Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2005 8:01:33 AM EDT
/1*\

OK, I've seen this cropping up more and more in people's sig lines.

At the risk of sounding terribly naive ...........

Could someone please enlighten me as to what it means?

Thanks!

~GryphonX
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#2]
an "*" is an asterisk

put the number "1" in front of it....
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I get it!

I feel so much more enlightened now!

Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I get it!

I feel so much more enlightened now!

Thanks.

It's more than just that it's a Defensive Edge Alumni thing, well at last for us Wisconsin guys and gals that have it, oh and the minn. guys as well. Not everyone uses it though. Just a badge kind of for going out and getting formal training. It's the Defensive Edge logo as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's more than just that it's a Defensive Edge Alumni thing, well at last for us Wisconsin guys and gals that have it, oh and the minn. guys as well. Not everyone uses it though. Just a badge kind of for going out and getting formal training. It's the Defensive Edge logo as well.

Aha!

Got it now.

Thanks, Photo.

~GryphonX
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The 1* was created in 1986 by Gary Paul Johnston for SWAT.  It was designed as a reminder that you only have "one ass to risk."  The design created in a military shield has been a logo for SWAT and Law Enforcement since its creation.

My Avatar is a logo created by Butch Ramik.  The thin blue line representing law enforcement.  The black background signifies the chaos.  1* is the "one ass to risk."

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#7]
GoBack thanks for mentioning that. I knew a part of the history as far as the LE connection but didn't want to mention it as I didn't know it all and didn't want to misrepresent that aspect of it.

GryphonX as you can see it means different things to different groups of folks.

Though in the end it means the same thing in a way. We all have only one ass to risk. Thats part of the driving force as to why I want to get as much formal training as possible. I don't have to risk my ass everyday like an LEO does, but when it's on the line(and it has been before) I still got that one ass, and I want the knowhow and the skills to make sure it stays safe you only get that through training.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't let them lie to you.

Its a klansman with a black eye.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The 1* was created in 1986 by Gary Paul Johnston for SWAT.  It was designed as a reminder that you only have "one ass to risk."  The design created in a military shield has been a logo for SWAT and Law Enforcement since its creation.

My Avatar is a logo created by Butch Ramik.  The thin blue line representing law enforcement.  The black background signifies the chaos.  1* is the "one ass to risk."

That's awesome!

Now that I see it, I recognize it from having seen it somewhere's, but I can exactly recall.

Rich history.

Thanks for sharing that - very cool!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
GoBack thanks for mentioning that. I knew a part of the history as far as the LE connection but didn't want to mention it as I didn't know it all and didn't want to misrepresent that aspect of it.

GryphonX as you can see it means different things to different groups of folks.

Though in the end it means the same thing in a way. We all have only one ass to risk. Thats part of the driving force as to why I want to get as much formal training as possible. I don't have to risk my ass everyday like an LEO does, but when it's on the line(and it has been before) I still got that one ass, and I want the knowhow and the skills to make sure it stays safe you only get that through training.

I'm there with you on the sentiment, Photo, I just never knew various groups had officially (and cleverly!) embodied it on their persons with symbols.

Very neat!

Glad I'm now in the know.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Don't let them lie to you.

Its a klansman with a black eye.

ROTFLMAO!  Damn you, you owe me a new keyboard now!

ETA: Twice in one night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top