Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 1:59:53 PM EDT
I bought a second hand, but unfired Traditions Tracker 209 .45cal inline.

I've read the manual, taken it apart, looked at all the pieces and put it all back together.
It ignites with a shotgun primer.
The manual says to use Pyrodex, Pyrodex pellets, or FFG powder as propellant.
Powder charge goes in first, then saboted round is rammed firmly on top of charge and finally a primer goes on the breech plug before firing.

What I don't know.

Can I use any old grease for the threads on the breech plug?
Can I use CLP or regular gun oil to lube the rifle?
If I forgo the sabots, what sort of bullet lube is required?
The manual lists a proprietary "Wonder Lube ####" for every operation.

Are the cleaning supplies different from a regular gun cleaning kit?
Manual says hot soap and water, with cleaning patches that seem to be different than usual patch cloths.

It recommends cleaning between shots while sighting in, and getting accustomed to the rifle.
Surely they don't mean a soap and water cleaning.
I'm thinking the barrel gets a patch or two.
With what?
CLP?
Solvent?
Are usual cleaning products a threat to the powder and primers?

Help me get going.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Can I dry fire it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they really mean soap and water to vclean the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit, I just noticed that you have twelve thousand posts.

You've got diarrhea of the finger!
Running off at the hand even.

I know that they really do mean soap and water for a throough cleaning, but for in between shots at the range ......... can't be.
There's got to be some way to swab out the barrel with a cloth and some solvent or something.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Holy shit, I just noticed that you have twelve thousand posts.

You've got diarrhea of the finger!
Running off at the hand even.

I know that they really do mean soap and water for a throough cleaning, but for in between shots at the range ......... can't be.
There's got to be some way to swab out the barrel with a cloth and some solvent or something.

i've got some stuff called.... um shit I can't find the bottle, but it's basicly a soap and water solution. it's made for BP guns. If I can find it i'll bring it out next time were at the range and you can have it. it's a little spray bottle type thing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#5]
If you use 777 (tripple seven brand) powder or powder pelets you can clean the barrel and breach plug with 3 or 4 patches and plain water.  Then dry it off and protect it with regular rem oil, clp whatever.  I just use bearing grease on the breach plug very sparingly.

If you shoot Pyrodex or black powder you actually have to use hot soapy water to remove the crusty black powder residue prior to using any oil.  Black powder and its residue attracts H2O!

I shoot 50 cal power belts on top of 100 grains of 777 which produces 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100.  I don't know &#!* about 45 cal. or sabots but I'm sure someone in the Muzzle Loader forum can give you a recipie.  I can shoot about 10 shots before it gets hard to seat the bullet so you will have to clean it to get accurate results.  I got 47 shots out of my old .54 cal using pyrodex before it siezed up tight and HAD to be cleaned in order to fire again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top