Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2021 8:58:45 AM EDT
Me and family were given a house to stay in near Estes Park next week.  We were hoping to hike in RMNP but the weather looks like crap so what might be some good nice day trips or things to see within an hour or two from there?  We don't ski and we don't want to sit in the house watching it rain and snow.  Wish we could change to a warmer date with nicer weather but free house is hard to pass up.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Family and I were given a house to stay in near Estes Park next week.  We were hoping to hike in RMNP but the weather looks like crap so what might be some good nice day trips or things to see within an hour or two from there?  We don't ski and we don't want to sit in the house watching it rain and snow.  Wish we could change to a warmer date with nicer weather but free house is hard to pass up.  Thanks
View Quote

I wouldn't worry yet.  The forecast will likely change, though shitty forecasts tend to have more staying power.  Even if it does rain or snow, it may only last for an hour.

You could drive to Boulderia and hike around the Flatirons.  That's only about 30-45 minutes from Estes and the weather could be drastically different.  If I think of anything else, then I'll post again.  I suspect that others will post good ideas shortly.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#2]
honestly, call the park and ask. This is the Rockies, even on a rainy day IME it doesn't rain all day?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the drive down the Canyon to Loveland and shop around downtown.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate the suggestions so far.  Now the forecast is snow all week.  I'm looking into a day trip to those hot springs to the West.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate the suggestions so far.  Now the forecast is snow all week.  I'm looking into a day trip to those hot springs to the West.
View Quote

Glenwood Springs is a great place.   Lots of hot springs and an Adventure park on top of the mountain overlooking the springs.  The scenery (Glenwood Canyon) on 1-70 just east of the springs is amazing.  Weather supposed to be good in the springs most of the week you'll be in Estes Park.   Here is the downside - it's normally about a 3.5 hour drive from Estes to the springs.  Snowy weather on the first part of the drive will slow you down so add a half hour for that.  There is also road work on 1-70 between Vail Pass and Vail (15 miles) beginning April 12 from 7am-7pm every day, so add another half hour for that.  Your best bet would be to book a place in the springs overnight.  I know you said you don't ski, but there are some pretty cool tubing hills that would be fun and not expensive.  One is in Frisco, off of 1-70, on the way to Glenwood Springs.  Lastly, if you're renting a car ask for a all-wheel drive.  You'll thank me later. Be safe, have fun.

Things To Do In Glenwood Springs

I-70 Closures Week of April 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top