Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2022 11:07:11 AM EDT
Just by my anecdotal evidence, it appears that more and more Coloradoans are declining to renew their vehicle registration on time. Recently while stopped at a stoplight I saw the 3 closest vehicles were all expired.

I can't help but think it's directly related to the highest registration fees in the USA.

For my recent truck purchase, my registration was $1100

That's almost double what it would cost in Sunnyvale, CA ($656)

Colorado also this year is requiring that people buy new plates. So I have to pay again to have my veteran plates, and am forced to get a new license plate number.

THANKS HICKENLOOPER.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't suppose you're 50% or more disabled?  That would get you one set of free plates.  Some other statuses/awards would qualify you for a free set too.  Full list:

https://dmv.colorado.gov/license-plates-military
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't suppose you're 50% or more disabled?  That would get you one set of free plates.  Some other statuses/awards would qualify you for a free set too.  Full list:

https://dmv.colorado.gov/license-plates-military
View Quote

I am 0% disabled.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm riding around with expired dealer tags.  I moved up here from Texas a few years ago, and in Texas the most I've ever paid for tags was $96.  I thought they were kidding when they told me it was $1200 up here.  Insane.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm riding around with expired dealer tags.  I moved up here from Texas a few years ago, and in Texas the most I've ever paid for tags was $96.  I thought they were kidding when they told me it was $1200 up here.  Insane.
View Quote

Yes, ours is very expensive for sure. Our property taxes are cheap though.

It should be cheaper now, but you may own some back fees since you've been riding dirty.

You can use this to estimate:
https://mydmv.colorado.gov/?Link=FeeEstimator

Since you are from out of state they may make you get a VIN verification and a weight slip from a place with a large scale such as a landscaping company.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It should be cheaper now, but you may own some back fees since you've been riding dirty.

Since you are from out of state they may make you get a VIN verification and a weight slip from a place with a large scale such as a landscaping company.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The VIN verification is a guaranteed yes. DMV won't title or register an out-of-state vehicle without one.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I've never heard of a weight slip for passenger cars, light trucks, or motorcycles.

Don't forget emissions. They may waive the actual test but DMV isn't going to let that $24.25 get past them.

I think part of the reason for so many expired tags is that COVID closed the county clerks' offices for six months and a lot of people just didn't bother to catch up. And the fines for that go to the state no matter who writes the ticket, so even Morrison PD doesn't care that much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not saying it's impossible but I've never heard of a weight slip for passenger cars, light trucks, or motorcycles.

View Quote

My local DMV wouldn't register my 2022 Ram 1500 without a weight slip. I waited in line for 45 minutes only to be turned away "come back with a weight slip". It was purchased in Nebraska.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I also have never heard of a weight slip.  Weird.

I drove for 9 months on expired tags during Covid.  Even had a cop or two behind me on the road, nobody cared during Covid.  Heck - my temp tags weren't even displayed, just the dealer logo plate.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My local DMV wouldn't register my 2022 Ram 1500 without a weight slip. I waited in line for 45 minutes only to be turned away "come back with a weight slip". It was purchased in Nebraska.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be dipped. I've never heard of that before. Were there some kind of truck plates or weird weight designation on the old title?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I only "care" because now I feel fooling for ponying up the cash. I wonder if this can somehow spark change. The fees are out of control.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I actually bought this truck up here, so hopefully none of the weight slip and emissions mess.  I just got a ticket for my tags this last weekend, fine is $100.  I'm not even mad about that.  I figure I've got 11 more tickets to go before it's worth it to get my tags.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll be dipped. I've never heard of that before. Were there some kind of truck plates or weird weight designation on the old title?
View Quote

2 governors ago enacted another tax on pickups to allow them to steal more money for bridges.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
If it gets too expensive, I'm getting an address in New Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Saw a temp tag just a couple of days ago that expired in December 2020!  So, 2 years of unpaid registration plus multiple late fines going into a third year (I know there's a max on the fines, but I wonder how it works when it crosses over multiple years).  I'm guessing that comes to over $3000.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Saw a temp tag just a couple of days ago that expired in December 2020!  So, 2 years of unpaid registration plus multiple late fines going into a third year (I know there's a max on the fines, but I wonder how it works when it crosses over multiple years).  I'm guessing that comes to over $3000.
View Quote

They will probably never register it. In too deep at this point, and most people can't afford to drop $3k on a meaningless tax.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If it gets too expensive, I'm getting an address in New Mexico.
View Quote
MT LLC.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
MT LLC.
View Quote

Man, I thought about that. Would have saved me a LOT of money.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They will probably never register it. In too deep at this point, and most people can't afford to drop $3k on a meaningless tax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Oh, that,  Mrs. DMV clerk? I titled the car but never really drove it on the street."

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine expired 7/20. I’m in Florida now but I’ll be heading back soon and have no plans on renewing. Fuck em YOLO MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mine expired 7/20. I’m in Florida now but I’ll be heading back soon and have no plans on renewing. Fuck em YOLO MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!
View Quote

Just wait to cut the tags off your mattress before you get back. Otherwise that's interstate transportation of mattresses with the tags cut off which is the Worst Thing Ever(tm).

