Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 4:34:05 PM EDT
Anyone here besides me hunt Ft McCoy?? Going again this year for the 7th annual get no deer fest.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The deer are out there, I've seen them.  But not as much as the turkeys.  Are you hunting North post or South?  From my travels around McCoy, you'll want to get out by Firing Points 418, and 421.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never hunted there, but the camping is great.  Cranfest brings us up every year.  Beautiful area.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I hunt North. Can actually say I have never hunted south. I have been to quite the wide range of FP's. I have seen a lot of deer near the east propert line, just never during the season.

True story, One day while on duty in the early afternoon I am minding my own business and a nice sized doe comes trotting up to my AO. Rather odd I thought. Here is a deer no more than 40 feet from where I am sitting. Next to me was my M-60. Loaded with blanks and blank adapter fixed. I wanted to see what would happen, so I turned the mg on it's tripod and pointed it at the doe. I pulled the trigger and let her have it. I laid in about 30 rounds. She promptly picked her head up and looked at me, with a "what the hell are you doing" look on her face, and flipped me the hoof and  then went back to eating the grass. Not satisfied that I was unable to run the deer off with automatic weapons fire, I decided to see if I could pet her. Hey maybe she was someones pet after all. Alas I got within 10 feet and she ran off. Moral of the story. Ft McCoy deer are not afraid of gunfire. This is good and bad. This is one of the reasons I started hunting there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Someday I'll tell the story of a deer vs a training HEAT round on the MPTR....while being video taped with a Thermal Night sight...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top