Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2022 10:49:47 PM EDT
This will be an introduction to navigating with a compass, protractor and map.  This was a significant portion of the Warfighter Challenge, and the goal is to get individuals comfortable with navigating using only a compass and protractor.

There will be a refresher and basic introduction beforehand.

Location and Time
Saturday April 30th Starting at 14:00.

Google Maps coordinates 39.3669785, -105.2461592

Required Equipment
-Lensatic or orienting style compass
-1:25 Map Protractor
-Map Pens
-Map Will be provided

Highly recommend studying beforehand, and below are the resources I used prior to the WFC.

https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/mgrs/quick_guide

https://randallsadventure.com/sites/default/files/rat-sar-land-nav.pdf

Now if you show up totally green and don’t know how to read coordinates or find points on a map can you still succeed?

Maybe, but it’ll be easier if you have a basic understanding of the concepts.

If you would like to attend please RSVP beforehand so we can have a map for you.
Email ([email protected]) ([email protected]) IM myself or Dirty8404 or responding to this thread will suffice.

Let me know if you would like to attend or have any questions.

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Will there be any night points?
How long will the longest leg be?
Ruck/rifle or Hollywood?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will there be any night points?
How long will the longest leg be?
Ruck/rifle or Hollywood?
View Quote

No night points.

Longest leg, and I'm probably exaggerating it will be half a mile between points.

When I set up the course and stayed with the other folks while they found their points I hiked 18 miles in one day.

I'd plan for 1/3 of that at the very worst.

No rifles at this one, it's a pretty (comparatively) populated area.

Beyond that there is no planned ruck, BUT if you would like to for your hike count I'm 100% certain we can make it happen, just have a 45 lb pack.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Starts at 1400 and goes until? If I were to drive over, just trying to plan. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Starts at 1400 and goes until? If I were to drive over, just trying to plan. Thanks.
View Quote

Yep come and go as you please.

Dirty8404 may have done his a bit quicker but I think we were all finished by 1800.

I camped out for two nights and left Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a little over 30 hours to go!  We will have extra maps, protactors and points set if you'd like to attend but haven't RSVP'd.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top