Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 8:38:28 AM EDT
If you ever have a gun stolen in Milwaukee... FOLLOW UP!

MPD recovered my 1911 (from my car theft) and DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT WAS STOLEN).....

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow!!!!!

Did you find out how they recovered it?  Was it used in a crime or did they take it off some hoodlum?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I see your a Golf now, how was the OCS experience?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I see your a Golf now, how was the OCS experience?

'Unique'

In the end it was determined that some enlisted time would be beneficial before I continue to persue a comission...

So I head to Eustis for AIT (15G - Aircraft Structural Repairer) on the 21st...

Home on leave in the meantime (PCS)...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wow!!!!!

Did you find out how they recovered it?  Was it used in a crime or did they take it off some hoodlum?

Haven't found that out yet....

Did find out they were going to cut it up, but now that the proper connections have been made and they realize it's stolen property, I'm gonna get it back...

I assume it got confiscated (eg consent search, or unrelated bust), a/o being evidence, as if it was evidence they'd probably have to hold it instead of destroying it as unclaimed property....

FWIW, apparently when you have a car and a gun stolen, MPD does not play 'connect the dots' and put the gun into stolen property, they just file as 'Auto Theft' and forget...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Unless MPD has cleaned up their act be prepared to have what will amount to a worthless piece of junk returned to you. It is (or at least was) their policy to send all recovered firearms to the State Crime Lab for ballistics testing. Upon receipt by the Crime Lab, the firearm's serial # is not good enough for them so they take a mechanical engraver and and sloppily engrave their unique 10 or so digit inventory # right down to the metal. This is done on the frame and on the barrel. The firearm is then returned uncleaned, unoiled, and usually has rust in the bore, where the engraving is, and anywhere else the weapon was handled. Although yours may not be as rusted as mine were if they don't hold them for a year because they are "misplaced" while in actuality they were being used for a weapons sales sting involving the Latin Kings. It finally took a court order for their return. The most tragic thing about the whole situation is that my suit against the MPD & State of WI for the negligent damage to a $30,000 firearms collection was dismissed by the Court due to a State Statue that grants governmental bodies immunity from property damage claims. At that point I was so PO'd, I told the Judge that the guns were worthless to me and I guess I'll just stand at 9th & State with a sandwhich board advertising guns for sale to the highest bidder. Whatever happened to them after that is the Police and the State's responsibility. At that point my Attorney removed me from the courtroom before I talked myself into a contempt charge.
This still eats me up 5 years after the fact.

--john
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unless MPD has cleaned up their act be prepared to have what will amount to a worthless piece of junk returned to you. It is (or at least was) their policy to send all recovered firearms to the State Crime Lab for ballistics testing. Upon receipt by the Crime Lab, the firearm's serial # is not good enough for them so they take a mechanical engraver and and sloppily engrave their unique 10 or so digit inventory # right down to the metal. This is done on the frame and on the barrel. The firearm is then returned uncleaned, unoiled, and usually has rust in the bore, where the engraving is, and anywhere else the weapon was handled. Although yours may not be as rusted as mine were if they don't hold them for a year because they are "misplaced" while in actuality they were being used for a weapons sales sting involving the Latin Kings. It finally took a court order for their return. The most tragic thing about the whole situation is that my suit against the MPD & State of WI for the negligent damage to a $30,000 firearms collection was dismissed by the Court due to a State Statue that grants governmental bodies immunity from property damage claims. At that point I was so PO'd, I told the Judge that the guns were worthless to me and I guess I'll just stand at 9th & State with a sandwhich board advertising guns for sale to the highest bidder. Whatever happened to them after that is the Police and the State's responsibility. At that point my Attorney removed me from the courtroom before I talked myself into a contempt charge.

--john

Sorry to hear that.  Did you take it up with your elected folks?  Might want to try it.

Again, I'm sorry.  Not suprised, but sorry!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

--john

Figures...

Fortunately, the barrel in question is a $10 gunshow POS... I have the original back here..

As for engraving, that sucks... Hopefully it will be 'fixable', but we're talking M1927 Sistema Colt here... Would be nice to keep it untouched, but as long as it still works... I bought it from JLD back when they were 'a steal', and it was a good one...

They are running a 'background check' (I assume they are doing some sort of 'Has this guy done ANYTHING ANYWHERE that can allow us to keep his gun' search of every criminal record known to man), but since I've never gotten anything worse than a speeding ticket, there's nothing there...

Finally, I hope the 'Blue Colt' (as they call it) still has the CTC LaserGrips on it that were installed when it was stolen...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I know a lot of people that have had to go through large extents to recover what was legally theirs.

I know a few cops that are completely appauled by what happens to them as well.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe you'll get lucky, and the thief had it  gold plated!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Maybe you'll get lucky, and the thief had it  gold plated!

Still blue, according to the cops...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know a lot of people that have had to go through large extents to recover what was legally theirs.

It took over 15 months to recover my dad's 1897 winchester after a hunting accident in Sheboygan county. The DA insisted on giving us the "runaround" more than a few times, and then we had more problems with actually getting it from the sheriff...apparently it takes 24+ hours to do a background check ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top