Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 10:09:47 PM EDT
The family and I are heading to Colorado from Fort Collins south to New Mexico. I wanted to take the family on a decent train ride in the mountains and read that some offer night trips to see the stars. Any recommendations?

TIA
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure which ones offer nighttime sightseeing trips, but every single one is in the southwest part of Colroado, and much farther south than Fort Collins. Where are you going in New Mexico? Adding a train trip will likely add at least a full day if you want to do a roundtrip, unless you are doing a shorter railroad like the Georgetown Loop.

Roughly in order from north to south:

Georgetown & Silver Plume (Georgetown Loop RR - only about 4 miles long but they do have a silver mine tour as well)
Leadville (Leadville Colorado & Southern RR)
Cripple Creek & Victor (Cripple Creek & Victor NGRR - there's a nice gold mine tour in the area)
Canon City (Royal Gorge Route RR)
Alamosa & La Veta (Rio Grande Scenic RR) - probably the closest to I-25 (for La Veta, anyway)
Durango & Silverton (Durango & Silverton NGRR) - southwest corner of CO
Antonito (Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR) - one end is in CO and the other is in NM, roughly halfway between I-25 and Durango. Probably the longest, with D&S being a close second.

I've been on the Georgetown Loop, Royal Gorge, and Durango & Silverton. Of those three, the D&S was my favorite. I'm hoping to ride the C&T this summer.

http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_15430925
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top