Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2009 6:26:29 AM EDT
Yep, Mudwife and I are making the move in about a week.

Can arfcom Colorado division give a brief run down on good gun shops, ammo supplies and shooting ranges in the area?

See youse guys out there in a week or so.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The free range at Rampart Range (other side of the mtns from WP, towards CS) was recently closed due to a shooting death.  Lake George has a range, don't know much about it, though.  You've got tons of national forest to shoot in, though; be sure to follow regulations.  If you drive west from WP toward Wilkerson Pass, either go north from Lake George or head farther up the pass, there are roads to the north toward Tarryall in the NF; I've shot there before.  Get off the road, be sure of your backstop and don't shoot trees.  Clean up after yourself too.

Specialty Sports in the Springs is the biggest gun shop, with lots of guns and ammo, though they're quite proud of both.  The last time I was in Sportsmans Warehouse a couple of weeks ago, it looked like they'd stocked up on guns after quite a drought.  Walmart can be hit or miss on ammo, but they probably have the best prices.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple of us in WP, and many more down in the springs. Many of us shoot in the National Forest. Feel free to email me and I can get you hooked up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I will email you once we are settled. I had no idea you could simply head out to a secluded area in the Nat Park and shoot.

One thing that is somewhat surprising is the CCW law. Mudwife and I both have Missouri CCW and since we live here Co will honor those as long as you are living in the state you are licensed in. Nice lady ( she really was very pleasant and helpful) at the Sheriffs dept said we need to re apply once in Co. Our training certificates are good we just have to go through the checks and finger printing again. No big deal just kinda funny they need to run all the checks again.

Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

I will email you once we are settled. I had no idea you could simply head out to a secluded area in the Nat Park and shoot.

One thing that is somewhat surprising is the CCW law. Mudwife and I both have Missouri CCW and since we live here Co will honor those as long as you are living in the state you are licensed in. Nice lady ( she really was very pleasant and helpful) at the Sheriffs dept said we need to re apply once in Co. Our training certificates are good we just have to go through the checks and finger printing again. No big deal just kinda funny they need to run all the checks again.

Are Where you allowed classIII stuff in Missouri?
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
It is allowed but I do not have anything. It is fairly simple in Mo and really just a matter of paying the money.

Things like silencers are a letter and a tax stamp.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Things like silencers are a letter and a tax stamp.

Well it is a little bit more than that...Was just wondering if you were comming here from a free state or not.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can arfcom Colorado division give a brief run down on good gun shops, ammo supplies and shooting ranges in the area?

See youse guys out there in a week or so.

Welcome and we'll get you caught up... I have several friends that live in WP and Teller CTY.  There are plenty of places to shoot but the gun supplies might be limited without a trip.

Check out "tincup's" thread here and his 3-gun action that's a few minutes up HWY 24 near Lake George.

WP is also the home of Rexford knives...  (Todd is good people.)

So how the heck did a MO boy arbitrarily end up in Woodland Park?  

B2

Oh yeah, the snow could fly soon after your arrival but I promise the temps won't be the mild, cozy, Ozark region fall style and you'll probably see the first freeze by mid-to-late September.  Regardless, it's a great place to live.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how the heck did a MO boy arbitrarily end up in Woodland Park?  

B2

Oh yeah, the snow could fly soon after your arrival but I promise the temps won't be the mild, cozy, Ozark region fall style and you'll probably see the first freeze by mid-to-late September.  Regardless, it's a great place to live.

Long story short. Mudwifes business cratered due to the economy. Full on 40% drop. I develop commercial real estate over a very large part of the US.  Number 1 son is out of college Number 2 is in college in KC. We looked around at the devastation of industry here in St. Louis. It has all moved out, and decided to start over someplace else.

She was hired as a veterinarian in Co Springs. We found a house to rent just past Woodland Park and said what the hell. We ride mountain bikes, Kayak, dirt bikes, dual sport bikes, hike, I have skied since age 12 and had one of the first snowboards back in 84. Mudwife has run and finished the Leadville 100 running race on several occasions and living at 9400' (that's where the house is) should help her training for that. Bottom line there was no reason to stay in this 90% humidity dying town any longer and now was the time to do what we like to do.

As far as what's coming weather wise. We have been wondering just how soon the snow would fly and how cold it will get. No real issue as we both spend a lot of time outdoors and don't sweat the weather much unless it is the hellish heat here. We often see some extended stretches in the teens and twenties. Oh well, they always make more layers.......right???????

Thanks for the welcome and we certainly look forward to the local knowledge.

Link Posted: 9/1/2009 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#10]
No hellish heat here. Usually have a snow (sometimes only 2-3" sometimes 2-3') by the end of October, sometimes it starts in September. With as wet was this summer have been it would not suprize me if we started in Septmeber this year. I am not sure were you are near Woodland but unless you are up towards Divide then you are probably closer to 8500' than 9500'

Are you all going to be in by the holiday weekend?
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#11]
That commute can get old, let me tell ya.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#12]
We will be between WP and Divide. Google Earth shows the house at approx 9400' but who knows. It's freaking high enough that I'm going to be gasping for breath for awhile and I'm in pretty good shape.

