Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2014 9:44:53 PM EDT
Im going to be coming in for 3rd rifle for elk this year. Im going to be hunting in Untit 017/171 and I will be bringing my AR10. I know that CO has a new law about 15 round mags and hunting regs state that no more then 6 round in a semi auto but was wondering if I bring a 10 round mag and just load it with only 5 rounds will I be ok or do I need to put a block in the mag?

The regs state the following: Page 12 in the 2014 Colorado Big Game

If semiautomatic, a maximum of six rounds are allowed in the magazine and chamber combined.

It just states a max of six in the magazine and chamber but does not clarify if the magazine could be larger then 5.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I would NOT take this as gospel, but I believe they want a 5 round mag, period.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I second the above.  It's not worth screwing up hunting time to deal with a cranky Division Wildlife Manager due to different interpretations of the regs over a 20 dollar magazine.

Just block it out to 5 rounds and save yourself any potential headaches.

Magpul makes some limiters for the LR/SR PMAGs.

magpul limiters
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree with above. You don't want to deal with the DOW guys I you can avoid it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
There are no "different" interpretations.  In Colorado, magazine may not hold more than 5 rounds for a semi-auto rifle used for big game hunting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Just buy a 5rd mag and you won't have anything to worry about.

People have blocked 10rd mags to only hold 5 Rds but I still think it is a slight risk. DOW is not an organization you want to screw with.  They have the power to seize pretty much everything you have with you, whether you own it or not.  Truck, gun, gear etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty sure it either has to be blocked or buy the correct size one. Good luck, I'll be in area 12 at the same time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top