Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2020 10:11:00 AM EDT
I'm planning on taking a shorty pistol with suppressor along with a plate carrier & a few 30 round magazines.

I'll also have my Glock 19 with 15 round mags on the belt.

How illegal am I?
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Bring whatever you want. Nobody, including cops gives a shit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Treason is illegal too but mother fuckers never get hung let alone charged  for it.

I posted before only once was someone charged with a 15+ mag. He was a felon in possession of a gun and even his Mag charge was dropped before trial. Do as you wish.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bring whatever you want. Nobody, including cops gives a shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They're only "illegal" (that's in quotes because the law is illegal despite how the CSC rationalized.  Most of us are literate.) if you acquired them after June 30, 2013.  As others mentioned by others, very few here give a sh!t.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
This is how "illegal" they are.  Picture is from a few weeks ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]
LGS by me had a radio ad I heard 2 days ago advertising D60's for sale
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Treason is illegal too but mother fuckers never get hung let alone charged  for it.

I posted before only once was someone charged with a 15+ mag. He was a felon in possession of a gun and even his Mag charge was dropped before trial. Do as you wish.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, a lot more than one person has been charged, and some were convicted.  As of July of 2019, almost a dozed people have actually been sentenced.

https://www.kunc.org/2019-07-17/six-years-in-few-people-have-been-sentenced-under-colorados-large-capacity-magazine-ban#stream/0

Charges and prosecutions take place, the latest being just a few months ago:

https://kdvr.com/news/problem-solvers/former-vail-government-employee-accused-of-embezzling-854k/

Another recent case involves an arrest during one of the many protests and counter-protests during the summer in downtown Denver.  At least one person was charged with a magazine related offense, but the news article at the time did not specify whether that was an alleged violation of state or Denver laws.

The OP's question was "how illegal am I?" in the context of bringing 30-rd magazines and a "shorty pistol" into CO.  The answer is "illegal for several reasons".  Colorado State imposes a 15-rd limit while exempting magazines that were already in the state prior to a certain date.  Some jurisdictions have their own, more strict limits.  Denver, for example has a 15-rd limit that does not exempt any previously legal magazines.

In addition to the issues of magazines, the OP's "shorty pistol", which I assume is an SBR-like AR, will also run afoul of local Assault Weapon bans.  Denver and Boulder have these bans that are easy to look up on the internet.  One of the questions I'd consider is how is the OP getting to CO.  If the OP is flying into DIA, then he shouldn't assume that Denver's firearm laws aren't enforced there by Denver PD.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually, a lot more than one person has been charged, and some were convicted.  As of July of 2019, almost a dozed people have actually been sentenced.

https://www.kunc.org/2019-07-17/six-years-in-few-people-have-been-sentenced-under-colorados-large-capacity-magazine-ban#stream/0

https://kdvr.com/news/problem-solvers/former-vail-government-employee-accused-of-embezzling-854k/

Another recent case involves an arrest during one of the many protests and counter-protests during the summer in downtown Denver.  At least one person was charged with a magazine related offense, but the news article at the time did not specify whether that was an alleged violation of state or Denver laws.

The OP's question was "how illegal am I?" in the context of bringing 30-rd magazines and a "shorty pistol" into CO.  The answer is "illegal for several reasons".  Colorado State imposes a 15-rd limit while exempting magazines that were already in the state prior to a certain date.  Some jurisdictions have their own, more strict limits.  Denver, for example has a 15-rd limit that does not exempt any previously legal magazines.

In addition to the issues of magazines, the OP's "shorty pistol", which I assume is an SBR-like AR, will also run afoul of local Assault Weapon bans.  Denver and Boulder have these bans that are easy to look up on the internet.  One of the questions I'd consider is how is the OP getting to CO.  If the OP is flying into DIA, then he shouldn't assume that Denver's firearm laws aren't enforced there by Denver PD.

