Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/25/2004 7:41:50 AM EDT
Hey all,
Sully just got back from Vegas, and got in touch with me about the WI training idea. He says that, with ten students, it's be $150 for a two day course.

The problem right now is finding a local place. I've been trying to arrange the use of a private facility near Madison, but the guy is tap dancing around giving me an answer. Does anyone know of a suitable place? Or... think we could get a road trip together to head up to Sully's area and do it in Princeton MN?

My handgunning class with DE convinced me that these guys are worth training under. a hundered and fifty bucks for two days is a hell of a deal.

Intrest? Gonna need a tentetave head count to see if its worth pursuing at all, will look for a harder head count with real dates once we know if this is feasable at all.

Update: Class dates of 10/16 and 10/17 have been set, and it's looking like the class will be held on private land near Eau Claire. We need at least 10 students to make this fly.  If we make this work, it could open the door for regular, quality training in WI. Who else is in?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I am interested for sure. Either way.
Just depends on the time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's within a couple hours driving distance of Kenosha I'd be interested. Doesn't matter if it's during the week, I have plenty of vacation time saved.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Tommytrauma,
What are the range requirements?
I would consider hosting a class if my setup meets the bill.
BulletcatchR

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tommytrauma,
What are the range requirements?
I would consider hosting a class if my setup meets the bill.
BulletcatchR

Will check with Sully for further, but I saw their setup during a pistol class last year. It was pretty basic, a good berm or backstop and target stands. I'm sure we could come up with a few tables and whatever else is required. Whereabouts is your place?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagged.  I am in if it isn't too far.  I am also on vacation 8/28 through 9/12.  However, 9/4 through 9/6 I will be out camping and in no condition to shoot or drive.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Tommy,
    I'm interested. I asume it's a beginner carbine/rifle class. Been wanting to take classes earlier in Minnesota but didn't fit my work schedule. 4weelin
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Also interested, although I'd like a firm date (wouldn't we all).
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested, depending on the date and I can only do it if the Princeton location is chosen. I may be able to sneak away from ork much much easier! Is the cost set at $150 for sure right now?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Like a lot of others, I'm in, pending dates.  Is this a rifle class or pistol?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Let me know date times and that stuff and my arm could be easily twisted. I got a lot comming up in the next three months with deer season and obligations at the club, trying to get the ok for some things down here..... lots on the plate so let me know when you got a date and location and all that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's the sitrep so far.

Personally,I would rather go to a "range" range for a class.

But,
The HH6 is cool with training here.I shoot all the time and love it when friends show up to shoot.I tried most of the shooting scenarios from the Maryland AR15 site and like that kind of friendly lightly structured get-together.I carry my rifle around with me everywhere and have steel 'littered' thruout my valleys and fields.
The land is about an hour due West of Madison.There is a County Campground w/showers and a swimming hole 5 minutes away and a couple of B&Bs in the area.

I have a 25M and 50M zero range in my back yard,and a cut right past it where I can run and shoot pistol.
Everything I've set up so far is static,,,biathlon type ranges.I have about a mile and a half loop thru my valleys with several stages/shooting lanes.For the most part I practice rimfire/conversion but when the Yang is up I'll run thru with the FAL HB,hehehe.

I have 25 50 100 yard steels that I can shoot from my deck.

I have a valley in my hayfield that's good for Close tacticswhere I have several plywood 'barricades' that I can move and setup how I want to shoot around,over,under,etc.And when the hay is mowed it's smooth enough to train out of a  'burban or pickup.

My place is WILD.I quit fighting Mother nature years ago,fixing culverts,mowing trails,etc.when I'm just as happy(or more) beating brush than driving the jeep around...I used to be able to get a mountain bike thru but it's even alittle rough for that now.I had planned on doing some selective logging this winter and having my 'logging' road(also the shooting loop)improved anyway,the only hitch would be finding a dozer operator locally that isn't booked and behind.I will ask my neighbors next 'union' meeting.

TT is getting the distances necessary for carbine class.The next step I would suggest is an informal meeting/shoot? here to look over this place.This is where someone who's been around, ,,been to some classes of different 'styles' would really help.I don't want to bring people,especially an instructor here if it's gonna be sh!tty or dangerous.If things work out logistically,then we could go from there.

Lastly and leastly I'm not in it for business or money,I want to get some training in.Tattoo opened his place for Sept. Arfcom shoot and wants to do it again.Like I said  b4 I'm partial to lightly structured shooting,,,drills and such that can develop  and change along with the crowds input.If that's something that I can get enough folks interested in I'd do that in a heartbeat cause we don't need no stinkin' facilities for that.

BulletcatchR

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
BulletcatchR where are you located?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here's the sitrep so far.

Personally,I would rather go to a "range" range for a class.

