Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 10:41:03 AM EDT
I've read a bunch of articles and posts about people's DIY camo job on rifles.
It always looked cool, but I was afraid to try it out on a rifle.

Yesterday we grabbed a couple pairs of knee pads at Hong Kong Junkyard Harbor Freight for $3.50/pair.

Not quite the high speed tactical look we were wanting to put together.

It seemed like a natural place for a trial run on some DIY rattle can camo.
I had light grey, dark grey, and black on hand, so that's what I went to work with.
It'll need different colors by May, but WTF? It was a test run.

Here's the pics.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on you environment, you may want to go more withthe dark grey, and less with the white

just guessing.....

I have spray painted camos that got that nasty "sheen" to them that old cloth gets
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Not bad at all, TJ.  I was planning on stopping at HF for a pair of thier electronic earmuffs, anyway.  Now i may grab a pair of those 'ghetto knee pads' as well.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Not bad at all.

Now where in the heck is there a HF around here?

ETA: Penguin, we're in Wisconsin, for gosh sakes.  Sometimes it feels like white is the only color around here for  to months.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The HF is in St.Francis on Whitnall.

Take 794 til it ends and make two lefts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That's pretty Kick ass. Ya just got a love good ol'e Yankee ingenuity...
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
False advertising!  Ghetto tactical should be nickel plated nylon with gold plated knee caps!

Anyways, whatever work will work.  You'll definately be happy with them at the class.  There's also a HF out on the west side of Miltown, right where that tornado came through a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Ghetto grey is a good color.Sometimes when spray painting gear,especially black stuff  to OD or CB it's easier to get coverage by going light first then the darker shade.Don't be afraid to use brush on paint,I use latex flat enamel on my winter ODs and pacboots...

I found some kickass knee pads,I wore them at class,at Farm Fleet a couple years ago.I'm partial to single strap kneepads and saw some Nicholas brand ones in CB for about 7.99.I cleaned them out of about 12 pairs and when I came back there were only black ones.
Those same ones  with the straps cut off fit in the knee pockets of '511 type' pants,I like the piece of hard plastic compared to the 'mouse pad'  type inserts.My favorite mod is to wear the Nicholas pad inside the knee pocket of the pants,with  slots for the strap to pass thru outside the pant behind the knee to tighten things up when needed.
Some guys sew pieces of gutted paracord to thier pants seams to 'capture' thier kneepad straps,that also helps the pads from getting pushed to the side.
These days I wear two layers,a neoprene sleeve type or 'basketball' pad next to the  skin and the padded shell type outside.I'm working on a new neoprene  sleeve with some hard 'armor' plastic plates glued on to protect my ACL surgery trauma sites.I'm draeading the first time I 'knock' that sucker.
I ended up moving most of those knee pads I wished I kept more.Get a few pairs at that price cause I'm always losing the damn things.That'  one reason why I like the 511 type kneepocket pants setup,but they aren't always practical to wear.
I regret all the times I went macho and abused my knees,all you young men this the the FOG speech TAKE CARE OF YOUR KNEES!!

bulletcatchR

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I stopped at the St. Francis HF and they seem to be about out of the red kneepads.  I found a few laying below the display but they were out of thier packaging and unmarked.  I could have asked if they had more in the back or if they'd mark a loose pair for me, but the place was pretty much packed when I stopped and getting any help seemed unlikely.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a HF in Appleton...College Ave I think. East of 41 just down from the Applebees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top