Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 5:22:19 AM EDT
Remeber folks you can not use deadly force to protect private property in Wisconsin, unless it's to stop arson of an occupied building.

Suspect in fatal shooting `a real decent guy' -- Racine man accused of shooting two, one fatally, due in court today
By Michael Burke

RACINE - A 29-year-old night stocker at Wal-Mart and father of three is being held in the Racine County Jail for the shootings, one fatal, of two young man early Wednesday.

Police arrested Adrial C. White of Racine Wednesday after he allegedly shot at three men, killing one and wounding another, at about 4:45 a.m. Wednesday. Christopher `Eric' Carbajal, 19, of Racine, was shot in the back and died from the wound.

A companion of his was shot in the face, allegedly by White, whose address was not immediately clear. A bullet was surgically removed from his jaw.

At the time, the two young men allegedly were breaking into automobiles in the alley between the 1500 blocks of Arthur and Blaine avenues.

White's family - including his ex-wife - portrayed him as a hard-working father who saw his children daily even though they did not live with him.

"My son was a real decent guy," said his father, Henry White, who lives several blocks from where the shootings happened. Adrial White went to a Racine parochial school and then Horlick High School. Henry wasn't sure if Adrial graduated.

"He was a worker," the elder White said.

Of the shootings, he said: "It was shock to me like it was to everyone else."

Adrial White is divorced from Stephanie Woodington. Although he was living with another woman in the neighborhood where the shootings occurred, Woodington said she and White "were working things out."

Twice in early 2002 Woodington went to court to get temporary restraining orders against White, according to state court records. Those records listed the actions as domestic abuse TROs.

However, on Thursday Woodington described White as a steady worker who spent as much time with their three children as possible. Woodington said White would work a 12-hour night shift at Wal-Mart, arrive at her house at about 7:20 a.m. and take their oldest child to school.

He would go home, get a few hours of sleep and then come back at 11:40 a.m. to take the younger child to half-day kindergarten, she said. He would return to her house to spend time with the baby, then pick up their children from school and drop them off at home. Then he would leave, get some more sleep and go to work.

Woodington and White's sister, Edwina White, said Adrial had worked at Wal-Mart for about the past four years. They said he had many jobs in recent years. One included working in The Journal Times' packaging center from late 1995 to January 1999.

"He was a hard-working man," his sister said. "I have two kids who adore him.

"He was not the type to go into a rage. He's not a crazy person."

Adrial White's court record includes traffic infractions such as driving after license revocation, a violent disorderly conduct in 2002 and a battery and disorderly conduct in 1995.

Court records did not include any arrests for drug or weapons-related charges.

I live on the 900 block of Blaine ave. The strech between my block and 16th street which is a block south of where the shootings took place has had a steady rise in car beakins and vandalism over the last two years. People are gettign sick of this shit. I don't feel bad about the kid getting killed, he was doing stupid shit and thats always a posibility when you commit criminal acts. I am however very pissed that this guy shot them because it just was not from the get go a good shoot. I fully understand wanting to protect you property, but lethal force is not something you can use legaly to do that in this state.

What gets me most however is that I know anti-PPA people are going to point to this and say see this is whats going to happen if we let this bill go through. Since this is being considered a homicide that makes number two in Racine this year.

So everyone take this as a lesson, take the time to learn and understand when you can and can not use deadly force in this state. It could keep yer ass out of jail and away from a homicide charge. Learn from this guiys mistake yall it's easier then learning from making it yerself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If this is brought up against the PPA then we use it as a reason for the PPA, to train people on when you can use a weapon as lethal force.

I agree, this case is not a legal shoot. No fear of great bodily harm or death, just property damage.

I’m no longer surprised, at training classes, how many people think deadly force can be used any time they wanthock.gif I have even had some think they can draw on someone for walking across their lawnhis
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw on the news a milwaukee LEO saying PPA won't make you any safer! He's full of crap!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saw on the news a milwaukee LEO saying PPA won't make you any safer! He's full of crap!

If yer a criminal it sure won't. let them talk we know the truth.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Couple more stories aobut this.

link

3 murder charges for Racine man in connection with car break-in

By David Steinkraus
RACINE - His attorney argued for leniency, citing a strong family background and work record, but bail for Adrial C. White was set at $250,000 cash on Friday afternoon when he made his first appearance in Racine County Circuit Court.

White was charged with one count of first-degree intentional homicide while armed for the death of 19-year-old Christopher "Eric" Carbajal, who was shot during an automobile break-in early Wednesday morning. That carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment plus five years.

He was also charged with two counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide while armed for wounding 18-year-old Enrico Serra Jr. and for shooting at 18-year-old Phillip Jardina. Each count carries a maximum penalty of 65 years' imprisonment.

People packed the small hearing room in the county's Law Enforcement Center for White's initial appearance. White was in the jail above the hearing room and appeared on camera with his attorney, Robert D'Arruda, of

Milwaukee.

Assistant District Attorney Zoe Stowers argued for the high cash bond, saying: "We have one individual dead who was shot in the back." Two other people were shot at and one was wounded, she said, and homicide is the most severe offense in the state.

D'Arruda asked for a bond of $20,000 or less. White was born and raised in the city and has strong family support, has four children, one a newborn, and has a solid work history, D'Arruda said. He has a minor criminal record, is taking classes to become an auto mechanic and finish his high school diploma, and has held his present job at Wal-Mart for three years.