But,
The HH6 is cool with training here.I shoot all the time and love it when friends show up to shoot.I tried most of the shooting scenarios from the Maryland AR15 site and like that kind of friendly lightly structured get-together.I carry my rifle around with me everywhere and have steel 'littered' thruout my valleys and fields.
The land is about an hour due West of Madison.There is a County Campground w/showers and a swimming hole 5 minutes away and a couple of B&Bs in the area.

I have a 25M and 50M zero range in my back yard,and a cut right past it where I can run and shoot pistol.
Everything I've set up so far is static,,,biathlon type ranges.I have about a mile and a half loop thru my valleys with several stages/shooting lanes.For the most part I practice rimfire/conversion but when the Yang is up I'll run thru with the FAL HB,hehehe.

I have 25 50 100 yard steels that I can shoot from my deck.

I have a valley in my hayfield that's good for Close tacticswhere I have several plywood 'barricades' that I can move and setup how I want to shoot around,over,under,etc.And when the hay is mowed it's smooth enough to train out of a  'burban or pickup.

My place is WILD.I quit fighting Mother nature years ago,fixing culverts,mowing trails,etc.when I'm just as happy(or more) beating brush than driving the jeep around...I used to be able to get a mountain bike thru but it's even alittle rough for that now.I had planned on doing some selective logging this winter and having my 'logging' road(also the shooting loop)improved anyway,the only hitch would be finding a dozer operator locally that isn't booked and behind.I will ask my neighbors next 'union' meeting.

TT is getting the distances necessary for carbine class.The next step I would suggest is an informal meeting/shoot? here to look over this place.This is where someone who's been around, ,,been to some classes of different 'styles' would really help.I don't want to bring people,especially an instructor here if it's gonna be sh!tty or dangerous.If things work out logistically,then we could go from there.

Lastly and leastly I'm not in it for business or money,I want to get some training in.Tattoo opened his place for Sept. Arfcom shoot and wants to do it again.Like I said  b4 I'm partial to lightly structured shooting,,,drills and such that can develop  and change along with the crowds input.If that's something that I can get enough folks interested in I'd do that in a heartbeat cause we don't need no stinkin' facilities for that.

BulletcatchR

BC,
I sent a email to sully with a link to this thread, and also left a voice mail. (I suspect he has a spam filter that doesn't like my email or something. Haven't had a lot of luck with it in the past.)

I'd love to get a group together for skill development. Would be more than happy to put some work in on your land to that end. I'll give you a call and see when we can meet up out there.
tt.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#14]
If they've got a nice range setup it would be better to go there I think.
I can probably get time during the week or weekend.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If they've got a nice range setup it would be better to go there I think.
I can probably get time during the week or weekend.

Their range is pretty spartan. Basically a berm and some target stands. Friggin mosquitos are unbelievable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I would be interested as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Sully,
Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately 12 Sept is a NoGo at my `20 as my inlaws will be camping here and picking raspberries.I would LOVEan excuse to go somewhere  to train tho.

If nothing  pans out for Sept  let's get on the 'stick' for October. That's more of the timeline I was thinking of anyway,as I pretty have my weekends covered a month ahead.

If someone can come up with a spot Sept 12 I'm in,if nothing else pans out for Oct. I'll host pending Sully's OK of the site.

BulletcatchR
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
October works for me as well. 9/11-12 would be bad. October work for others?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
The first full weekend of the month is always bad for me, gotta play Nasty G.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:15:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
October works for me as well. 9/11-12 would be bad. October work for others?

When in oct?

ETA: need to know because I'd have to start trying to get off like now because of a crap load of changes here at work.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#22]
As of right now, I can make:

9/4-5
9/18-19
10/9-10
10/16-17 (maybe)

Otherwise, it'll be November before I get some time.

-FMD
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Off topic IM to Tommytrauma.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Off topic IM to Tommytrauma.

I was just about to post the same thing(but the IM i sent is on topic)
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#25]
So what is the consensus as to what the course will cover?? Are we talking Pistol or Carbine?.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So what is the consensus as to what the course will cover?? Are we talking Pistol or Carbine?.

Doh! Gues i kinda glossed over that part. At this point, we're talking carbine, being AR15.com and all. Sully's suggested a two day course. However, if this works out well, I wouldn't be at all adverse to the idea of putting a pistol course together. I took a pistol course from Defensive Edge last year, and the certificate was all I needed for both my FL and MN CCW permit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep in mind the last weekend of Oct is the T season for gun deer for those with those zones. Bulletcatchr, how far from Eau Claire are you? I'm still 2 hours north of Eau Claire.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll have to check my schedule.  I am going to Eau Claire for the next couple days, returning Wednesday night.  Will post my sked then.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Fastest shot from Euclaire would be a route to  Lavalle then  South another 25-30 miles.I can usually make it  to Tomah from my place in an hour driving 'leisurely" up 58.HWY 131,71.33 was sweet when I had a motorbike.I'm in zone 70 herd reduction zone,tho I wouldn't worry about hunters in my area,it's well posted.

