Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 12:54:36 PM EDT
Hi guys.  

Right now I live in Illinois but I'm looking to "defect" to somewhere just across the border (Lake Geneva, Kenosha, etc...)

Anyway, I know you don't have concealed carry, but what are the state gun laws like there?  I realize just about anything is better than Illinois, but I was curious about the cool things like suppressors, SBR, and all that other stuff that's illegal in Illinois.

Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
it's all legal here except CCW.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#2]
NFA is county to county. Other than that everything but CCW.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
And you can burn your FOID card.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#4]
As much as I hate to say it, you might wanna move to IN, if you're just looking for a close, gun-friendly state.

Oh, and plan on paying about 10% extra for everything here (taxes).

Other than that, were glad to accept former flat-landers!

You might wanna come up next time we have a WI shoot.  Very cool folks up here!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As much as I hate to say it, you might wanna move to IN, if you're just looking for a close, gun-friendly state.

Oh, and plan on paying about 10% extra for everything here (taxes).

Other than that, were glad to accept former flat-landers! we only accept cub fans and non bear fans

You might wanna come up next time we have a WI shoot.  Very cool folks up here!

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than that, were glad to accept former flat-landers! we only accept cub fans and non bear fans

Uh-oh, there might be a problem.  All's well on the cubs front, but how can anyone not like Da Bears?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh-oh, there might be a problem.  All's well on the cubs front, but how can anyone not like Da Bears?

I like bear, in stew.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...how can anyone not like Da Bears?

Okay, on any given Sunday afternoon during the season, there's a curfew.  All channels on both TV and radio will default to whatever station the Packers are playing on.

You will be assimilated.

We are borg Packer-backers.

You must comply.

-FMD

PS:  The first paragraph is not technically true, but you'd never know the difference.  Besides, the Bears suck!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:10:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Wisconsin is an okay place  for an IL refugee.

We missed our CCW by a fuzz this last time, and it WILL happen sooner or later.
We have the power to force the issue at any time.
One or two personell changes in the state gov is all it needs.

That aside, folks aren't panicky on the subject of arms like they are in IL.
They don't card you at the range or at the ammo counter.
It gets rung up as if it were chewing gum.
If you sell a gun to your buddy there's no need to keep paperwork on him for a decade.

Most folks have guns or are only 1 step removed from sportsmen, so they're nearly immune to antigun propaganda.
They aren't consumed by arms ala rootin-tootin-texas either.
I'd say that there is a practical, utilitarian attitude in general.

So come on up, we can open a new public works from your property taxes alone.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I moved from Illinois to Wisconsin about a year ago and I'm glad that I made the move! Nice people, less traffic, reasonable housing cost, lower sales tax and lots of Bear fans!!! I like Wisconsin!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info, guys.  I looked an apartment in Twin Lakes, but I'm not sure if I'll be moving up there or not.  

Right now my girlfriend wants to stay in Illinois until she finishes school, so it's really looking like I might be staying in Illinois a little bit longer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info, guys.  I looked an apartment in Twin Lakes, but I'm not sure if I'll be moving up there or not.  

Right now my girlfriend wants to stay in Illinois until she finishes school, so it's really looking like I might be staying in Illinois a little bit longer.

Twin Lakes is kinda my neck of the woods.  I grew up in Wilmot (where my parents still live), now I live in Kensoha, but would prefer to move outside the city in the future.

One thing about Twin Lakes is that it is a 'tourist town', meaning that all the local stores will jack up their prices ~20% or so during the summer.  You may want to do your grocery shopping somewhere else.  Other than that, it's a nice place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top