Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2005 12:48:32 PM EDT
Starting a new thread...
I'm really limited quite abit to what's in my back yard.I'd be alittle slack in the Nicolet and  especially the desert.

The GMRS idea is seperate from Wiar15 team survivor.I'd like to put together four Saturdays a year with a volunteer training staff(basically  if you feel you have a skill to share,make a proposal).I can teach/share at least one skill and some times that's enough.I also plan on bringing in Martial Artists to teach and there will be some lower key 'local' classes BBSed thru Wisarfcom and LFer.

I'll do the first one this fall, I'll check and see when the season opens.We'll bag us a couple of tender ones and learn alittle about stone tools,and skin,and quarter,and butcher the deer.
Braintanning takes 2-3 days but we get to build a smoker to treat the hide and preserve some of the meat(what we don't eat).

I usually start the process  the week before and start a hide every couple of days so on class day we have an example of every step of the process.
The parts inbetween eating meat can be spent harvesting some starch and fruit.

I have a winter agenda planned out for last year that didn't pan out.A combined gear/adventure weekend working with various shelters.Shelter is a good place to start whether you're nomadic or holed up.Winter 2006 I'd lke to hit the Porkies for a week in the winter.Boundary Waters is also a nice place to trek.My back yard is a good place for shakedowns and I've never taken a  winter trip with anyone I haven't been on a shakedown with prior.There are other kind of outings that benefit from shakedowns,a week before heading to Devil's Lake to climb(when I lived in FishLAnd) we would lay out all our gear split the load,inspect ropes,etc.BEFORE the morning we hit the road.Meeting up in calm waters before a rafting or canoeing trip  to practice recoveries and establish 'SOPs' in case of an accident would require a shakedown,but that can be done in a calm backwater after you hit the creek.It definitely SUCKS if your intent on some hard canoeing and someone shows up without a helmet.
Spring is a good time to hit the Wolf River and practice water skills.

The Traditional Chinese Medical skills Clean teaches and setting up are pretty much based on the seasons,so it makes sense to me to organize my little side adventures the same way.I could even anticipate some cross over froms Clean's clientele into the outdoor skills.There are going to be different pricing structures,from folks who will teach for free,to me hosting a class for an outside group.If four or five of us want to paddle the Wisco River for a weekend I can round up an expert tracker to hang out and teach for free or donations.If I host a  class it's a different deal.I'm working on a bookkeeping system where I can easily keep track of overhead and am trying to get as much different exposure to different training setups 'out there'.

I went thru the ropes course and if I ever get the liability thing worked out I'd like to build one here.I also want to open up my place to once a year to the physically challenged,but I'd like to design something unique incorporating martial arts,outdoor skills and  adventure.At the same time I hope to use martial artists who are interested in working with the challenged as staff for that "camp".
-------
I'm trying to plan out the last half of my life here,I made a decision when I was 30 to enjoy life till I hit 50,and that I did(and still am)...Except I'm only 47,and broke both ways so it's time to get on the stick.
I have a 50/50 partner and AFAIC she runs the place,I don't think I would be around today if it weren't for her.The way it's written now in three-four years the house will be two apartments,there'll be a cabin(rental,backwoods B&B kindof thing)down the valley,and my permanent address will be a trimaran in the Cayman Islands.We'd like to spend a couple of months each season here training,and spend a month or so traveling and training.

bulletcatchR
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
lemme know how you figure things out (or need some ideas) I am definatly intrested specialy in the brain tanning and smoking.
Not to toot my own horn but the hunting thing I kinda have a handle on. If I can help out with some tender venison (or the getting thereof) just gimme a holler.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I got you there none
I'll need some able bodies to tag a couple of fresh animals to dress out for the demonstration.If anything we'll get into alternatives to shooting and archery,maybe setup a deadfall and try to snag some bunnies a few ways.
I rermember the days being elbow deep in deer brain,these days I get pig brains from the local meatpacker.I still show how to extract the brains from the deer but am taking as little risks with CWD as possible.

bulletcatchR
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#4]
tag and linking from the other thread...
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi:  If you need help with this let me know, I IM'd you with my quals
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got you there none
I'll need some able bodies to tag a couple of fresh animals to dress out for the demonstration.If anything we'll get into alternatives to shooting and archery,maybe setup a deadfall and try to snag some bunnies a few ways.
I rermember the days being elbow deep in deer brain,these days I get pig brains from the local meatpacker.I still show how to extract the brains from the deer but am taking as little risks with CWD as possible.

bulletcatchR

just a thought BC have you ever thought of throwing sticks for bunnies??? Hard to get the weight right but when you do they are very effective.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
none,
I've seen that.
The (stone age)   rondezvousmy buddy goes to is called "Rabbit Stick",it's on my list of things to do someday.I have an atlatl laying around here somewhere too.

bullatcatchR
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
actualy I was thinking of building some throwing sticks "as a alternative to shooting or archery" bunnys.
Sorry the whole caveman weekend thing just isnt my style (I like my comfort too much I guess)

Very intreseting page tho... will have to chk it out in more detail when I get more time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]
It's kind of like going to  blackpowder rendezvous,I went to a 'mini-camp,class'where you could hang out as 'primitive' as you want,the only requisite was being willing to learn.I hung around in my BDUs/sidearm and sheath knife.Every sport has it's purists,and they can be a pain sometimes,I think they live for the 'hardcore' events.The 'primitives' have thier extra share of anti gunners,most who have a lack of skill in stfu.Not like the buckskinners,they like thier smokepoles but most I've met appreciate the black rifles too.As long as they have thier weekend or two a year to play they are all right.On that same subject (re-enacting) I've not been to a Civil War one yet, that's alittle higher up on my list.
Enough said bout purists and snobs...I've met others like me who would pick up steel before chert,it's interesting to watch but I'm not a flintknapper.The dumpster diving crowd is another story,they'll use anything to build anything.Unless your AO is someplace that's never had a trash dump,which means it hasn't seen human footprints,if you don't trek with a GPS and/or cell/satphone/ham,depending on your AO & TOE,etc. the "primitive" skills, IMO[\B] are a great skill and fallback,especially if you trek.It's no substitute for technology and good planning.I spend too much time thinking about 'building' tools and weapons,and don't have the complete knowledge of botany I should have.I think I stand a better chance at survival learning plants over flint.

I set some kids loose in my 'backyard' once to come back with a 'weapon' good enough to bring down a deer.The smart ones headed straight out the trash dumps littered about my place looking for 'parts'(unfortunate but true,when I win the lotto I'm hiring a skyhook with a giant electromagnet to fly over parts of my place and clean it up a bit).

Back to the poor bunnies;sticks,rocks,bolos,atlatls,sling,slingshot,trap,snare,(primitive and salvage),we can do them all.At the end of the day when we're starving we'll break out the 10-22s

bulletcatchR

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...when I win the lotto I'm hiring a skyhook with a giant electromagnet to fly over parts of my place and clean it up a bit...

When I win the lotto I'm hiring a skyhook with a giant electromagnet to fly over your entire place so I can look for the goodies you've forgotten about!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#11]
You'll have better luck with a backhoe.

bulletcatchR
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
stomp the terra
HST
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top