Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 3:25:48 AM EDT
I had it saved in My Documents and accidentally cleaned it out (and emptied the trash).

I remember there was a day that it was closed to the public. Which one?

Rapid fire allowed and can shoot rifle and pistol at same station?

Free? (Pretty sure it is)

Need a park pass for vehicles?

And exactly on CTY F is it?

Longest range on it?

How busy should I expect on weekends?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I had it saved in My Documents and accidentally cleaned it out (and emptied the trash).

I remember there was a day that it was closed to the public. Which one? According to the sign at the entrance, Tuesdays is LEO/Military only day.

Rapid fire allowed and can shoot rifle and pistol at same station? Rapid fire is fine. There is nobody on duty there...that I've seen anyway. Yes, you can shoot pistol and rifle at the same station. The sign says only small bore rifle at the 25yrd. range though. However, I've seen plenty of people shooting 7.62 and larger there.

Free? (Pretty sure it is) Yes

Need a park pass for vehicles? No

And exactly on CTY F is it? I come from the north. It's about 1 to 1.5 miles south of the Yellowstone park entrance on F. If you're coming from the north it's easy to miss because the gravel drive into the range will be on the left and it angles back into the trees towards the north east.

Longest range on it? 100 yards

How busy should I expect on weekends? I've been there on weekends when it was fairly busy at the pistol range, maybe 6 people at one time, but I've also been there when I was the only one or just a couple other guys there. It really depends. I'd imagine that this time of year it's going to be busier than normal due to a lot of the deer hunters sighting in their rifles.

Currently the benches they have there are pretty crappy. None of them are covered and some of them are just old picnick tables.

However, I was talking to a guy there, who must have been LEO or something, because he was sayig that the LEO guys were planning on fixing the range up a bit and building new covered benches there. That would be pretty nice.

There is also an archery range there as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Rapid fire allowed and can shoot rifle and pistol at same station? Rapid fire is fine. There is nobody on duty there...that I've seen anyway. Yes, you can shoot pistol and rifle at the same station. The sign says only small bore rifle at the 25yrd. range though. However, I've seen plenty of people shooting 7.62 and larger there.

If you get cought by a Ranger shooting any rifle larger than .22 on the pistol range you'll probably be asked to leave immediately.  Also, Yellowstone Lake is a paper target only range.  Please don't shoot glass or clays.

Free? (Pretty sure it is) Yes They have a donation box.  The range is maintained by a local gun club that pays for the target stands and cleanup out of their own pockets.  Be a nice gun and drop in a buck or two.

Longest range on it? 100 yards 200 yard rifle range.  But almost every time I've been there someone has their car parked between the 200 and 100 yard benches.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you get cought by a Ranger shooting any rifle larger than .22 on the pistol range you'll probably be asked to leave immediately.  Also, Yellowstone Lake is a paper target only range.  Please don't shoot glass or clays.

Free? (Pretty sure it is) Yes They have a donation box.  The range is maintained by a local gun club that pays for the target stands and cleanup out of their own pockets.  Be a nice gun and drop in a buck or two.

Longest range on it? 100 yards 200 yard rifle range.  But almost every time I've been there someone has their car parked between the 200 and 100 yard benches.

Is it really 200 yards?

I guess my judge of distances must be off then

Also, I've only seen one set of benches at the rifle range, with a big grassy area between it and the target stand.

Is there another area that I'm not aware of? Because I certainly don't remember seeing any benches set up in the middle of that grassy area.

Of course I've only been there a couple of times, so I could have missed it I guess.

ETA: Good to know about not shooting larger than .22 at the 25yard range though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is it really 200 yards?

Also, I've only seen one set of benches at the rifle range, with a big grassy area between it and the target stand.

Is there another area that I'm not aware of? Because I certainly don't remember seeing any benches set up in the middle of that grassy area.

Of course I've only been there a couple of times, so I could have missed it I guess.

ETA: Good to know about not shooting larger than .22 at the 25yard range though.

The 100 yard benches are on a ashpalt pad IIRC, but it might be concrete.  They overlook the shallow basin between the benches and the target berm.  The 200 yard benches are nearer the curve of the road by the archery ranage, and I think there is another asphalt pad there (it's been awhile since I shot there).  There isn't much of a rise between the two bench areas.  Out of the dozen or so times I've made the drive to Yellowstone I've seen perhaps two people other than myself and the people in my group who where shooting from 200 yards.  I think it's easy to overlook.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it really 200 yards?

The 100 yard benches are on a ashpalt pad IIRC, but it might be concrete.  They overlook the shallow basin between the benches and the target berm.  The 200 yard benches are nearer the curve of the road by the archery ranage, and I think there is another asphalt pad there (it's been awhile since I shot there).  There isn't much of a rise between the two bench areas.  Out of the dozen or so times I've made the drive to Yellowstone I've seen perhaps two people other than myself and the people in my group who where shooting from 200 yards.  I think it's easy to overlook.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going googly eyed or something

Glad to know it really WAS 100 yards I was shooting at!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top