Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 8:35:45 PM EDT
I am taking a trip there the first week of August from Texas. I am a bass fishing guy but have never tried fly fishing. Should I get a day guide? Seems like learning the ropes with a guide might be a good idea. What attractions in the park are a must see?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:21:12 AM EDT
[#1]
are you talking about sights in the town of Estes Park, or in Rocky Mountain National Park?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
are you talking about sights in the town of Estes Park, or in Rocky Mountain National Park?

Rocky Mountain. Sorry I'm a newb.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The one must-see in the park is to take a drive up and over Trail Ridge Road.  Along the way there are many excellent panoramic views (Many Parks Curve, Rainbow Curve, Forest Canyon Overlook . . .)

Up Trail Ridge Road, a walk on the tundra (parking/bathrooms just past the "Rock Cut") is usually excellent and brisk.

A stroll around Bear Lake is easy and works for a wide range of people.

A sleeper destination is to check out the Colorado River headwaters in the park (or just hike to the river where it's still trivially wadable).

For fly fishing –– I don't do it –– but the Big Thompson has quite a reputation, as you likely know. http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/cobigthompson.html

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Fly fishing in the National Park itself is challenging.  If you have no previous experience, then you'll want a guide.  You can consider a fly fishing trip on the Big Thompson either in or out of the park, the section outside is probably better fishing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top