Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 3:20:25 PM EDT
Jeffco finally got my CC Permit to me last week after nearly a three month wait, but oh well.

So what are the rules on Concealed Carry in Colorado as far as what type of establiments you can be in?  Bars?  Churches?

Also, are there any other places other than City & County of Denver that Open Carry is illegal (or highly looked down on)?

Thanks gents!  Figured I better ask... not sure how similar things are up here in comparison to Arizona.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't carry in courts, schools or places that have metal detectors at all entrances. Everywhere else you're GTG. We have very good carry laws. Signs also hold no legal weight in this state. Remember though, if you're asked to leave while carrying and don't you can be charged with trespassing.

As for open carry, i would avoid Denver. I know Thorton has signs at parks stating it is illegal to open carry, but i don't know if they have the legal grounds for that with state preemption. Denver managed to get past that with a loophole, but i don't think any other cities in the state fall into that home city rule or whatever it is.

Check out RMGO for more info.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
K-12 schools are out of bounds, as are public buildings with electronic screening and mall ninjas at all public entrances.

Federal buildings are typically also no-go while armed.

The statute doesn't list any types of private buildings as being off-limits.

There's a statute that makes it a crime to cause a weapon to be present in public transit "without lawful authority." I imagine that a CFL is plenty of "lawful authority" but I don't think it's ever been tested in court.

Open carry...cities or counties can restrict it in limited areas, but must post signs around those areas. Usually you see this around parks. And those cities have zero power to restrict CCW pursuant to your license in the same parks.

Occasionally, you'll see a sign at a private business about no firearms being allowed. These signs probably have no force of law of their own-there's no statute defining them or what they mean. They might be used to support a trespassing charge if you get caught, but I've not heard of even that much being tested.

My personal attitude is, any business with a sign like that is announcing to the world that my money's not good enough for them. So I just shop elsewhere and send the manager a polite letter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
so you can carry in a bar ? I thought that was a no no... ?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
you can as long and you are not drinking.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Can't carry in courts, schools or places that have metal detectors at all entrances. Everywhere else you're GTG. We have very good carry laws. Signs also hold no legal weight in this state. Remember though, if you're asked to leave while carrying and don't you can be charged with trespassing.

As for open carry, i would avoid Denver. I know Thorton has signs at parks stating it is illegal to open carry, but i don't know if they have the legal grounds for that with state preemption. Denver managed to get past that with a loophole, but i don't think any other cities in the state fall into that home city rule or whatever it is.

I just want to see something that says that signs have no weight for CCW.  I thought personal property (such as a private business) is subject to owners discretion?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

K-12 schools are out of bounds, as are public buildings with electronic screening and mall ninjas at all public entrances.

Federal buildings are typically also no-go while armed.

The statute doesn't list any types of private buildings as being off-limits.

There's a statute that makes it a crime to cause a weapon to be present in public transit "without lawful authority." I imagine that a CFL is plenty of "lawful authority" but I don't think it's ever been tested in court.

Open carry...cities or counties can restrict it in limited areas, but must post signs around those areas. Usually you see this around parks. And those cities have zero power to restrict CCW pursuant to your license in the same parks.

Occasionally, you'll see a sign at a private business about no firearms being allowed. These signs probably have no force of law of their own-there's no statute defining them or what they mean. They might be used to support a trespassing charge if you get caught, but I've not heard of even that much being tested.

My personal attitude is, any business with a sign like that is announcing to the world that my money's not good enough for them. So I just shop elsewhere and send the manager a polite letter.

same attitude here.  i think RMGO even has cards to hand out to these businesses.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just want to see something that says that signs have no weight for CCW.  I thought personal property (such as a private business) is subject to owners discretion?

I would think it would be subject to an enforceable code like TX's "30.06" signs. I'm basing what i learned in my concealed carry course and from others. I could not cite a statue one way or another.  

If i was asked to leave the private property, i would do so whether i was carrying or not.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The CRS does not mention anything about signs.  But it does state that the law does not take away private property rights.  I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for carrying where a sign is posted.

RMGO does have cards to give to owners with signs and you are encouraged to contact RMGO with the specifics of the business.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#10]
On open carry:  The same law which authorized statewide concealed carry gave local governments the option to forbid open carry.  Only Denver and Manitou Springs have done so, that I'm aware.

On posted private property:  If you carry concealed on posted private property, the property owner can have you cited for trespassing - which is basically just a warning.  If after being trespassed once, you ever go on that private property again (carrying concealed or not), then you get arrested.  The arrest is not related to your carrying, per se, but to your ignoring posted restrictions related to private property.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top