View Quote

The lesson here being, if you're in Colorado with standard mags, Keep Your Nose Clean. A DA could very well go after you for possession under the right circumstances.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
To answer some questions, I will be driving into Colorado from Texas driving briefly through NM.

I am not planning to go to any gun ranges, marches, public events, or anything of the sort with the pistol. Pistol in question is a 8.5" 300BO with a brace and suppressor. I will be transported in a covert carry case/bag in the back of the car. The only firearm I will have on my person during travel and if we go out during my stay will be a Glock 19 with factory 15 round magazines.

The shorty is just there for "in case of civil unrest break glass" situations. I'll be in Colorado Springs for the duration of my visit. No plans to travel into Denver or Boulder.

Would Magpul 20 round mags be a better option than the 30's?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#11]
No, they are equally illegal.  15 rounds is the statewide limit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll be fine.  Don't worry about what mags you bring. 99.9% of the cops outside of of Denver/Boulder won't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

The lesson here being, if you're in Colorado with standard mags, Keep Your Nose Clean. A DA could very well go after you for possession under the right circumstances.
View Quote

Anecdotal responses aside, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I suspect if I found myself in a situation where the firearm came into play, I would have greater concerns than what I would be charged with.

I tend to be the gray man and keep a low profile. I’ll be traveling with my three year old daughter and the family dog.  We will be visiting her cousins for the remainder of December through possibly the first week of January. It will be a nice long vacation.

I don’t expect any riots or mobs to descend on the neighborhood unless Trump wins.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Anecdotal responses aside, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I suspect if I found myself in a situation where the firearm came into play, I would have greater concerns than what I would be charged with.

I tend to be the gray man and keep a low profile. I’ll be traveling with my three year old daughter and the family dog.  We will be visiting her cousins for the remainder of December through possibly the first week of January. It will be a nice long vacation.

I don’t expect any riots or mobs to descend on the neighborhood unless Trump wins.
View Quote

If you’re in the Springs area and need support you’ll be covered.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I was thinking the other day "we need some more Texans here."

Luckily, you read my mind
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, they are equally illegal.  15 rounds is the statewide limit.
View Quote

@FP2000H  

They are illegal only if acquired after June 30, 2013.  Also, if OP is driving through bouderia and gets stopped, he's okay because he's not a boulderia resident.  

https://advance.lexis.com/documentpage/?pdmfid=1000516&crid=3488e5d5-28e0-4324-a6fa-cd4f207fd155&config=014FJAAyNGJkY2Y4Zi1mNjgyLTRkN2YtYmE4OS03NTYzNzYzOTg0OGEKAFBvZENhdGFsb2d592qv2Kywlf8caKqYROP5&pddocfullpath=%2fshared%2fdocument%2fstatutes-legislation%2furn%3acontentItem%3a60X7-SN81-FCSB-S3SN-00008-00&pdcontentcomponentid=234176&pdteaserkey=sr0&pditab=allpods&ecomp=c5w_kkk&earg=sr0&prid=c66ebb2d-1ef9-4945-9539-8db572c3718b

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/051613%20-%20Technical%20Guidance%20on%20Large-Cap%20Magazine%20Ban%20%281%29.pdf

Boulderia:

https://library.municode.com/co/boulder/codes/municipal_code?nodeId=TIT5GEOF_CH8WE_5-8-3DIFI

5-8-38. - State Preemption.
It is an affirmative defense to any charge of a violation of this chapter relating to carrying firearms that the defendant was carrying the firearm in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property or for hunting while traveling in, into or through the city, as permitted by § 18-12-105.6, C.R.S.

Ordinance Nos. 7134 (2001); 7299 (2003)

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you’re in the Springs area and need support you’ll be covered.
View Quote

I appreciate that.

I wish this could be a “any Colorado arfcommers want to get together for a drink” thread. We will probably be social distancing and therefore only staying in with our hosts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Went hiking at Red Rock Canyon today.

It was beautiful. What a beautiful state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top