Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 11:42:51 PM EDT
I have been looking through the 2005 hunting regulations and I cant see anything that says I cant hunt small game in any area (non state park) with a rifle. I am just wondering if for example it would be leagl to hunt with a .223 in the Kettle Morane for coyote?

I dont see anything saying i cant, but I have always been told that you have to follow the deer hunting regulations as to where you can use centerfire rifles for small game.

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It's my understanding that you can hunt coyote in WI with pretty much whatever you want, whenever you want.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Best bet is to call teh DNR and talk with a warden.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have been looking through the 2005 hunting regulations and I cant see anything that says I cant hunt small game in any area (non state park) with a rifle. I am just wondering if for example it would be leagl to hunt with a .223 in the Kettle Morane for coyote?

I dont see anything saying i cant, but I have always been told that you have to follow the deer hunting regulations as to where you can use centerfire rifles for small game.

Anyone know?

As far as rifles go you can hunt anything you want with a rifle, with a few exceptions, like turkey and ducks and such(ussually any bird you can't use a rifle)

Rifles
It is legal to hunt Small Game Mammals (page 20), Furbearing Animals (page 25),
and Unprotected Species (page 27) with a rifle except that it is illegal to:
• possess a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches.
• possess a rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.
• possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire or centerfire during the gun deer
season in shotgun deer season areas unless it is unloaded and enclosed within a
carrying case.

• hunt any Game Bird or Migratory Game Bird with a rifle.

Notice the only restriction on hunting with a rifle is durring deeer seasons in shotgun only areas.
Also note that it does not list a minimum caliber for rifle, while handguns must be 17cal or greater.
I included the below link for you to the small game regs. Also "Shotgun only" hunting areas to my understanding from conversations with Wardens is that it only applies for deer hunting, not for small game and unprotected species like coyote and hogs. If you have any questions it's best to call the DNR and get them answered that way.
Wisconsin Small Game Regs
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Nuther confirmation.

I've had this exact discussion with a game warden last year, and you're A-okay with a rifle.
The shotgun-only restrictions apply to deer-with-firearm only.

You may hunt 'yotes in shotgun country with .223.
Gonna be a tough hunt though.
I've never seen one and had a rifle at the same time.
They're awfully alert.

I've been doing some early deer scouting, teaching the wife to find game in the northern Kettles.
(She wants to take a Bambi.)
I don my backtag and carry a rifle just incase we come across an unlucky 'yote, but I know it'll never happen.
I did have a nice shot on a 8-12 point buck last time.
It tore me up inside to stand there and watch him with a rifle in my hands and not be able to take the shot.
A voice in my head kept saying, "There he is ... swing it up ............. there he is ... SWING - IT - UP ...."

Where ya been going? Southern Kettles? How is it there?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nuther confirmation.

I've had this exact discussion with a game warden last year, and you're A-okay with a rifle.
The shotgun-only restrictions apply to deer-with-firearm only.

You may hunt 'yotes in shotgun country with .223.
Gonna be a tough hunt though.
I've never seen one and had a rifle at the same time.
They're awfully alert.

I've been doing some early deer scouting, teaching the wife to find game in the northern Kettles.
(She wants to take a Bambi.)
I don my backtag and carry a rifle just incase we come across an unlucky 'yote, but I know it'll never happen.
I did have a nice shot on a 8-12 point buck last time.
It tore me up inside to stand there and watch him with a rifle in my hands and not be able to take the shot.
A voice in my head kept saying, "There he is ... swing it up ............. there he is ... SWING - IT - UP ...."

Where ya been going? Southern Kettles? How is it there?

Why the back tag? it's only nessesary for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As far as rifles go you can hunt anything you want with a rifle,

Hmmm .300win mag vs squirrel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

New info to me, and I'll want to verif it.
I am under the impression that all hunting requires a back tag.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, never wear a back tag unless I'm deer hungting, thats the only time you have to wear one. I've never had  a problem with it the couple times I've talked to DNR while out in the field tree rat hunting and not wearing a back tag. Also the blaze orange requirement is only durring gun deer seasons(T zone and the regular 9 day season and any other special hunts)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As far as rifles go you can hunt anything you want with a rifle,

Hmmm .300win mag vs squirrel.

Been there only with a 338 225grian softpoint
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Dead squirrels are useless without pics.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about the only type of hunting that even issues you a back tag is deer (either bow or gun)

Kinda hard to wear one when they dont give you
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How about the only type of hunting that even issues you a back tag is deer (either bow or gun)

Kinda hard to wear one when they dont give you

I get the sportsman's license that covers fishing, small game and deer-with-firearm.
I've supplimented that with an archer's license.
My hunting licneses have always come with a back tag.
I thought they all did.

Lve and learn, I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top