Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:39:59 PM EDT
Why do some people get hardons about having to have an adjustable stock? I could see if you have somewhat short arms or you let your kid shoot it. But just so it looks like a "tactical rifle"?

Pretty much brought up since some moron in another forums said I "need" to get a collapsable stock for my Bushy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably the same bonehead who said I need to get rid of my A1 upper, and go with a flat top, "to end the misery".

What a fuckstick. Tell him to pound sand.

Rob:
are you going to the FNS in Feb.?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Would like to. Depends on work. Really wanna see if my D70 can photograph a bullet mid-flight at 1/8000 shutter speed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not trying to stand up for anybody but I have short arms and went doing tactical drills, I prefer the shorter stock, espically when using a 3 point sling.  The weapon just fits me better.  When the weapon fits better, the user normally shoots better..sometimes.

For just plinking/general shooting at the range, I agree, it's not needed.  They do look cool though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about needing them, but I like options and thats what an adjustable stock gives.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why do some people get hardons about having to have an adjustable stock?

I don't have an adjustable stock, but my wife's rifle came with a non functioning ban-era stock that I *had* to activate. The mimicry of function bothered me for some reason.

Most folks are just reveling in everything that was banned merely because they can. Kind of like flipping Sarah Brady the bird to entertain yourself. I have trouble understanding why the stocks were a no-no in the first place.

Detachable hicaps + practice = firepower. They're afraid of firepower. I don't agree, but I can atleast understand the argument. It's coherent. There is a clear connection between perceived problem and perceived solution. The stock thing was particularly silly on guns that met legal length requirements when collapsed.
Full size stock = A-okay.
Entry stock = A-okay.
Ability to freely transition form one to the other = Federal felony.

WTF was that all about?

I can only guess that unveiling a weapon and yanking the stock open is an aggressive motion in the movies; kinda like racking a shotgun is dramatically aggressive. The mere thought of this apparently caused the legislation's sponsors to quake in thier panties. I view the AWB as a governmental decree to stop riling the sheep.

Meanwhile, ... back on topic, ... Wisconsin has easily 100* F of temperature swing between winter and summer, so clothing can change your Length Of Pull. A bunch of us use a non-standard shooting stance that appreciates a shorter stock. My wife likes fussing with her stock from one click to the next, and then back again. Anything that draws her into feeling connected with the rifle is a plus in my book. So, THERE ARE some legitimate reasons for wanting one.

Quoted:
Probably the same bonehead who said I need to get rid of my A1 upper, and go with a flat top, "to end the misery".

Don'tcha love it when airsofters give out gun advice?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one on my M4gery cause my arms are shorter and use it 2 clicks from fully extended.

What I don't get is people putting them on the "bench" guns.I swapped a lower with a 6 pos.  on to my 16inch bull ,put it up to my shoulder and immediatly swapped it back.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I can see a need for an adjustable stock, although my ARs don't have them.  I personally like to shoot year round, and the stock that fits in the summer when I am shooting in a t shirt doesn't fit so well when I am shooting in 4 layers of clothes.  Same deal if you went from shooting without body armor to shooting with body armor.  So in my opinion they do serve a purpose.  The only reason I didn't like my collapsible stock is that it pulls the hair on my face!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:49:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Meanwhile, ... back on topic, ... Wisconsin has easily 100* F of temperature swing between winter and summer, so clothing can change your Length Of Pull. A bunch of us use a non-standard shooting stance that appreciates a shorter stock. My wife likes fussing with her stock from one click to the next, and then back again. Anything that draws her into feeling connected with the rifle is a plus in my book. So, THERE ARE some legitimate reasons for wanting one.

Exactly.

ETA:  If a fixed stock works for you, then use it.  Always use what works for you.  Just keep an open mind that there may be something better for you out there.  And what works for others may not be best for you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
They can also be used to fit a rifle into a smaller case than would be required with a full size fixed stock.  Only a few inches, I know, but it is smaller.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I wasn't implying that folding stocks are bad. Hell, I have a Carbine with an M93B on it.
The issue I had was that some dude was trying to tell me that because my rifle was simple, it was no good. The rifle in question has a fixed stock, a simple and rugged sight system, and has over 1000 rounds down the tube without a hiccup. My goal for this rifle was for it to be light weight, easily maintained, accurate, and ultra reliable. I could have shaved some weight by putting a collapsible stock on it, but I prefer the length of the A1 rigid stock. If a guy wants all kinds of stuff on his weapon to suit his needs, thats fine.  I don't get on people who have 10 lbs of stuff bolted onto a 7 lb rifle.

Rant off.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I've shot in everything from a T-shirt to a winter parka and LBV. I kind of like being able to adjust the LOP on my carbine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I am 6'2" with looong arms.  I shoot my carbine only two clicks out in the summer, and it puts my nose on the charging handle where it belongs.  A standard fixed stock is waaaaay too long.

A Sully stock is about right.  I use the telestock just because they are a dime a dozen and can be adjusted to where I need it instead of trapped with the gun waaaaaaay out there.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top