Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 2:35:52 AM EDT
Do you think that the NRA would cancel its convention here if the override fails on tuesday?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Do you think that the NRA would cancel its convention here if the override fails on tuesday?

No.. Why would they? I don't think they care as much about CCW as they would like you to think...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they cancelled a convention in ohio when they banned assault rifles.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

National RIFLE assn. They do very little for CCW, as it is not an issue for the skeet shooting double gunners and the fire a shot and walk to your target crowd.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure the NRA is doing what it can for us.  It's really up to the PEOPLE of WI to DEMAND that their legislators "ALLOW" them their God-given RIGHT to self-defense.  If it fails this time, and it might due to partisan politics, then we need to change the balance in the Assembly to get the numbers on our side.  I will be pleasantly surprised if the over-ride is successful.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

National RIFLE assn. They do very little for CCW....

you're wrong
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

National RIFLE assn. They do very little for CCW, as it is not an issue for the skeet shooting double gunners and the fire a shot and walk to your target crowd.

Not true the NRA rep here in Wisconsin has worked his ass off to help get CCW in Wisconsin. The NRA has also filed amicus briefs in the hmdan case and the fisher case. The NRA has done a lot to help us get CCW.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Swing and a miss.

Come on into Madison for the Assembly vote tomorow. I'll introduce you to the NRA rep and you can tell him that the thousands of hours he's invested in this over the past few years consitiutes 'very little'. His first name is Darrel, but for the life of me I can't remember his last nanme at the moment.  He's a nice guy. He'll probably just smile and tell you that he's sorry you feel that way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I was starting to feel pessimistic about things last week, but Krueser's pleading for a republican to vote against the override, Doyle's veto on a Friday evening without press coverage, the current scandels in the Doyle administration and the Milwaukee mayor's statement are all causing me to be hopelul about tomorrow.

www.jsonline.com/news/metro/jan06/388528.asp

Gun bill likely to be law, lawmakers say

Barrett, others expect override of Doyle veto

By MEGAN TWOHEY
[email protected]

Posted: Jan. 29, 2006
West Allis - Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett and two Democratic state lawmakers came together Sunday to put up a last-minute fight against a bill that would legalize the carrying of concealed weapons in Wisconsin. But they acknowledged that even with their protests, the legislation would likely become law.
"The possibility is very, very strong that by the end of this week, people will be able to carry concealed guns in Wisconsin," said Barrett, who spoke outside State Fair Park with Reps. Jon Richards of Milwaukee and Tony Staskunas of West Allis.
On Thursday, the Republican-controlled state Senate voted to override a veto of the bill by Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle. On Tuesday, the Assembly will decide whether to do the same.
The Assembly passed the bill in December by a vote of 63-32 - short of the two-thirds majority needed for an override. But a Republican was missing, and a seat that was open at the time has since been filled by a GOP supporter of the bill.
While Democratic leaders have said they are confident that two of six Democrats who supported the legislation would change their votes, Barrett and Richards did not sound optimistic.
"We're here today to talk about a bill that is about to become law," said Richards. The mayor and lawmakers were joined by Don Smiley, president and CEO of Milwaukee World Festivals Inc., who said he opposed the bill.
Under the bill, people 21 and older would be allowed to carry concealed weapons after passing a course, provided they had not been convicted of felonies or certain misdemeanors, such as for domestic violence. Among the places people would be able to carry firearms are the grounds of State Fair Park and Summerfest.
Instead of opening up the way for people to carry concealed weapons, Barrett said, the Legislature should be working to rid Wisconsin of illegal guns.
"We do not need more guns in Milwaukee," he said. "This bill will likely increase the number of people getting killed."
State Sen. Dave Zien (R-Eau Claire), an author of the bill, dismissed Sunday's criticism of the bill, insisting that all Wisconsin residents would be safer if they were able to carry concealed weapons.
"There is an angelic factor," he said. "The criminals will be less likely to commit a crime because they will suspect that the person who they're targeting might have a weapon."
Zien said he expected the Assembly to override Doyle's veto this week.
"It will be great seeing them eat crow when this law is passed," he said of the bill's critics.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell Tommy I'm starting to think that this might just fly this time....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It just might. We're stronger than ever, and Doyle's weaker than ever. It's pretty clear that the other side is scared we're going to win.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It just might. We're stronger than ever, and Doyle's weaker than ever. It's pretty clear that the other side is scared we're going to win.

I'll be listening in all day tomarrow as much as it pains me to hear our legislators acting like children....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can, post some updates here.

I can't listen because of my company's damn firewall.

I should just take the damn day off and drive over there.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Tommy , I am sure Daniel has really put his heart and soul into it , And I am not discounting that, I really do appreciate his effort But he is not the NRA, he is a guy from the NRA, Also maybe I am wrong and things are differant out here , back east whare I  come from CCW is not that big a deal for the NRA. I would be AMAZED if they cancel a convention due to CCW not passing , Hopefully we will never find out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Tommy , I am sure Daniel has really put his heart and soul into it , And I am not discounting that, I really do appreciate his effort But he is not the NRA, he is a guy from the NRA, Also maybe I am wrong and things are differant out here , back east whare I  come from CCW is not that big a deal for the NRA. I would be AMAZED if they cancel a convention due to CCW not passing , Hopefully we will never find out.

Oh I don't think for a second that they'd cancel the convention. I hope not, I'm considering trying to put together a room party. I just see the NRA as really putting in a lot of effort towards the PPA.

Plan on coming to the room party. we can compare notes then.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Any idea if your armed brothers in MN will be able to carry in WI if the veto is beaten?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Any idea if your armed brothers in MN will be able to carry in WI if the veto is beaten?

They should be able to.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't poured over the text of the bill this time, but I remember reciprocity being built in to the law last time.

As I recall, if/when it becomes law, the out of state permit holders INSTANTLY become legal to carry in WI even while the WI subjects wait for thier permission requisition forms to be distributed and processed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I haven't poured over the text of the bill this time, but I remember reciprocity being built in to the law last time.

As I recall, if/when it becomes law, the out of state permit holders INSTANTLY become legal to carry in WI even while the WI subjects wait for thier permission requisition forms to be distributed and processed.

What about a WI resident with a FL permit ?

I think if you're a WI resident you have to have a WI permit.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about a WI resident with a FL permit ?

I think if you're a WI resident you have to have a WI permit.

Correct. A WI resident won't be able to carry on an out of state permit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#22]
<========  Patiently waiting for the vote. With fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Failed by 2 votes............Sorry to hear that y'all...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#24]
One more reason why I hate this f**king state.

Jimmy Zero's  just killing this state.
Did he get a tan when he was in Iraq on our dime?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Right down the party lines again...  enough to make me sick!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]
too bad we get to find out the answer to this question now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top