We were somewhat concerned about the commute but she has a 4 day schedule so that should help. She's figuring an hour each way based on having driven it earlier this summer and adding some. If I have interwebs and a phone I am good 75% of the time. When I do travel it is usually pretty far so I'll be making my way to Denver or Co sprgs if I can get a flight.

We love going to Moab Utah. Anyone know how long it takes shooting west on 24 and going just south of the LaSalle mtns?

We are planning on heading out Labor Day Monday and making it a day drive. Mudwife will have her Ridgeline loaded with the critters.2 dogs 3 cats. I will be somewhat slower hauling the trailer with our immediate needs in it. POD to be shipped in a few weeks with the balance. It usually takes us 12-13 hours to Denver but I'm figuring closer to 18 for me to Co sprgs hauling the trailer.

Thank Dog for satellite radio.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#13]
TO I-70 west from here I go west on 24 then 9 into Fairplay and then over Hoosier Pass into Breckenridge and catch 70 at Frisco. It was been 6 years since I have been to Moab I do not remember how long it is. .
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome...

I live south of Divide on Hwy 67.

I shoot on my property.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

Be careful. Learn the difference between National Park and National Forrest. We have both here. The first is a big no no and the second is fine unless posted otherwise.

Vic.

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

Be careful. Learn the difference between National Park and National Forrest. We have both here. The first is a big no no and the second is fine unless posted otherwise.

Vic.

Oh Man I freeked out there of a minute, I thought that I had types National Park! Good catch Vic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys. I will make sure it is National FOREST and keep my butt out of trouble. Things like that will send a shudder down your back alright.

We will be up there soon enough and we look forward to meeting some of you.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
You'll love it compared to MO...  Touron season and traffic up/down 24 occasionally sucks but I've had several friends doing it for years.  It's NOTHING compared to I-70 out of Denver though.

Might as well sign up and check out this place too:  http://www.co-ar15.com/

B2

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to live in WP right down from the high school (17 years ago).  After reading this, I wish I was moving back or at least visiting.  It is such a beautiful place.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#20]
We made it!!

Took 15 hours and we got in at midnight. Try finding your way on little county roads with a trailer in tow in the dark. It was an adventure.

At any rate we are mostly moved in and the GPS says that yes we are at 9,326' between Woodland Park and Divide to the east of 24.

Surprisingly the bulldog is breathing better here that in Stl. Less O2 but also less humidity and crap in the air. Gonna need to get a bigger cal handgun though.  Neighbors say bears on their deck happen from time to time. All I have is 9mm, and 45 in handgun. I'm thinking a S&W 329 pd, Looks light, shoots 44 mag and is fairly compact for hiking. It does not however look fun to go plinking with. No, not shooting bear or other critters for being around the house.  Just if we are out hiking and they take exception to us or one of the mutts who we have put bells on to warn of their presence.

We Look forward to finding some good places to shoot and do some sploring on the back roads. The Tacoma has new skins on it for reasonably rough terrain and wants to get dirty.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't discount the single actions. Ruger Blackhawks in .44mag (or if you reload .45LC (my favorite)).

Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep trash/garbage, bird food/feeders and dog food off the deck and not around the house.  Don't encourage the bears.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#23]
We knew from camping to keep the trash in. But.......we left out a bag with nothing in it. I mean it had some packing paper and misc stuff but no foods. Wellllll, some lil critter decided to take a peek anyway, pulled out a few paper towels, said what the hell there's no food in here and left.

The dogs have pretty big eyes at all the new smells when we go for a walk. They also seem to be breathing better than I am.  

I have recv'd emails from some of you guys and will be able to respond later today. Thanks for all the help so far.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Keep trash/garbage, bird food/feeders and dog food off the deck and not around the house.  Don't encourage the bears.

Up here the garbage does not do out until the morning of the trash pickup. I take bags out thoughout the week and set them in the cans in the garage. Cans then come out on trash day.  Several of the garbage guys up here (Waste Management) will pickup your stuff off the ground if something gets into it, but I am not sure how many time they would continue to do that.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in WP right across from hospital. Bears aren't a problem . Keep trash in garage till trash pickup morning like Longhunter said.
Plenty to do, plenty of Nat forest. Go to lights in Divide, take a right, stay right at fork and just go for a ride. Hayman Burn has lots of trails and plenty places to shoot. Archery and muzzleloaders starting this weekend, just be aware of other folks in forest and it works out well, I'm heading out to Gunnison for muzzle loader tommorow. Have fun....

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I am also a new WP resident. I live about 4 blocks south of starbucks. I have already met longhunter, and would like to meet the rest of the Wp crew. How about a meetup tonight at the Oktoberfest?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top