Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 7:56:14 PM EDT
and then down near LaCrosse on the 18th.

What do I need to see and do?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:12:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Go fishing if you can.  Skip the fishing hall of fame, it sucks.  Famous Daves on Round Lake (I think) has great food.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#2]
From LaCrosse, take a drive down Hwy 35.   Stop in at one of the Lock & Dam's and check it out.  They are quite the engineering marvel for how old they are.  The Mississippi river is pretty cool to travel along.   Possibly boat hotties on the river too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
From LaCrosse, take a drive down Hwy 35.   Stop in at one of the Lock & Dam's and check it out.  They are quite the engineering marvel for how old they are.  The Mississippi river is pretty cool to travel along.   Possibly boat hotties on the river too.

Thanks.  I live about 10 miles from a Mississippi lock!  I especially like going out there in the winter to watch the eagles.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  I live about 10 miles from a Mississippi lock!  I especially like going out there in the winter to watch the eagles.

I love watching them ice fish in the Genoa National Fish Hatchery.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]
GO TO THE FAMOUS DAVE'S!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#6]
After action report -

- I have a decent case of Muskie fever now; I will be going back without the family so I can focus on fishing.

- The locals laughed when I talked about the temps cooling down to 85F at home.  Their idea of drought is pretty different than here, also.

- Famous Dave's is sufficient, but it's not the best barbeque in the world.

- Didn't get to fish much, both spinning reels broke down, but mostly had to entertain the rest of the family.

- The cabins at Riverside Motel in Hayward are pretty nice, especially if there are only two persons.  The downside is their location in the middle of town.  The owner is a tightwad German.

- The Fishing Museum is excellent, if you appreciate such things.

- Gas was $2.76 most of the time.

- I also want to get back up to Bayfield for a few days.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't have anyone to fish Musky with, I'm willing to drive down from Superior and go half and half on boat/motor rental.  I have 4 baitcating musky rods and a TON of huge lures for those monsters that I'll gladly share with you.  You won't get to use my few 'special' lures though.  The last 'special' one I borrowed got buried in some wood underwater.  

I've fished Grindstone, and Teal lake down there.  I would love to put some time in on the Chip flowage someday.  They both seemed to have lots of smallmouth bass in them too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:24:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you don't have anyone to fish Musky with, I'm willing to drive down from Superior and go half and half on boat/motor rental.  I have 4 baitcating musky rods and a TON of huge lures for those monsters that I'll gladly share with you.  You won't get to use my few 'special' lures though.  The last 'special' one I borrowed got buried in some wood underwater.  

I've fished Grindstone, and Teal lake down there.  I would love to put some time in on the Chip flowage someday.  They both seemed to have lots of smallmouth bass in them too.

That sounds good, especially since I probably need some advice.  The Chippewa Flowage looks awesome, it seems to get more traffic than some of the other lakes, and I wouldn't enter it without a good map and a compass at the bare bones minumum because I don't like to get lost in small boats.  One guide I talked to at Pastika's lives close by and has never been on that water!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Grindstone is pretty big but there's a huge bar that runs 6-15ft under the surface (the rest of the lake is like 40ft deep IIRC) so we just fished off the bar.  I had one follow there.  Teal was fairly easy to fish, I caught one small musky there and had a nice follow at a classic spot (wind blown rock reef between two points).  

The Chip is huge but I'd just hit certain spots, a little at a time I guess.  I love using jerkbaits and topwaters but I have bucktails and crankbaits too.  I"ll post a pic of my lure buckets later tonight sometime.   Topwater lures are a rush, you see those bad boys come cruising after them just under the surface and it gets you all shook up.  I've pulled lures away from muskies at least 5 times.

Jason
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top