Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 4:30:05 PM EDT
In order to more effectively answer your questions, I will type them next to your original questions in blue, see below.

I am looking for clafification on a few issues. In the following questions I am refering to  small game mammals and not game birds.

I was always under the impression that you could only use a rimfire firearm for small game hunting. Reading your regulations online I see no mention of anything saying or implying this.  It is not illegal to use a centerfire rifle for Small Game hunting those species that you may use a rifle for.

From what I read it appears as though I may use any caliber centerfire cartrige I choose for small game; providing that the grounds I am hunting on are not specified shotgun only (such as Bong) or during the deer season in shotgun only deer zone.

Outside of a deer gun season you may possess and use a centerfire rifle for hunting small game anywhere the discharge of firearms is not prohibited and you have permission to hunt during the open season for that species. The prohibition on possession of a rifle only pertains to the deer gun season and to state parks which offer small game hunting. In state parks that offer small game hunting only shotguns may be used.

Would it be legal to be in posession of a centirefire firearm larger than .22 caliber durring gun deer season while hunting small game in a gun deer zone though I am not hunting deer nor have a deer tag? You may, so long as you are not in possession of the rifle in a shotgun only area. In shotgun only counties, during a deer gun season, you may not possess a rifle larger than a .22 caliber centerfire rifle, regardless of what you intend to hunt.

Along the lines of the previous question would it be legal to carry a pistol with a barrel length of more than 4" but less than 5" while I am deer hunting with a rifle in a gun deer zone for the purpose of small game hunting? The pistol would not be used to hunt deer. This would be legal

I am also looking for clarification on the issue of small game hunting with a pistol. The laws state that for small game the pistol must have a barrel of at least 4" measured from muzzle to bolt face. I also see no mention of a restriction of centerfire use on this. So I would assume it would be legal to hunt small game with a centerfire pistol except durring deer season in a shotgun deer zone? It is legal to hunt small game with a centerfire handgun chambered for a .22 cartridge or larger, statewide throughout the open season for that small game species, regardless if the deer gun season is open or not as handguns are not prohibited in shotgun only counties.

And finaly, is it legal to hunt with more than one firearm such as a long gun and a pistol on ones self at the same time?

This is legal provided you have the proper licenses to hunt with each firearm, all the firearms are legal for that unit/area, and you are not in violation of any local ordinances for either firearm.

Thank you very much for your time and I would greatly appreciate a response.
---------------------------------------------

This cleared up many questions i had about some WI hunting regulations. I sent this on the 22nd of august, so it took them a few weeks to get back to me, and they sent a carbon copy to about 5 people, i guess i realy had them looking over the rules. If anyone would like a copy of the e-mail send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
you shoulda posted this in the legal secion but good info to know
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I plan on carrying my 1911 this year while small game hunting just in case any bears or wolves give me some trouble.  Perhaps it's an unlikely event, but I don't mind being prepared.  

Now if I see a grouse really close I might try and get him with the .45 instead of the 20ga.  I bet I miss the bird too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks.  I plan on carrying my 1911 this year while small game hunting just in case any bears or wolves give me some trouble.  Perhaps it's an unlikely event, but I don't mind being prepared.  

Now if I see a grouse really close I might try and get him with the .45 instead of the 20ga.  I bet I miss the bird too.

Ah, I don;t think that you can use a rifle/handgun to shoot a grouse.  I always thought that you had to  use a shot gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, I don;t think that you can use a rifle/handgun to shoot a grouse.  I always thought that you had to  use a shot gun.

According to the above post I can.  I won't of course, but that's what I got out of it.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You can only use a shotgun for birds. No rifles or pistols allowed for them. Look at the first like of blue text "It is not illegal to use a centerfire rifle for Small Game hunting those species that you may use a rifle for." In the rule book it says that you cannot use a rifle or pistol for birds, so its not a species you can use a rifle for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Whoops, my bad.  I can barely hit those bastards with a shotgun, I doubt I'd be able to get one with a pistol anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#7]
WI deer hunting season; when your rights go further down the toilet.

I've gotton harassed during bow season for transporting two target rifles.

No rifle/pistol for birds, otherwise I would hunt Turkeys like varmints from 400yards away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
This is really good timing, becasue I sent them a question of my own.

Dear Wi DNR, I'll be deer hunting as an archer this year, and I plan on carrying an AR15 in a tactical sling in case I get confronted by a SKS-wielding Hmong on a homicidal rampage. If asked about the rifle, I plan to say that it is for coyotes and present a valid small game license. Would this be legal?
Thanks,
Concerned Citizen

Dear Concerned Citizen, ............. SSS!

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
An ar15 is legal to hunt deer with in Wisconsin.  But if you ask me, saying you wanted it for self protection against mongs is a stupid thing to ask.  They're not going ot condone shoot outs during deer season with any kind of weapon.  And on top of that if you're not armed well enough with a traditional rifle, I don't think the ar is going to help just because it carry's a bunch more bullets.  There's nothing illegal about a Semi Auto in .223 for deer.  You were just asking for trouble. On top of that you basically said you were going to lie when confronted. If it's leagal you don't need an excuse.  Did you really submit this to them, or was this a joke?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I seriusly think it was a joke
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I seriusly think it was a joke

but in his defense, someone had posted they were going to do this cause they could.  I believe that some people on here, that say they are going to do stupid things like that, are serious.  However, it this case, I thought it was a joke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top