or Crimestoppers of Racine County at (888) 636-9330.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats why my G-19 is always at the ready!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thats why my G-19 is always at the ready!

Thats why I ALWAYS have a pistol on me around the house and yard.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy's wife was robbed at gunpoint on sunday at 7pm at us bank ATM machine.She's out $200 but still is alive.I would't send a woman to a ATM at night.This happened at 100st and capitol dr.This neighborhood really went downhill fast!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't remember what the intersection of 100 and Capitol looks like.
We went to the Walmart on Capitol drive ONCE.
I wouldn't send my wife there at any time of day.

If someone tried to break in while I was home ... I'm in good shape.
If someone was waiting inside, and had me at gunpoint as soon as I entered .....
Not a lot I could do.

PM, Racine is getting to be a real fun place.

The good folks there have to either take out the trash or leave.
Usually folks choose to leave and cede ground to the human refuse.
It's too bad.

In other news, I support vigillantism from the jury box.
Just wanted to put that out there for everyone's personal reference.
Nothing is illegal if the jurors don't want it to be.
THAT'S WHY there is a jury.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can very litteraly throw a rock and hit this house from my backyard. Scary shit considering where my dad works. The house is dirwectly accross the street

The robbers wore masks and gloves; as of Friday afternoon police only had the vaguest of descriptions and no suspects. Anyone with information about the crime is asked to call the Racine Police Department Detective Bureau at (262) 635-7756 or Crimestoppers of Racine County at (888) 636-9330.

Got your M6 on the PISTOL?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#6]
But we have no need for CCW here in this fine state!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can very litteraly throw a rock and hit this house from my backyard. Scary shit considering where my dad works. The house is dirwectly accross the street

Got your M6 on the PISTOL?

Nope It's on the SBR, which is my house gun. No rail on the pistol anyway(thats why I'm looking at the glock19) Thats what the G2Z is for. Besides that I do more low light practice with the SBR as is.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Democratic politicians and most police chiefs believe that the general public is  somehow not as qualified, or smart enough, to be given the right to carry a weapon. They must know all there is to know on this subject. They could never be wrong. They say you don’t need a gun, the police will be there at all times to take care of you. If you don’t agree with this please make your voice heard at the next election. We have the right to choose to not be a victim. VOTE REPUBLICAN!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]
After all of the things I hear about crime in oyur area. Have you ever thought of moving out the the high crime area? Just wondering.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top