"And that job is still there for him," he said. "They're holding it for him pending the outcome of this hearing."

Without comment, Court Commissioner Alice Rudebusch acceded to Stowers' bond request and set White's preliminary hearing for 9 a.m. Wednesday. At that hearing, the state will have to convince Judge Gerald Ptacek that there is enough evidence to hold White for trial.

Outside the court, D'Arruda said he was still getting up to speed on the case. The criminal complaint was given to him and Rudebusch as the hearing began.

"Right now I know very little. I was retained 2 hours ago," he said. "But what I know so far is obviously the state believes he committed this crime, which he is adamant that he's innocent. He gave no statement to the police other than a denial, that he did not do this. So I fully expect there will be a trial."

Some people who attended the hearing either wouldn't talk or would say only that they were related to the young men who were shot at. White's supporters were vocal in their insistence that he is not guilty of anything except protecting his property.

After the hearing they stood beside Wisconsin Avenue and waved signs saying "Free Adrial White" and "Not Guilty" at passing cars. And they said they're in the process of setting up a fund to pay for his legal defense.

"He's a wonderful father, and he should not have to go through this," said Stephanie Woodington, mother of three of White's four children: three daughters ages 8, 5, and almost 9 months. "He pays support. He's never late on it. And it's not even a money issue; it's that he's there physically, emotionally, everything."

White drove in the Fourth of July parade regularly as part of the Positive Force Custom Cruisers, a local club that builds fancy show cars, said Jeremy Klimowicz, the club's president.

"We've done a lot of stuff for the community as far as donations and charities and stuff," he said. "He played a big part in building these cars."

"That person that did die, they're treating him like he's a savior. He was the one in the criminal act," said Mary Gister, White's godmother. Her car, too, has been broken into at her north-side home, she said.

"The last report on that, I told the police, I said, `Well, I hope I don't catch them in my car.' A lot of us in the city feel that," Gister said.

"OK, they say it was intent," she said. "We're saying: When is it enough? When is it enough for us to stand up and say we're not doing the criminal act?"

link

Three involved in incident have criminal records

By Journal Times staff
A search of the state court system's web site shows that some of the people involved in the Wednesday morning shooting on Arthur Avenue have had criminal charges filed against them in the past or have cases pending.

The court site showed no adult criminal records for Christopher Carbajal, 19, who died as a result of the shooting, or for Phillip Jardina, 18, who was one of the young men with him.

Richard Carbajal, 19, was charged in 2005 with possessing burglary tools and resisting an officer. He was convicted of the resisting charge and fined. Also in 2005, he was charged with misdemeanor property theft. That case is pending.

Enrico Serra Jr., 18, was charged in 2004 with two counts of theft, obstructing an officer, and carrying a concealed weapon - all misdemeanors. He was subsequently convicted on one count of theft and the obstructing charge and place on probation for a year. The other two charges were dismissed but read into the court record. In November 2005, Serra was charged with misdemeanor theft. That case is still pending.

Adrial C. White, 29, who is accused of murder in Carbajal's death, has a record with some traffic charges, some domestic problems and two misdemeanors. In 1995, he was charged with battery and disorderly conduct, both misdemeanors. He was convicted of disorderly conduct and fined. In 2002 he was also charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct. He was convicted and fined.

link

Court records: What happened in the alley

By Journal Times staff
Based on the criminal complaint filed in Racine County Circuit Court on Friday, here is the sequence of events which led to the death of Christopher "Eric" Carbajal, 19, early Wednesday morning.

From the evening of Tuesday and into Wednesday morning, Phillip Jardina, 18, was driving around in his mother's Plymouth van with Carbajal, Enrico Serra Jr., 18, and Richard Carbajal, 19.

Serra and Christopher Carbajal told him where to drive, and around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday they told him to park in the 1400 block of Arthur Avenue. Christopher Carbajal and Serra got out of the van and walked into the alley between Arthur and Blaine Avenues.

When they had been gone for more than 2 minutes, Jardina became worried and went to look for them. He found them at a white Saturn, with the doors and trunk open. Christopher Carbajal was in the back seat and Serra was in the front.

A house door opened, and a black man came out wearing only shorts or long boxers and demanding to know what the young men were doing.

Jardina turned and ran, and heard gunshots behind him. Police later found a hole where a bullet had apparently passed through all three shirts he was wearing but without breaking his skin.

He reached the van and started to drive, picking up Serra, who was bleeding from the face and mouth. An X-ray later showed a bullet lodged in his lower left jaw.

Jardina saw Christopher Carbajal lying in the alley, and Richard dragged him in. At first the men drove to St. Luke's Hospital, and when they realized its emergency room had closed, they drove to St. Mary's Medical Center. Christopher Carbajal died there as the result of a gunshot wound in the back.

A police officer called to the scene on a report of gunshots found Adrial White, shirtless, standing at the Saturn with two women. All three said they had not heard any shots.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys I heard some info that the RPD pulled some bullets from a house near the "shooters" house, I am going to try and confirm it. This could have actually been a SD shooting. No weapons were found on the deceased, or the other three that were with, however they had a long trip from one hospital to another in which to ditch the weapons......

BTW two of the three "survivors" have skipped town. I wonder why....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you mean by SD shooting?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
SD= Self Defense
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top