Where I would setup the range will be in a valley that is 100'+ deep with me owning the ridgetop fields and the nearest neighbors 1/2+ mile away over another ridge.

Stan

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Since this may be potentialy on private property I was wondering what are the chances we could work in something on low light/ use of weapons lights stuff. Seeing that most shooting occure in low light, and a home defense situation will most likly occure in a dark house at night, it would be cool to get a little schooling in the use of lights on a defensive weapon. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Not a problem AFAIC.As long as the shooting started at dusk at went into the night,otherwise I think It'd be rude(aside from the fact my neighbors would call and if I didn't answer they probably would come running.I'd be miffed if they didn't,,,they're good folk and look out for me,pull me out from the ditches...).

Stan
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I have another option.  My buddy in Eau Claire would probably be willing to host the class at his farm if we will put him and his son through the class.  He has a 50 acre hollow right behind the farm (180 acres total), shooting is safe in three directions, no neighbors, we already have some targets in various locations, and it wouldn't be a big deal to add more to accomodate everyone.  Our current firing line is in a horse pasture and we have targets set at 250, 300, 400, and 500 yards, plus a CQB area in a sand pit.  He is active duty Army and just returned from Iraq so I am sure he could probably add a little bit to the class in addition to being familiar with organized weapons instruction.  The location is about 7 miles south of Eau Claire, or about an hour north of Fort McCoy.  What do you cats think?    
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#33]
So do we got a date yet. If I'm going to make it to this thing, which I really want to do because I need to get some training, I need dates so I can get off work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Sound WAAY easier than and longer shooting than I have.I'm all IN.

ANY date after 9/15 is GTG for me.

Stan
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Email out to Sully re dates. Hopefully, he'll be joining us here again shortly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Email out to Sully re dates. Hopefully, he'll be joining us here again shortly.

Expect something from me email wise in the next couple days.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I spoke with my buddy tonight.  We can set up anything from a straight 100 yard range, all the way up to 200-300 yard target points, alternate target points in different directions, and we also talked about setting up a patrol scenario with E-types placed along the route.  A night fire section would be doable as well.  I need three things:

1.  A course outline and/or range requirements.  The above is what we can set up, but we will have to clear brush and build/set targets in advance.

2.  Firm dates from everyone.  My friend needs to work around his wife's schedule.  It sounds like Oct 16 and 17 if we want Sully.  It would be nice if we can all do this.

3.  A Firm head count so we know how many targets at each station we will need.

Lets get a discussion going about the head count.  If somebody could email me with a course/range outline it would be cool.  gmccormi, at, charter dot net.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I spoke with my buddy tonight.  We can set up anything from a straight 100 yard range, all the way up to 200-300 yard target points, alternate target points in different directions, and we also talked about setting up a patrol scenario with E-types placed along the route.  A night fire section would be doable as well.  I need three things:

1.  A course outline and/or range requirements.  The above is what we can set up, but we will have to clear brush and build/set targets in advance.

2.  Firm dates from everyone.  My friend needs to work around his wife's schedule.  It sounds like Oct 16 and 17 if we want Sully.  It would be nice if we can all do this.

3.  A Firm head count so we know how many targets at each station we will need.

Lets get a discussion going about the head count.  If somebody could email me with a course/range outline it would be cool.  gmccormi, at, charter dot net.

I'm in, for any date on October. Sully should be getting back to the thread soon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm IN.

Stan
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Sully,  Oct. 16-17 should work for me. 4weelin
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm in

Sounds like a blast and Eau Claire works great for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Keep me posted on the dates, I would love to get in on this

Batch114
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#44]
16-17 looks like a possibility! I love the idea of it being in Eau Claire, as that's a good central location two hours from me right now, and I have family I can stay with. We have an idea of the cost yet and ammunition requirements? I need to budget...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd like to go!!!!!!!!!
Dave
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:49:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm in for the weekend of the 16th. I was picturing a carbine class, but would be up for a combined course as well. Sully, would a combined course cover the requiremetns for folk wanting a MN CCW?

Sounds like TheKill's setup will be the best place for the course.

FIrm head count; Who else is in?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I may not be able to do it. Got a shoot in Oct. and not sure of the exact date yet, I'm waiting to hear back from somone on it. I'll still put in the time off request today and just hope to be able to get it off not sure thopugh as we goty a lot of vacations comming up over the next two months. Ya know work is really starting to kill my life outside of work
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I didn't vote in the poll.I'm GTG for either option.

Stan
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I went for the carbine course. MO is that we would do better to concentrate on one or the other and do the other next time. I'm in either way though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top