Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 4:49:13 PM EDT
So what does "No Firearms" mean? Educate me...  I specifically asked my CCW permit instructor about this sign and he didn't know the answer.

I doubt it means lawful concealed carry or having an unloaded gun locked in your trunk in the parking lot is illegal. But I don't know for sure. Figure there are enough smart guys/gals here that someone has researched this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]

I'd almost say "No Hunting or Discharge of Firearms" .
I'm not far...I hike the " Other Side" w/ my dog and always carry CCW. I'm to off the beaten path. I hike out of my neighborhood. That sign is way over on the other side, where are the "tourists" park.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey we might be "neighbors". I live right beside foothills park and elementary school. These signs are fairly new and up at all the access points West of foothills school where the neighborhood streets dead end into the park. I don't usually go to the trailheads on Alameda unless I loop over that way on my mountain bike. Today I actually walked all the way over there, but the sign is from the end of South Coors.

I don't have my permit yet and CO doesn't recognize my out of state permit...so I am stuck with open carry. The normal place I access the park is perfect for open carry, I rarely see another trail user.

In other states I have noticed  the signs said "pursuant to code blah blah blah" to indicate concealed carry was ok.  

If my understanding of the law is correct a park can't trump state law with a sign? But I don't know who owns this park, JeffCo? Lakewood?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't have my permit yet and CO doesn't recognize my out of state permit...

What state(s) do you have your permit from?  If you have a non-resident permit from a state that is on the reciprocity list (Florida, etc) even if you weren't a Florida resident, you can still CCW for 90 days with it...
CRS 18-12-213

Quoted:
If my understanding of the law is correct a park can't trump state law with a sign? But I don't know who owns this park, JeffCo? Lakewood?

In term of CCW'ing - correct...as long as it's not school or federal property.
CRS 18-12-214

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What state(s) do you have your permit from?  If you have a non-resident permit from a state that is on the reciprocity list (Florida, etc) even if you weren't a Florida resident, you can still CCW for 90 days with it...
CRS 18-12-213

Quoted:

CRS 18-12-214

I have a Utah non-resident permit. My NM permit is no good since I have changed my official residency to CO.  So, my permit is no good here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Theres a sign?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Concealed means concealed

I'm sure that sign is there to keep idiot yokel shotgunners from shootin stuf wit paws gun and trashing the place. Unless there is a sign explicitly stating "no firearms" on public land, someone will shoot a tv/water heater/fridge and leave it there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Theres a sign?

I didn't see a sign either...
-SS

I just realized your initials are FAP...  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was going to CST I used to wake up early and hike around green mountain before the sun came up and Id watch all the elk and huge ass mule deer to get pumped for elk season. I always chuckled when I saw that sign.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I would interpet the sign to mean no open carry.

The parks around my house have a similar warning and I carry concealed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#10]
So, RTFM... I looked up the park rules, its a city of lakewood park.

FIREARMS: Open carrying of firearms is prohibited in parks. (9.32.050)

And,

NUDITY: Is prohibited (9.32.210)  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Utah non-resident permit. My NM permit is no good since I have changed my official residency to CO.  So, my permit is no good here.

Assuming you have a CO DL...what is the date of issue on your DL?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming you have a CO DL...what is the date of issue on your DL?

I've been here a while now, that ship has sailed.

In the odd chance this constitutional carry bill goes through I won't have to bother with a(nother) permit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CRS 18-12-213

Quoted:

CRS 18-12-214

Just making sure I understand this, because I have received many mixed messages on the subject from assorted gun-store employees and the guys who ran my Colorado CWP class:

I just moved here from Florida, where I've held a valid resident's permit for the last ten years.  I got here on 2/1.  I applied for a Colorado CWP on 2/4.  I also got my CO driver's license on 2/4.  So if I read that statute correctly, my Florida concealed weapons permit is valid until 4/4.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just making sure I understand this, because I have received many mixed messages on the subject from assorted gun-store employees and the guys who ran my Colorado CWP class:

I just moved here from Florida, where I've held a valid resident's permit for the last ten years.  I got here on 2/1.  I applied for a Colorado CWP on 2/4.  I also got my CO driver's license on 2/4.  So if I read that statute correctly, my Florida concealed weapons permit is valid until 4/4.

Correct.  You can legally carry as if you had a Colorado CCW permit until 4/4 under the reciprocity provision, provided your Florida permit did not 'expire' when you left the state.  I know they do non-resident licenses, but I am not sure if you license remains valid once you are no longer a resident.  That part may be worth a phone call to see if your permit is still valid as a non-resident.

CRS 18-12-213: Reciprocity

(1) A permit to carry a concealed handgun or a concealed weapon that is issued by a state that recognizes the validity of permits issued pursuant to this part 2 shall be valid in this state in all respects as a permit issued pursuant to this part 2 if the permit is issued to a person who is:

(a) Twenty-one years of age or older; and

(b) (I) A resident of the state that issued the permit, as demonstrated by the address stated on a valid picture identification that is issued by the state that issued the permit and is carried by the permit holder; or

(II) A resident of Colorado for no more than ninety days, as determined by the date of issuance on a valid picture identification issued by Colorado and carried by the permit holder.

(2) For purposes of this section, a "valid picture identification" means a driver's license or a state identification issued in lieu of a driver's license.

CBI Reciprocity List

I'm not sure why instructors have issues wrapping their head around the law says.  I understand it is not something that is provided in the curriculum by NRA, but they should at least be familiar with the ins and outs of it as it is not overly complicated.  If not, they should at least have copies of all the weapons laws with them for class that they can share with the students if need be.

Gun store employees...well, that's a whole different story.  I wouldn't be trusting them for legal advice.

HTH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top