Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 4:44:53 AM EDT
I've always thought that you HAD TO BE 21 to get a handgun, no matter what. Recently I heard that you had to be only 18 to get one from an individual, and 21 to get one from a dealer, but it varies from state to state. Is it legal here in WI?
If it is...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've always thought that you HAD TO BE 21 to get a handgun, no matter what. Recently I heard that you had to be only 18 to get one from an individual, and 21 to get one from a dealer, but it varies from state to state. Is it legal here in WI?
If it is...

Actually no you must be 21 to  own posses, carry, purchase a handgun in Wisconsin or pretty much anywhere else as its a federal law. You can how ever posses a handgun under the age of 21 for work if you are an armed guard or LEO. Or for hunting  as long as yer with an adult who is 21. I've heard this gone through with people at Shooters all the time. You do have to be 21 to own it buy it or possess it, with only a few exceptions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry Photoman, it is only 18 to poses (and therefore purchase from a private party, all other laws apply regarding eligibility to own, ie. criminal history).

I bought my first Ruger 9mm when I was 20 from a friend.  Later I used it as a duty weapon, but I was a civilian when I got it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going with nationwide on this one. You only have to be 18 to possess.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm going with nationwide on this one. You only have to be 18 to possess.

I'm gunna look this up. I know for a fact that unless for work related or whlie supervised you can not posses a handgun under the age of 21 in this state. Part of that is because you can;t legaly purchase one in this state unless yuou are 21. i;ve hashed this over with tons of people, so now let me see if I can find the info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
PM,

Respectfully, I disagree.

WI has a prohibition on pistols posessed by a minor (unsupervised).  That's the extent of the age restriction.

There is no WI law on the books prohibiting an adult from posession (other than the obvious convicted felon, crazy-house, while in a tavern, etc. stuff) of a pistol.  I just spent about an hour looking.

A licenced dealer may not sell a pistol to anyone under the age of 21.   Private transfers to a kid on his 18th birthday (again, felon/crazy person aside), are not prohibited by Federal or state law.

Carrying of a weapon for work-related (ie armed security) may be different, but posession alone is just fine.

By all means search for yourself, but I don't believe you'll find it.

-FMD
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top