Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 9:11:14 PM EDT
Is hunting with a suppressor legal in Wisconsin? Where can I document this info to print out?
Thanks in advance, guys!
Dave
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like it's legal. They seem to cover NFA weapons in the regulations, (machineguns, SBRs) but they don't mention suppressors. It might depend on what you're hunting but I doubt it.
Here's the link to the DNR website.
www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/HUNT/deer/
In the pdf file titled Deer Regulations, it covers rifles on pages 7 and 8.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Witch_Doctor!!! Anyone else with a link?
TIA,
Dave
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks Witch_Doctor!!! Anyone else with a link?
TIA,
Dave

Nope the link WD gave you will cover it. We've had a lot of talk about cans for hunting and all I can really say is that they are not spesificly forbidin to use in the regs book. And as such that means there is no law saying you can't use a can when hunting. If there ain't no law against it.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#4]
maybe call a NFA dealer or the DNR and ask.  FWIW, Lauer told me a few different times that it is legal to hunt with them in WI.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
maybe call a NFA dealer or the DNR and ask.  FWIW, Lauer told me a few different times that it is legal to hunt with them in WI.

Just from the stand point of there is no law against it, it is legal. I got a DNR guy on speed dial so to speak. I'll send him off an email right now and find out.

ETA: Email sent. Will update when I get something back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Photoman...will wait to here. Lauer's has also told me its not illegal.....that's where I bought the can from.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks Photoman...will wait to here. Lauer's has also told me its not illegal.....that's where I bought the can from.

what can did you get?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Inferno,
I got a Walther P22 with the Predator.  Also had a Contender carbine barrel threaded and got a Ciener kit for my preban so I can scew it on there.
Cheers,
Dave
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok guys heard back from the DNR

I was asked to reply to your question. While we do not have any specific law against hunting with a suppressed firearm, it is a Felony to possess a "firearm silencer" under s. 941.298, Wis. Stats.

941.298 Firearm silencers.
(1) In this section, "firearm silencer" means any device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating such a device, and any part intended only for use in that assembly or fabrication.

(2) Whoever sells, delivers or possesses a firearm silencer is guilty of a Class H felony.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to sales or deliveries of firearm silencers to or possession of firearm silencers by any of the following:
(a)  Any peace officer who is acting in compliance with the written policies of the officer's department or agency.  This paragraph does not apply to any officer whose department or agency does not have such a policy.
(b)  Any armed forces or national guard personnel, while in the line of duty.
(c)  Any person who has complied with the licensing and registration requirements under 26 USC 5801 to 5872.

P Thomas H. Van Haren
Conservation Warden / NR Policy Officer
Bureau of Law Enforcement
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
(() phone:      (608) 266-3244

So the answer to this is it's NOT illegal to hunt with a supressor.

Thats stuff I highlighted in blue is actually pointless because of the stuff highlighted in yellow.

Edited to add name .
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Photoman,
Thanks for your research!
Cheers,
Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top