Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2022 2:56:39 PM EDT
Do any counties outside of those hippy infestations even try to enforce the possession ban? Secondary question, are there any Sheriffs who refuse to enforce it? (I might be moving for work, but I can choose anywhere in CO). I have a ton of 30rnd pmags, and I can't even find if as a prior owner I'd even be subject to being heckled by any LE?

Thanks for any knowledge. EDIT: I acknowledge I'm not looking/asking for legal advice. I'm asking for anecdotal experiences. Feel free to PM me if no one wants it on a public board (understandable).
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do any counties outside of those hippy infestations even try to enforce the possession ban? Secondary question, are there any Sheriffs who refuse to enforce it? (I might be moving for work, but I can choose anywhere in CO). I have a ton of 30rnd pmags, and I can't even find if as a prior owner I'd even be subject to being heckled by any LE?

Thanks for any knowledge. EDIT: I acknowledge I'm not looking/asking for legal advice. I'm asking for anecdotal experiences. Feel free to PM me if no one wants it on a public board (understandable).
View Quote
Colorado Springs is El Paso County. Only like 2-3 sheriffs "enforce" it, and El Paso isn't one.

At most, you would see it as a follow on charge with other crimes.

The ban is not really pure-possession (grandfathering clause), but purchase/possession after 1 July 2013... technically. ...technically.

People really overthink this. There's no magazine gestapo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Counties are not the same as cities

The mag ban is a joke.

OP is trolling.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to keep a list but there are at least 20 municipalities that have charged people with mag violations.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Counties are not the same as cities

The mag ban is a joke.

OP is trolling.
View Quote

I'm not trolling. It's a simple question, did you understand what I meant? Yeah, you did.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Look up...
View Quote

Yes, I saw that. I'm not asking whether or not people do or don't choose to follow the legislation, or even what opinions on it are. I'm specifically asking about anecdotal experiences of whether or not LE actually enforces said legislature. It's a totally different subject to what the mod was spec'ing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, I saw that. I'm not asking whether or not people do or don't choose to follow the legislation, or even what opinions on it are. I'm specifically asking about anecdotal experiences of whether or not LE actually enforces said legislature. It's a totally different subject to what the mod was spec'ing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look up...

I pointed it out as the answer to your confusion about the legality of your existing PMAGs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I pointed it out as the answer to your confusion about the legality of your existing PMAGs.
View Quote

Zero questions about the legality of it. Only questions were about enforcement of it. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Zero questions about the legality of it. Only questions were about enforcement of it. Thanks though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a ton of 30rnd pmags, and I can't even find if as a prior owner I'd even be subject to being heckled by any LE?

I interpreted "subject to being heckled" as meaning you didn't understand the conditions under which your possession in Colorado would be legal, since of course anyone is subject to being heckled at any time by anyone regardless of the legality.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to keep a list but there are at least 20 municipalities that have charged people with mag violations.
View Quote

Do you recall which the municipalities were?
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every instance I remember seeing someone being charged with a magazine violation was arrested for something else and they tack it on to make the punishment more harsh.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I interpreted "subject to being heckled" as meaning you didn't understand the conditions under which your possession in Colorado would be legal, since of course anyone is subject to being heckled at any time by anyone regardless of the legality.
View Quote

Ok fair enough, not my meaning, but either way, I appreciate the people who responded here or via message.

I guess I've seen/heard of LE "heckling" people for all sorts of stuff, illegal or legal (frequently making things up just to try and bait people), and at the same token, on directives from local Sheriffs and Chiefs, absolutely refusing to enforce laws they see as inappropriate or unConstitutional. So, that's where my question was coming from.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you recall which the municipalities were?
View Quote

Pretty much all over the state. Larimer and weld county were absent but cities in those counties including Greeley and loveland. At one time there were lists and records posted here. If you dig in archive you'll come up with them.

I might be thinking of this one

https://www.ar-15.co/threads/161312-KRDO-news-story-on-magazine-ban-with-info-on-arrests?highlight=Magazine+ban+enforcement
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Every instance I remember seeing someone being charged with a magazine violation was arrested for something else and they tack it on to make the punishment more harsh.
View Quote

Slippery slopes are just that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
what if i purchased those preban mags whilst living in another state, then moved to CO?

still illegal to possess in CO?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
what if i purchased those preban mags whilst living in another state, then moved to CO?

still illegal to possess in CO?
View Quote

AFAIK it doesn't state the mags have to be purchased in CO. Just that they were owned before July 2013.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The ban was a long play in my opinion.

It was never meant to get mags off the street overnight. It was intended to eventually make the concept of gun ownership unappealing to the masses/onerous to accomplish.

Every day farther removed from the grandfather date we get, the percentage of guns being bought that didn’t exist before the ban goes higher.

Take the P320 for instance. There is no circumstance where it’s legal to possess a high capacity magazine for that gun in this state because they didn’t exist before the ban.

When they *do* start enforcing it (and they will) they will target the low hanging fruit first.

How many news stories about stings at gun ranges do you think it will take before your average weekend gun guy is too afraid to take his mags out in public?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The ban was a long play in my opinion.

It was never meant to get mags off the street overnight. It was intended to eventually make the concept of gun ownership unappealing to the masses/onerous to accomplish.

Every day farther removed from the grandfather date we get, the percentage of guns being bought that didn’t exist before the ban goes higher.

Take the P320 for instance. There is no circumstance where it’s legal to possess a high capacity magazine for that gun in this state because they didn’t exist before the ban.

When they *do* start enforcing it (and they will) they will target the low hanging fruit first.

How many news stories about stings at gun ranges do you think it will take before your average weekend gun guy is too afraid to take his mags out in public?
View Quote

Just an fyi, the sig p250 came out in 2007 and those magazines also fit in the p320.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in douglas county and I have, as a civilian, shot at an LE range with a AR pistol that is braced and had 30 round mags.  No one cared, including the federal law enforcement who I was there with.  Do with that info what you will.  

What will get you pinched is committing a crime with one.  Then it will be an add on charge.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I take exception to the Springs/El Paso County being included in the OP's thread.  The county sheriff has made it clear that he will not enforce any restriction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top