I mean,  remember all the noise about Kyle Rittenhouse CROSSING STATE LINES?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whelp, I saw another temp tag today overdue from May 2020.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Whelp, I saw another temp tag today overdue from May 2020.
View Quote

It makes you feel really stupid if you paid to register your vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve let my tags go 2-3 years late and the most I have paid was $100 late fee and the normal fee.  Currently, I have two of my vehicles still registered in Oklahoma because it’s a lot cheaper than Colorado fees.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope.  I moved here right when covid kicked off.  I couldn't get plates for a while and then I just didn't get the tags b/c they weren't enforcing the law.  Whenever I finally did it, the penalty was a fraction of the actual annual cost.  I was much better off by not registering my out of state vehicle for over a year.  
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’ve let my tags go 2-3 years late and the most I have paid was $100 late fee and the normal fee.  Currently, I have two of my vehicles still registered in Oklahoma because it’s a lot cheaper than Colorado fees.
View Quote

$100 was the max when I did it.

The other option is to sell the vehicle. Like make your wife half owner. Then buy it back from her a few years later. As long as there's a name change on the title.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$100 was the max when I did it.

The other option is to sell the vehicle. Like make your wife half owner. Then buy it back from her a few years later. As long as there's a name change on the title.
View Quote

Have you successfully done that?

Our cars are all in joint tenancy,  but after reading your post I kind of want to have my wife and I start quitclaiming them back and forth just to be a smartass.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

not bad.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been living here for over a year now but I keep my residence at my brother's house in texas and register my vehicle there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you live in Oklahoma?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Just registered my new camper....$684
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My renewal is almost $500 this year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just registered my new camper....$684

My renewal is almost $500 this year

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm moving to CO soon. Not looking forward to this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm moving to CO soon. Not looking forward to this.
View Quote

Are you sure you're moving here and becoming a (taxable) resident? You're not just talking a job with a really long commute?

Although, as long as you vote okay you're cool. It's a good place even with all the people who should have stayed home.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Are you sure you're moving here and becoming a (taxable) resident? You're not just talking a job with a really long commute?

Although, as long as you vote okay you're cool. It's a good place even with all the people who should have stayed home.
View Quote

Don't worry about voting, I'm posting here aren't I?

My employer will be telling the fed/state gov't I live in CO, so I probably can't play the long commute card.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#36]
And then you get DMV fuckery like this for the icing on the cake:
DMV Fucks Military Vehicle Owners

When Dick Olmstead bought a used 1997 AM General Hummer in 2002, he never thought the Colorado Department of Revenue Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) would send him a letter cancelling his vehicle title and telling him he could no longer drive it on the public highways.
But it happened. And not just to him.
On March 22, the DMV sent out an unknown number of letters to Hummer owners voiding their highway-use titles and issuing them an “OHV-Surplus Military Vehicle” title that only allows them to register their commercial Hummers as off-highway vehicles.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Have you successfully done that?

Our cars are all in joint tenancy,  but after reading your post I kind of want to have my wife and I start quitclaiming them back and forth just to be a smartass.
View Quote

Once on a truck in Arapahoe county Aurora city. Once in weld county for a trailer.

A nice lady at the dmv clued me in on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I got a small bonus so I thought I might as well pony up and make it legal.  Called the office (Adams County) and they’re charging me for the time I didn’t have tags plus the coming year, totaling $1900!
I told her I’d have to just keep saving my pennies. Guess I’ll be selling a nice pistol soon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well I got a small bonus so I thought I might as well pony up and make it legal.  Called the office (Adams County) and they’re charging me for the time I didn’t have tags plus the coming year, totaling $1900!
I told her I’d have to just keep saving my pennies. Guess I’ll be selling a nice pistol soon.
View Quote

That... doesn't seem right. At least according to the responses above. That sucks!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah fuck all that. Just keep driving it. That’s what I’m doing

#YOLOBITCHESCOMEANDTAKEITFUCKERS!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#41]
The fine for not renewing your registration on time is capped at $100:

https://leg.colorado.gov/content/late-vehicle-registration-fees

My wife bought a new car last year and after seeing how much the registration fees were I decided not to put the new sticker on my plate as a test when I renewed mine a month later. Haven’t been pulled over in 10 months.

Needless to say I won’t be paying the exorbitant fees for her car until/if some enterprising young patrolman is bored enough to care.

About the only time I’ve heard of people getting tickets for expired registration is if they’re parked downtown on the street but that’s not a concern for me.

I believe the ticket for expired tags is something like $75 so as long as I can get away with it for four months I’ll easily come out ahead. If I can get the ticket dismissed it’s an even better deal.

As far as I’m concerned, the state has given me two fee schedules to choose from. One potentially involves a short interaction with the cops but is much cheaper.

Seems blatantly unconstitutional to have a fee for not renewing your registration on time to begin with though. The state should have to prove the vehicle was used during the period you’re being fined for. There’s no legal reason a car that was sitting in a garage for six months needs to be registered with the state.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#42]
You can get Montana plates for about $450 for the first year and $100 for every year after that according to my research.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top