Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2005 8:11:57 PM EDT
    Hey there, I have been lurking for almost a year now.  Since then have bought a RRA 20in A2 (love it) and I'm looking into getting a handgun... mainly for plinking, targets, etc. but also for CCW if it ever goes through.
    I'm a relative newbie (hit the range once or twice a year with a revolver in the past), looking into a Glock 19 or ???.  My wife is OK with me taking a class, even if its a few day ordeal.  Do you guys have any recommendations or warnings about any courses or programs in the Wisconsin area?  (Besides the standard buy a bunch of ammo and start practicing).   I have been looking at Lethal Force Institute, Defensive Edge, etc.  (Will miss DE course this weekend).  I'm looking for a practical course that includes a lot of range time, but the LFI lectures sound valuable too.  Any experience, insight, or BS is welcomed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Well i haven't taken any LFI course, but the lectures are worth it from what I hear. They cover a lto of things like when use of force is ok when it's not and things like that. They get into the legal aspects as well from what I hear. As far as price for what you get ya can't beat DETC. A couple of us have taken the Carbine 1/2 twice and walked away from both classes having learned something. Ya work for it though. By the end of day one yer tired and sore, byt the end of day two yer even more tired and sore, I don't know about the rest of the crew but usually by the end of day two, I'm ready to go for a day 3 regardless of how sore I am.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  I have been looking at the dates that Firearms Training is offering LFI, it might work out for me. After that, then hey, I'll take DE pistol and carbine classes.  I had better start kissing up to my wife :).  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake by taking LFI based on everyone's experiences or word of mouth.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
What part of the state are you in?...If near Green Bay I can provide info on a good class

Dave
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Talk to me. What's goin on In Green Bay??
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Harv24

Talk to Mike at Olsens about training classes that he does.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the Milwaukee area. (northwest suburb of Milwaukee)
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I took Mike's APC I class last year in Luxemburg, just outside GB.  It was a lot of fun and I actually learned something.  I put over 500 rds through the Beretta that hot summer day.  I could have shot another couple of hundred rounds if it was up to me.     Fun, Fun, Fun!!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of curiosity...what's his credentials?? Background? Ex LEO? ex Military? What do the classes teach?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Out of curiosity...what's his credentials?? Background? Ex LEO? ex Military? What do the classes teach?

Inbound IM

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm in the Milwaukee area. (northwest suburb of Milwaukee)

Sam Beech at Shooters in Racine 262 681 -1040  give them a call for info On Sam
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I have seen some fliers in the front window of Midwestern Shooters Supply in Lomira for 1 day NRA certified beginners classes.  If I remember correctly, they were starting mid morning and ending early evening.  (I think they were always on weekends).  You may want to just walk in to the desk and ask what's up with them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#13]
i've taken the one at midwestern. its a great class for a beginner. its 2 days one day is classroom leaning about safety, and what makes one pistol different to another. basic stuff. 2nd day is in the range.
if you want more info on it i have the instructurs contact info or you can call midwestern.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi I'm Mike from Olson Sales.  Thank you for the reccomendations guys.  I do not have any pistol classes scheduled for this year but I am offering a Tactical Rifle course on Sept. 4th.   Anyone wishing for more info can shoot me an E-mail and I will forward you the course description.  I will be at the DPMS TRI GUN the Aug 11th-14th.  I also offer private instruction in Handgun, Rifle and Shotgun.  Thanks---Mike

Magnum and Dave I think I know who you guys are but send me message so I can thank you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
firearmstrng.com/

Ditto.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top