Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 12:17:49 PM EDT
I may take possesion of a 16" barreled AR in the next few weeks and I'll ultimately want to have it trimmed to 14.5" and have a Vortex or Phantom FH permanently attached.  I know ADCO and KKF do great work but I'd like to keep it local if possible.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of SE Wisconsin???

I can think of a couple people, but i don't have contact info for them off the bat. There is always shooters on 6mile in Racine. Also a buddy of mine knows a C2/3 guy that does that stuff too. I can get his contact info i'm sure.  Also try getting a hold of Tacticalblack, i'm not sure if thats how it's correctly spelled. he's in here everynow and than and i think he may do that kind of work, if not he'd know better than I who all around here could do it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Kenosha.  Let's say as far north as MKW and 2 hours west of I-94.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm in Kenosha.  Let's say as far north as MKW and 2 hours west of I-94.

Everyone I can think of is in that area. I'll make some calls, otherwise shooters number is 262-681-1040 they are on 6 mile just off of HWY 31. Take 31 north to 6 mile and make a left, can't miss it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
you should try and trade it on the EE instead of spending a bunch of $$$ for something that really doesn't make much of a difference.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, please explain that a little better, 'cause it just reads like someone telling me what to do.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
He probably means that it may be cheaper to buy a 14.5 barrel with the suppressor already installed.  Threading the barrel alone may run you $80, and when you add the cost of cutting the barrel down, recrowning, the supp., welding the supp.,  and recouping some money when selling your 16", you may find it better to just buy a new barrel.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK, please explain that a little better, 'cause it just reads like someone telling me what to do.

i'm just trying to save you money dude.  i paid $80+ to have a barrel threaded last year, i should have just sold it and bought a new one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:26:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
He probably means that it may be cheaper to buy a 14.5 barrel with the suppressor already installed.  Threading the barrel alone may run you $80, and when you add the cost of cutting the barrel down, recrowning, the supp., welding the supp.,  and recouping some money when selling your 16", you may find it better to just buy a new barrel.

Yup thats very true. The C2/3 guy I was talking about charges $80 just to do the threading. You may be better off just selling it. What type of barrel? is it an Hbar or a M4 profile? Whats the barrel twist? If you want to sell it, I got a buddy looking for a Hbar....

It's yer choice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Can we forget about what I was planning to do with a rifle I don't own yet?  I included that information so someone would know how much 'smithing ability I was looking for, is all, not to start a discussion on the relative merits of that particular course of action.  

I promise if and when I look to that, I'll come back and we can go over the whole thing in detail.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]
El Roto
I have never ran into anyone around the state that has any expertise in working on AR's other then maybe Highpower. Most gunsmiths are the Gander Mountain type that put scopes on Bolt action 30-06's. anything harder then that and they farm it out to someone else (out of state). Check out Precision Gun In Oshkosh. The have done some work for me in the past. Things like threading the bolt handle of my PSS and adding a Badger Tac Knob and installing Ghost ring sights on a Rem 870. The work was top notch and reasonable. it would be hard to beat ADCO though as to their work which prettty well specilizes in AR Barrels.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#11]
you don't own it yet?  even better.  have someone like ADCO or MSTN, CMMG, etc build it the way you want it.  i bet you'll save money.

i had my barrel threaded at by Lauer Weaponry, in chippewa falls.  they have some neat toys there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you, Harv!  You've done me a great service.  I hope to see you in January at whatever y'all call the sub-zero shoot you have each year.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thank you, Harv!  You've done me a great service.  I hope to see you in January at whatever y'all call the sub-zero shoot you have each year.

The Frozen Nutz Shoot! Haven't been to one myself yet either. Hope to make this years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top