Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2003 6:05:48 PM EDT
What a shame that there is not enough interest to organize and pressure a club to setup a pop-up silhouette rifle range in WI. You would think in a State with 700,000 deer hunters there would be some interest in center-fire shooting.

Clubs cater to the "scatter gunners". Their patronage is more profitable, and they are a heck of a lot more outspoken about what they want. There's rabbit runs, duck towers, trap, skeet, etc.

Name one WI range in a populated area of the State, not like Ashland County, with varying distance pop-up silhouettes. Or with any anything beyond a rickety benchrest and a card table chair with a bent leg and wooden paper-target racks so shot up they can barely stand up.

Range owners only listen to an organized group of customers. The bigger the group the more they listen. I'm new to the sport and I don't even belong to a club (my fault). I guess we're all alike... Loners.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to shoot at several WI ranges.
Winnebago Eastside Conservation, Kiel Fish & Game, Hilbert Area Range (forget the name), etc.
The surrrounding ones were mostly for Trap League.

The only AR I ever saw on the rifle range was my father's SP1 that I brought.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
we all live too far apart.  the range up here in superior is nice.  it's going to be chaos until November.  right now i prefer to go shoot in the woods rather than deal with idiots and their shooting advice, etc.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Our range will be crazy till deer season as well. We have a lot of stuff we do, but nothing realy other than highpower and a couple cowboy matches for centerfire rifle stuff. Something is being done about it though, but some things take time. I also think there is to much distance between eveyone to be able to get some things going.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My problem is that anything that's open to the public is too far away...

Milwaukee has a few pistol ranges, but NO rifle ranges... Ditto for Waukesha, IIRC (Boone doesn't count... It's a private club)...

It would be nice if someone turned an old abandoned factory or a shut down small strip mall (any building 110yds or so in length on one side would do) into an indoor range... But I don't think anyone will invest that kind of money... It might make for good business, (only rifle range in Milw), if not for the startup costs and the politics (convincing gun-phobic liberal aldermen to approve a building/use permit)...

Oh well, I'm gonna be getting a CZ .22LR upper and carry-handle so I can shoot my AR at the pistol range...
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey guys, you could not be more wrong.  There are more AR matches and practical rifle matches in southern WI than most other states. If you don't join an active club or support the State NRA Association you will never experience all the shooting WI has to offer. As an example, from May thru Sept (5 months) I had 3 weekends where I did NOT shoot. I believe I met some of you at a fam fire in May at Boone, and offered to help anyone get a practical program going at their club. Never got a phone call.

Take this criticism constructively gang, but only Texas and Florida have more ACTIVE ranges.

Varying distance popups are $$$ and use up a lot of range area if dug in, but believe it or not you WILL see this available in the near future.

Feel free to IM me, but be prepared to join and participate.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Dave A, I feel your pain!!
I tried Mcmillers near Old World Wisconsin.
I got the feeling that evil black rifles are not welcome. I also had an AK with me so that probably did not help.  There was a guy shooting an 50 Cal bolt action with scope shooting on the 100 yard range!!! The rangemaster was yelling at everyone.What a zoo.
It could be a nice place but it is state run.
Does anyone know a decent place to shoot rifles that is fairly close to Milwaukee??
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Put me down for any of the "shoots" you describe. I was at the Boone get-together.  Things will getting hectic at the ranges from now on with deer hunting coming up.

What club in southeast WI do you recommend? Is a sponsor needed? What club has the busiest AR group?

My address is [email protected] and I'm located in Washington County behind Holy Hill. I'm retired so time is not a factor.

What ever happened to Camp McCoy?  Used to be plenty of shooting ranges back in the '60's?  And there was a National Guard range down by Racine, too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Put me down for any of the "shoots" you describe. I was at the Boone get-together.  Things will getting hectic at the ranges from now on with deer hunting coming up.

What club in southeast WI do you recommend? Is a sponsor needed? What club has the busiest AR group?

My address is [email protected] and I'm located in Washington County behind Holy Hill. I'm retired so time is not a factor.

What ever happened to Camp McCoy?  Used to be plenty of shooting ranges back in the '60's?  And there was a National Guard range down by Racine, too.

We still have a range here in Racine. Not really anything as far as AR shoots unless you shoot HP, I want to change that though. And I'm in the early, and i do mean early stages of trying to.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me know if you come up with anything...

Racine isn't that far for an event, but for week-to-week shooting, I'm stuck with .22LR and pistols...
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Dave, anything we end up doing will be posted so you guys know. We have our clubs deer site comming up so I will have plenty of opertunity to talk to some of the other guys and see what is up for sure.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
ballistik, I'm sending you an IM.

-Anthony
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I go to McMiller near Eagle WI. off 67.
If you go during the week and NOT on the weekend the place is empty. In the 6-7 years that I have been going to McMiller I have never even seen a rangemaster working.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi guys, couldn't get on this for the last week or so....anyway I think the best thing is for us to meet for a few beers and go over just what it is we want. This weekend for example is the sniper match on sat and a "hunter" rifle match, both at Racine County Line Range. How about picking an afternoon in the next few weeks and putting something together? It really is easy if everyone chips in.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hi guys, couldn't get on this for the last week or so....anyway I think the best thing is for us to meet for a few beers and go over just what it is we want. This weekend for example is the sniper match on sat and a "hunter" rifle match, both at Racine County Line Range. How about picking an afternoon in the next few weeks and putting something together? It really is easy if everyone chips in.

Anything durring the week or on sunday after 3pm is good for me I have a meeting Saturday at 4:30 up in west alice and will be stuck till sometime after 9pm so saterday is no good for me. But any other day this week, after 3pm is cool.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I will be at Racine range from 0700 to 1400 shooting the match if anyone wants to discuss holding or attending AR matches Sat 10/11.
I am starting to believe the original thread though, there are plenty of AR matches and ranges, but only Photoman and Maud Id have responded. Lack of interest from the AR15.com group seems accurate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#16]
What time Sat. I might be able to push this meeting back to later in the evening. Otherwise i planned on being at the club sunday after work to do some work with the hunting rifles.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#17]
That Racine range sounds like it has some interesting activities...

Do they have a pistol range? How much per shoot, and do they have an annual rate?

I'm getting a Savage 10FP to replace my K98 as the 'long range gun', and a place to shoot the AR would also be nice...

Any further info???
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lack of interest from the AR15.com group seems accurate.

Try posting links back here from GD...

General Discussion is the place to be since active topics went down for non-members... If it's not in GD, it may very well get ignored...

Not many people check hometown in/of itself...
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Do they have a pistol range? How much per shoot, and do they have an annual rate?

I'm getting a Savage 10FP to replace my K98 as the 'long range gun', and a place to shoot the AR would also be nice...

Any further info???

Dave clear some room in your IM box. I can answer some of yer questions. Are you In the Racine area?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any further info???

Dave clear some room in your IM box. I can answer some of yer questions. Are you In the Racine area?

Milwaukee

IM Box opened...
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Dave- I'm trying to figure out when my .308 will show up. I hope the end of this week begining of next. Anyway I should have the 30th and 31st off if you want to meet up one of those days- friday the 30th might be the best. let me know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top