Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 4:21:51 PM EDT
I guess i put them at 8-8 for the year after todays performance.I didn't like some of the play calling today when the clock was running out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I am predicting a 6-10 season.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Favre is washed up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
What happened?  They suck.

Defense is horrible from top to bottom.  Listening to the commentators today, I had to keep myself from screaming.  They were talking about how this defensive scheme really depends on thier corners.  What?!?!? We know our corners suck, but our scheme depends on them?  I'm not sure if it's possible for the rest of the defense to suck more.

With no defense, offense is on the spot and not up to the job.  The O line has one or two good players, but they cannot makeup for the rest that are terrible.  There are good spots in the offense, but they just don't have an overall good team.

Farve just cannot pick this team up.  He could be good with an OK team.  He could still be great with a decent, solid team.  But he just can't do well with a sh#tty team that gives him no help.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What happened?  They suck.

Defense is horrible from top to bottom.  Listening to the commentators today, I had to keep myself from screaming.  They were talking about how this defensive scheme really depends on thier corners.  What?!?!? We know our corners suck, but our scheme depends on them?  I'm not sure if it's possible for the rest of the defense to suck more.

With no defense, offense is on the spot and not up to the job.  The O line has one or two good players, but they cannot makeup for the rest that are terrible.  There are good spots in the offense, but they just don't have an overall good team.

Farve just cannot pick this team up.  He could be good with an OK team.  He could still be great with a decent, solid team.  But he just can't do well with a sh#tty team that gives him no help.  

I'd say that pretty much nails it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If Favre doesn't throw those two INT's, we had a good chance of winning that game.

On offense, Green needs to adjust to the new O-line or move over for that Williams kid IMO.  Our O-line can't block as reliably as the old one did.  Green will kick your ass, but he will generally aim for the hole that was planned, if it's open he's gonna kill a corner or safety and break into the secondary, if not he'll run into the pile 8 out of 10 times.  He hasn't lost anything as a runner yet, he just needs to start looking for alternate holes and creases until the blocking gets more reliable.

One final note:  Do not sign Green to an extension.  His asthma is starting to get to him and he has a lot of miles.  The downslide is imminent.  Trade him and Davenport for some D-help in the LB's or DL (defense wins championships) and go with Williams, Fisher, and bring in a couple FAs.

I think the Defense has a chance.  With C. Hunt gone, I noticed the D-line pressured the QB a little more consistently then they have in the past.  The announcer only had it half right.  The defensive scheme relies on our corners playing good bump and run to throw timing off.  They are doing it pretty well AND not missing as many assignments as last year.  However, if the D-line cant collapse the pocket, it's only a matter of time before a reciever comes open.  

On the plus side, the defense played the run pretty damn well.  In the past teams could run up the middle on us at will and get regular gains.  So far this season it has been a lot better.  I attribute that to the new 3 technique tackle along with Jackson playing well.  This will only improve as the young linemen in the rotation get reps.

IIRC the last TD was a whiffed tackle by Mark Roman, and Nick Collins was in the wrong place.  Collins was a rookie mistake.  He has a lot of potential, it just happened at a really bad time.  Earl Little should be starting instead of Roman.  Little is a few years older and isn't as fast, but is more assignment sure and I think a better tackler.  AND, he'll lay a knockout hit when he can.

Defensive synopsis:  Give Bates a chance.  By the middle of the season, I think we'll be a solid middle of the pack defense at least.

OFFENSE:
Favre made some statements in interviews that really cranked me off.  "Yeah, I take chances, but that's me.  That's my style, and I have won games that way.  It's not gonna change".  

I can't believe that.  Number one, if something you are doing costs you games, then it's your obligation to change it.  Just because you are 36 years old, doesn't mean you are no longer required to fix mistakes and improve weaknesses.  You are still getting paid to be a pro football player.  Fixing mistakes and improving your game are what pros are supposed to do.  

He needs to quit throwing INT's.  If that means playing more conservatively, then so be it.  He has room to improve his reads.  And finally, make up your damn mind, are you going to run the ball for the 1st, or flip it to someone else?  Your recievers would really like to know Brett!

Don't get me wrong, I love Favre as much as the next Packer fan.  But like any soldier or cop will tell you, a pro never gets complacent and decides he is doing things good enough.  For them, it will get you killed.  In football, you'll get what we have seen the last season or so.  And his attitude will bleed off on the rest of the offense as well.  

Brett had four things going for him that made him what he is:  

1.  Arm strength/ball velocity
2.  Finding the guy/seeing the hole that he could fire that fastball into
3.  Getting away from sure sacks and buying time with his feet for recievers to get open and making the play
4.  Competitive spirit in every game, which made him do things like run 15 yards for the end zone and take Linebackers on HEAD ON.

The only thing he still has is the arm strength.  The rest is fading.  Brett needs to realize this and play the system, conservatively, and let the coaches and game plan win the game.  He can't do it anymore.

A great example of the right way to do this was John Elway.  He was well in his downslide when the Broncs beat the Packers in the SB.  He was just smart enough to play smart, and had a team and game plans that would allow them to win without heroic actions by the QB.

Sherman needs to get on his ass, or put Nall in.    

Finally, Sherman needs to be quicker to react in the play calling.  The Browns were leaving the underneath crossing patterns open all game long and the two times we ran that play, we got some good yards out of it.  If they start playing to it, that opens up the longer ball.

Offensive synopsis:  The people who say "the Packers live and die by Brett Favre" are more right than they realize.  If Favre is satisfied with a shitty performance, and sees no reason to improve his shortcomings, the rest of the offense won't either.  Sherman is too intimidated by Brett to coach him.  His QB coach was watching him be the best QB in the league when he was in college and went undrafted.  Favre humors him, he doesn't listen to him.  Either the light will come on for Brett, a coach will step up and kick him in the ass, or the whole season will be like last weekend.  Unfortunately, I see the offensive going up and down throughout the season, and Brett retiring at the end of it.

Sorry for the rant guys.  Just my opinion........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top